1954 Skylark power seat switch

I am working on a 54 Skylark convertible for a friend, and the power seat does not work when using the switch. I can remove the switch plug, use some jumpers and make the seat work. I sent the switch to Hydro-E-Lectric under the impression that they could repair it. They called after receiving the switch and said that they do not repair them, but checked it , and that it was good. I received it today, and plugged it in, and it still does not operate the seat. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the plug? Maybe someone at one time put the wires in the plug in the wrong spot. Also, someone has done some soldering on the back side, and maybe added some copper (see pic.) or is the copper supposed to be there? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_1791.JPG

Found a diagram on Hometown Buicks web site, but the plug in the car does not match the one on the web. I can get a picture of it tomorrow. There are 3 wires on a plug, and one separate wire that is for the up / down.

There are two. I can adjust the seat up and down and forward and back by using jumper wires in the plug contacts, but not with the switch. I am thinking that either the switch is wrong or the plug. There are only four wires, a pink, orange, orange with black tracer in the plug, and a separate single orange. The wiring diagram shows five,and colors don't completely match. I'll get some more pictures tomorrow.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, rocken said:

Thanks John, just double checked, and they are all tight. The plug will fit either way, and one way only the motor will work for forward/ back, and the other way only the cylinders will click.

What cylinders are you talking about and what does the switch look like from the front side? 

Here is a pic. of the front of the switch. The cylinders under the seat will click. If I am testing the switch the way I think it should work, it is not working. I put 12V on the feed ( center pole ) and moved the knob one way, and have power, the other way, nothing. move to the up position and have power, move to the down position, have power also. I'm not convinced this is even the correct switch for the car. The solder on the bottom looks like someone was trying to make it work for this seat.  The owner said the seat has never worked since he has owned the car. It was not plugged in when it came to me. He has owned the car about 6 years. Was supposed to have had a complete restoration when he bought it. 

IMG_1803.JPG

IMG_1806.JPG

On 10/24/2020 at 3:59 PM, rocken said:

. . . The cylinders under the seat will click . . . I'm not convinced this is even the correct switch for the car. The solder on the bottom looks like someone was trying to make it work for this seat.  The owner said the seat has never worked since he has owned the car . . . 

Let's start over for a clearer understanding.

In my first post I asked how many seat adjuster motors you had under the seat and you said two. In your latest post you mentioned cylinders under the seat. I don't believe that you have the electric motors as shown in my picture showing the wiring layout from a Buick Master Body Parts Book that applies to only 50-series SUPERS and 70-series ROADMASTERS as an option, not advertised as available on 40-60 series.

OEM 1954 Model 100 Skylark front seats were powered by hydraulic cylinders with a built-in electrical solenoid as part of its hydro-lectric system. An OEM installation would have one hydraulic line and one wire running to each cylinder. Is this what you have? Typically, the electric power extends the hydraulic cylinder's rod to move the front seat forward and a coiled spring pulls the seat backwards. Similar for the up/down movement.

In either case, I believe that one of the four internal bronze strap-springs (not a coiled spring) is not making contact (weak or broken) with one of the four contacts, thus causing your problem. IMO, a different operative switch will solve your problem. 

The following picture is edited to include the note "50-70 Series" only. I've never seen a wiring or hydraulic line layout for a 1954 Skylark hydro-lectric powered front seat. If your front seat is out of the 'Lark, a picture would clear-up a few questions. Thanks.

1-Scan-040.thumb.jpg.42d50bd753464e36f6765072bcd6870a.jpg

Sorry for the confusion, there are no motors under the seat, only two hydraulic hydraulic cylinders. They work as you described.

Sorry I can't provide a picture. The owner took the car home yesterday to beat the snow.

I think the switch is the problem, I am a little hesitant to take it apart but since it doesn't work anyway, I may as well. 

I have been looking for a switch, but the only ones I find are the ones that would plug in to a plug that would match the wiring diagram. 

Thank you for all your help! I will probably take the switch apart and see if there is anything I can repair, and continue to search for a replacement.

I am also trying to find the correct carpet. Will continue next spring when the owner returns from Florida.

Thanks again!

Ken

The solder repair on the back of the switch has me concerned.  I think a replacement is in order, or give it to a pro for repair.  Be careful not to buy a switch for the larger series units with one or two electric motors.  

Are you in contact with the Skylark guys?  This one is unique to those cars, according to my books:  Group 11.558, part number 4647059 is unique to the 54 Skylarks.

Thank you for the reply. I agree that there is something suspicion about the switch. Do you have someone you would recommend for repair?

I have not been in contact with any Skylark group. Would you have a recommendation there? I did a quick search on the internet, but didn't find one that seemed to specialize in the older Skylark. Also did a search of the part number, but nothing there.

Thanks again for your help!

Ken