Vin number location - 1940 Hollywood Graham

Paulscott

I know the data plate with the serial number (chassis number) is on the right rear floorboard of the Shark noses. Screwed in place under the carpet. None of those fancy rivets of later years. 

Have you checked out     https://www.grahamownersclub.com/    ?

VIN was not used as a term until the 1980 model year, and is 17 digits. But we know what you mean. Some sources say VIN was used starting in 1954, but no specific format, and not 17 digits.

Until 1950's most cars were registered to the engine number not the serial number. 

Yes sedan rear seat area, passenger side floor, under the carpet, near the door sill.  On coupes and roadsters it is attached to the seat frame. 

There can be up to three tags, the serial number should be in this range.  If you get numbers I might be able to give some history of the car, if it has been in the Graham Owners Club.

1940 Graham Hollywood Supercharger 109 - Serial Numbers 700001-700145

Paul in case you did not understand my comment, a Sharknose is a 1938 to 1940 Graham before the Hollywood design came out.

So with four replies saying right rear seat floor, have you looked under the carpet (if any) yet?🤔

I think Paul is real new to the forum... Hope he is able to get back to us. 

I do not recognize the Stanford Evens Service Manual, nice post.  I have been asked the Graham serial number question more time than I remember, first time I have seen the answer in print (no mention of it on the net).   Hope you don't mind if I share it again someday?

Missed buying my friends Graham Model 97 (Sharknose)  I still regret missing that one.

image.png.d5e6eca596ad3086ea20529b52e8ef06.png

12 hours ago, Graham Man said:

I do not recognize the Stanford Evens Service Manual, nice post.  I have been asked the Graham serial number question more time than I remember, first time I have seen the answer in print (no mention of it on the net).   Hope you don't mind if I share it again someday?

To my knowledge, Sanford-Evans never published service manuals.  They published Data books on most vehicles that were sold new in North America for insurance agencies, motor licensing authorities, and dealers in used cars.  The one I have here was given to me by my grandfather years ago who worked for a Pontiac dealership in the early 1950's, and covers cars from 1935-1947.

An example of the data it contains here:   https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/general-studebaker-specific-discussion/94898-prewar-studebaker-prices-nosediving   (it was for a topic that included '36-'37 Cords, therefore, I only scanned the Cord page to show how much higher prices were in Canada; especially real small independents that did not have a manufacturing facility in Canada.)

Craig

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Vin number location - 1940 Hollywood Graham