Is this hole supposed to be there?

oldstyle

Hello,

I had a leaking rear seal that destroyed the transmission mount in my 1966 Riviera. When I pulled the seal I found this hole. It looks like it was drilled. I'm not sure why someone would do that so I'm hoping it's supposed to be there.

Thanks,

Raul

transmission hole2.jpg

Raul,

Yes it should be there. I believe it is to insure enough oil reaches the seal so it stays wet/lubed and/or perhaps acts as an escape for oil that pushes past the yoke bushing. Someone else may chime in that can verify. 

Tranny mounts on these cars should be inspected and or replaced if they appear to be originals. Slight seal seepage is inevitable and over many years the rubber will become soft and separate from the mount....not to mention from old age itself. 

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, EmTee said:

Hmmmm, that's the transmission tailshaft/driveshaft yoke seal?  I just replaced the one in my '67 last summer and neither the original nor the replacement had that hole in it...  :huh:

Tim,

I thought that too after first glance at the pic but the seal has already been removed and the hole is in the casting.

On 10/25/2020 at 11:06 AM, JZRIV said:

thought that too after first glance at the pic but the seal has already been removed and the hole is in the casting.

OK, thanks Jason -- I do remember seeing that hole in the tailshaft housing.