Rear wheel removal

highcking

If you're jacking it up with the rear end, you'll be fighting to get the tire out from under the wheel opening.  I typically will jack it up with the rear end, then stick jack stands just ahead of the wheels on the frame rail...then lower the jack until the rear end is hanging free.  That will buy some room.

• Like 3

On 10/26/2020 at 12:17 AM, highcking said:

Jacking up the frame just behind the front wheels and just ahead of the rear wheels worked like a charm. That's why shops have frame hoists! Thanks to all who replied.

Bill in Luray

Jacking by the chassis gives the same benefit as if you had used the original bumper jack,

but with additional safety.

This will also serve you well if ever you need to change a tire  "on the road",

and maybe carry a good block of wood along with the floor jack you carry in the trunk, as well as a jackstand.

Yoou can get a decent lightweight aluminum floor (trolley) jack at discount outfits such as Harbor Freight, as well as many other more high-priced suppliers.

I carry one whenever I drive an old car, and keep one in our daily drivers.

• Like 1

Marty - I agree with your thoughts. You know, I've been driving "classics" since about 1982 when I bought a 1963 Cadillac (great car) as a daily driver, and I've never had a roadside flat. Closest I came was about 20 years ago on a big Model A Club tour, when I had a flat on my '31 Sport Coupe ... in front of my motel room! With two good sidemounts, swapping it out was a 15 minute affair. For that matter, I've never had a roadside flat with other cars/trucks either, though recently my 2015 Dodge Ram warned me of an impending flat and I got home OK. Nevertheless, I always have a good, inflated spare, bumper jack, and wheel chock in the trunk. With the Model A, I do carry a scissor jack, as the original style bottle jack is not really safe.

You have some wonderful cars. I also have a Mercury Marquis, 1977 vintage. One of last of the great behemoths and a superb road car.

Bill

10 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

along with the floor jack you carry in the trunk

On many cars the floor jack will not fit under the car if the tire is flat.  I had to use the bumper jack to get it up a little before using the floor jack.  If had brought only the floor jack, I would be waiting the usual 1-2 hours for roadside assistance.  Check it out at home first.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Years ago when I worked in a GM Parts Department we had a Lady customer who worked for the Government.  Every two years she bought a new Oldsmobile and turned in her 40,000 mile old one.  Most of her miles were in rural Manitoba.  When her car was ready to be delivered a mechanic met her out on the lot and took two wheels (1 front and 1 rear) and put them back on, then she did the same on the opposite side.  He showed her how to get the spare out of the trunk and where and how to check everything under the hood. Besides her small tool kit she always left with antifreeze, WW fluid, complete set of belts, spark plugs, points and condenser.  In the 14 years (seven Oldsmobiles for her) that I worked there she never had to use anything but always wanted to know how just in case of a breakdown out in the sticks.