Roadster Water Leaks

Roadster90

I posted the below on the Journal and had some views, but no help and or suggestions - can anyone here offer any please?

Thanks,

Nic

When it poured heavily not to long ago the carpet behind the seats was soaked - actually somewhat standing water !  I wrote Barney and he described/suggested dropping the top, locating the 2 drain channels on both sides and blowing them out with a compressor.  I had no problem finding the channels and the drains at the end of the channels but when blowing they seemed clear or open.

I have dried the carpet/s well and/but somewhat afraid to leave it out in excessive wet weather (I know I will have to sooner or later).  Just curious if anyone has any experience  and or other suggestions please?  And Thanks,

Nic

*Only other thing I can add is I did leave the top down with the car in the garage for several months and had somewhat of a hard time getting it fitted up/closed again......

I am pretty sure I answered this question as it has been ask before. 

On the convertible (roadster) the gasket between the trunk and top boot has a channel and drain (one on each side of the car)

There is a tube from the gasket drain down to the rear wheel well,  which as a drain channel welded to it,  the waster goes to the wheel well channel then out of the car in front of the rear wheel. 

If the tube is missing, disconnected or damaged,  water goes onto the front of the trunk floor and that slopes into the passenger compartment.

Also if the drains in front of the rear wheels are plugged the same thing happens.

You can also get some water leaking around the side windows but that seldom pools. 

Thank you both Gentlemen........Barney, I am fairly sure I understood your explanation on the channel drain running down to the tube......I took an air gun and blew (about 90-100 lbs.) into the tube where the tube disappears or exits the trunk, and with the action I did not feel any back pressure/resistance.  It seemed/sounded that the air was escaping or exiting............somewhere.  However I could not locate where the drain/s in front of the rear wheel exit the cars wheel well ?  Barney could you provide a general/approximate area or what to look for please?

And Thanks Padget - great idea ..... and the top has been replaced before (and by an excellent well seasoned technician) however "stuff" happens.  And rear glass separation is also a possibility.  A water hose test is forthcoming (the car is blocked into the rear section of the garage and will take a little time).

Also Gentlemen, by leaving the top in the down position for several months have any effect on the seals/gaskets please?

Thanks Much for the Replies...

Nic 

when you put your top up and push down on the two rear pins to lock the rear down is the rear gasket making good contact with the tonneau cover?   I have seen some have a bit of a gap which would leave water in, that can be adjusted to make it a tighter fit

Wow Y-JonFan.....Thank you as well - you might have brought something up.  The rear bow has always been very difficult/hard to engage - that is the pins in the bow with whatever is in the "top cover" or receivers that engage.  I always have heard something like a solid click.  However at some point within the last couple of years I do remember seeing  a small amount of daylight in the right inside corner part of the bow seal/gasket after raising the top.  I lowered and re raised  the top and did not see it again.  I will definitely take another look at this as well - that is again raise and lower the top a few times to check.

I will also do an extensive water hose procedure....

I am not sure where it is and even how to use it, but many years ago I bought a special wrench - adjusting tool for the top bow pins or receivers........