Carburetor heat shield/gasket

Car is parked for the winter and I was putzing around the garage today. I noticed a residue on the front of the carb. Checking a few bolts and found the 4 nuts holding the carb down really lose! It never ceases to amaze me, I've tightened those several times but not so much this past summer. Maybe I should look at some lock washers for next year. 

Question - I wonder if the heat shield should be bent up a little more away from the manifold and what configuration are you guys using for the gaskets? When I got my new ones, I just copied what was there. There's about 6 gaskets under the shield and 2 on top. I assume the original gaskets were there because they were stapled together and I think I remember a part # stamped on them. 

IMG_8881.thumb.JPG.2997e11c9858f8a3fa03d492bec2e0ab.JPG

Thanks John! I'm going to bend my shield up a little more. Mine is almost resting on the manifold. Keep an eye on those 4 - 1/2" carb bolts...like I mentioned, I've had to snug them down more than a couple times. Mind you my gaskets were new and needed "compression" time. My carb leaked too with the old gaskets no matter how tight I made them. 

Is that wing thing on the right of your cleaner to tighten it to the carb? I've got a standard bolt that is hidden and a bit of a pain to get to. I like the idea of yours and maybe I can fab one up. 

Gents

Here is a couple of pics that show the angle of the heat deflector shields. The red engine is a spare i picked up a few years back and its almost at 90 degs as you can see, but thats how i purchased it. All the other Pontiac cars / engines i have seen in this model run are all similar angles like the first pic of the engine in situ.
In a warm climate it seems to work well,  my '51 didnt have one when i first found it, and it suffered dramatically with fuel vaporisation at slows speeds and traffic lights in the summer months, ......It has one now as well as fuel line wrapping / shielding the fuel pump discharge to the carburettor and the problem hasn't returned to bother me  again....

Engine after..JPG

Spare Engine & Gbox1.jpg

The steel fuel lines subject to the high temps were sheathed in rubber fuel line of approx  7/16ths I.D and then wrapped  over in good old Silver  cooking foil  that was removed from the kitchen under the cover of darkness.........It worked a treat as its a great heat shield........

I have an old style AC Glass bowl sediment  / filter  at the carb inlet  and the fuel never boiled in there  after  the discharge line from the fuel pump was insulated.

Being in the northern state of Aus,  heat transfer / operating temps are a  constant challenge but i have it pretty well mastered now.. 

Thanks Russ! I have the same glass bowl filter and one time when I completely overheated from sitting in a registration line for 20 minutes, the fuel in the bowl started boiling like you had mentioned. Our temps are rather cooler here but it's good info to know. Mark