Engine Paint for Chassis Components?

leomara

I'm big on rattle cans for components other than bodies because they are convenient and do not require spray paint booths, special equipment or hazmat suits.  Having said that, they do have limitations particularly their weakness to gasoline and solvents.  Enter engine paints which are said to be resistant to gasoline and they don't even require a primer.  Does anyone have any experiences to share about using engine paints on chassis parts?  Can they be sprayed over other other old paint? 

Most good engine enamels  are very suitable for chassis stuff and are fairly  gas proof ( if advertised as such) once very well cured..like several weeks or more before exposed to fuels .But you never really know.?

They usually can be sprayed over other paint if they are real enamel based.You will have to test..Every brand is different with various combinations of many solvents..gurrrrr!

Typical true enamels need plenty of time to hardened up beyound dry to be handled to take any abuse.

Before regulations kicked in 40 years ago..many common enamel spray paints were alot tougher ,easier to work with and very dependable in performance.

Little B.S.car parts and sometimes bigger..I use to use Rustoleum Gloss black engine enamel..Much better then the regular stuff on all counts IMHOP. No less then 3 good passes. Maybe 4 or 5 on highly visable parts you want nice nice.

I like VHT Epoxy paint in a rattle can.  You can get it at most auto parts stores or Amazon.  It comes in Gloss or satin Black (Chassis black).  No primer required.  I keep a can of each for any kind of miscellaneous job.  I usually have to call ahead because they typically have the gloss black (SP650), but the satin black (SP652) frequently has to come from the warehouse.   

The rustoleum appliance paint says epoxy, but the ingredients say it is an enamel.  

678093974_VHTSP652SatinBlack.thumb.JPG.646416b7dedd76c000037126ef619dfa.JPG