New car conundrum

Matt Harwood

28 minutes ago, Y-JobFan said:

Thankfully for Buick, the TourX has overall excellent ratings and reviews and are totally opposite of your experience, you obviously got a lemon as far as issues and not sure why you have put off Lemon Law activity, as far as not being able to figure things out, well, that's just on the operator and suggest you buy an older car that you can handle 

I will pay you $500 cash to fix the warnings and the slow radio. Come show me how much smarter you are than I and I'll even pay you to do it. Then you can spike the football on me all you like.

Money-->mouth. Go.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

If your radio is slow there is still obviously an issue with it, I have a 2020 Envision Premium 2 with every possible option and have zero issues with navigation, radio, or turning off warning alerts I don't care to hear.  Again, why have you not Lemon Lawed it instead of dealing with it??  The fault lays directly in your lap for putting up with it and not following through with the Lemon Law.  I couldn't imagine sitting around doing nothing about it.   I have a driven couple of them and several of the same Regals in rental fleets and have had no issue with radio or controls.

Matt,

You nailed it with one line.   SOMEONE was thinking at FORD.  

I love my old Buicks.   But we just purchased an 18 Ford Explorer and a 20 Ford Explorer within the past year.   Never even looked at the Buicks.  The 18 is FWD/AWD and the 20 is RWD/AWD--totally completely different platforms.    No control is in the same place and the 20 is more aggressive with it's smart assists ( all of which can be turned OFF if you want ).  I would absolutely consider the Lincoln as FAR above Caddy but I could not justify the price of what I wanted dressed as a Lincoln.

But my sister bought a 2019 premium level small Buick SUV--designed so the second seat ( Premium leather ) rests on the front seats dirty and sharp seat tracks.  It took less that one week to cut the leather seat.  Buick's response--we don't make that model any more ( changed it's name ) so we don't have to do anything about it.  The thing has the style of a keds high top tennis show but NOT the good design.   She wrote to Mary Barra multiple times.   No response other than some twit from Buick Customer relations calling and explaining why it's not their fault.

Seriously--the GM Vice President of Stupid design didn't have a measuring tape to ensure that the second seat could fold without impaling itself on the front seat tracks.   A five year old child could Identify the problem AND probably suggest a fix--like beauty covers over the tracks so the second seat rests on somethign that's not knife sharp.

Funny your hassles about driver 1 and driver 2.   and the other stupid things.   But that's because Chebby/GM chose stupid software.   We don't get a lot of snow or ice but either of us can jump into either Ford, pull the sunshade out, put seatbelt on, plug phone into the cord so we have own music ( me ) or PBS radio ( spouse ).  Press the start button, release brake and choose gear and go.    Just like the old cars, except seat, mirrors, etc move to our adjustment settings while the starter is turning.   ( massaging seats are the greatest idea ever for long trips ).

The only hassle we have is minor and related to APPLE frequently screwing up the world with updates that mess up CarPlay.   They have forced auto switch into Car Play upon plug in rather than USB port.   I get a bigger map on USB on the 20.   CarPlay gives just a small nav screen--but I don't really need the nav.  Sometimes I have to plug and unplug the phone to get it to send the current song playing to the instrument board in front of me as well as the touch screen but that's the only glitch.  Apple steals 50% to 75%  of the screen to display  APPLE CAR PLAY--just those three words.

I've been having fun keeping track of the times the 20 figures out where I'm going automatically and how soon after I turn out of the driveway it can tell me where I'm going without me telling it or the phone knowing.  It has learned that most Thursday night's I go to a particular grocery store, so as usual tonight within a few blocks, it mapped me to that store.  Because of Covid not a lot of random trips so not a lot of things to confuse it.

We may actually start seeing people USE turn signals as these smart assists become more common.  If I have to do a fast lane change and don't hit the signal, the wheel has a slight bit of resistance to my change of direction--no bells, no distraction, just makes me commit to the change.  If I turn on the turn signal, it's totally normal.  Both cars are set to the next to the most aggressive smart assist settings due to the stop light grand prix in this city and the number of swoop and squat accidents.

The Ford Tailgate seems over zealous on safety, but maybe that's a good thing based on your canibalistic caddy.   It took quite a few tries to get it to close after curbside pick up.   Because the store workers don't have the fob, when they press the button on the tailgate, it starts down and then reverses to full open.    If I get out and walk back with the fob it will then close.    But If I start the car and stay in the drivers seat with the car running, I can open and close it using dash button --at least when there is nothing and no one around.    The foot thing on the Ford gate system flashes the lights first so you know it saw your foot and will open or close.   If the camera or sensor is dirty, it sometimes takes a second swipe to wake it up.

Matt--I think you and I agree on tech.   I used to drive the IT guys crazy at work because I have some old Computer Programming background and the philosophy that TECH exists to do what HUMANS WANT it to do.  If the tech is making more work for you==change the danged code and make it work for the customer.

I touch my steering wheel buttons to zero the trip odometer, advance the songs on the car play and adjust cruise control speed.   Other than putting the key fob in my pocket, I haven't touched the fob buttons in months or played fix the settings because they got scrambled EVER.

The Ford men and women brought their brains to the design table and listened to their customers and stockholders and I am both.   Ford TECH does what the owner wants in my experience and has been 100% positive on both vehicles.  Just like you said on the turnpike dongle opening that FORD thought of and GM didn't.  Yes they are on Ford extended warranties so if they catch the GM brain fry disease, it will be on Ford to fix them for 6 years, 125,000 miles.

I have good friends that have a big, travel trailer.  They are towing with their late 90's FORD Powerstroke fully loaded F350 4 door.   But they are going to upgrade to a 2021 Something mainly because they want an automatic transmission and smaller vehicle.   They are aware of your Regals Intellectual and mechanical shortcomings and also GM's lack of response.    Chevy and GMC dropped off their list thanks to your car, and my sister's car.

Right now they'll either go Ford or Toyota.   Either mid sized SUV or pickup.   One thing I said was to make sure they test drove the tech to make sure that it would work THEIR way.

I've met Matt and Melanie personally and bought a car from them.   They are good people--the kind that make people WANT to get involved in the car hobby.     IF GM or the SELLING Dealer had half the professionalism and customer service skills Matt/Melanie have, they would have already bought back the car at full price and melted it down to try again.

Does your new Buick still have the calibrate button near the Onstar button or anywhere else?   If it does, get your camera ready and be ready for a good laugh.  Start the car, press the button.  If it's still like the 2015 Traverse rental car we had in FL, it will tell you  ""  CALIBRATING--PLEASE DRIVE IN CIRCLES''"  I think that one also spoke too.   That beast was so well designed that it took 3 car guys and a car gal 10 days to find the interior button to pop the tailgate.  She found it on the last night by locating the owners manual and looking it up--just before we pressed the Calibrate Button to see what it would do.   

Sorry Officer--We really haven't been drinking-but my car is telling me to drive in circles and screeches random tones and sounds at me if I don't obey.  

Me Thinks somebody at GM watched a little too much My Mother the Car, especially the alcohol antifreeze episode.

HEY MATT/MELANIE==maybe that's your car's problem.   Press the calibrate button and drive in in circles until it catches its tail or it falls apart.  TO quote my favorite doctor, Can't hurt, might help, go for it.    Could also be a heck of a funny Video or a video comparison between the 41 LTD that just works and the 2019 that has meltdowns and tantrums

In setting up the Fords I've pressed every button, setting control etc to see what it would do.  Never told me to drive in circles.

The saddest part about this is Melanie tried to so something really nice for her husband and surprise him with a fully loaded car that he had admired.   She had to work pretty hard to find a high line one--and it appears that a questionable dealer sold her a lemon that had been used by GM as a show car.  SOMEBODY had to know this car wasn't right.

Guess we are back to Matt's point.   Ford's Engineers, designers and software people are smart enough to build something with tech that works the way the customer wants and does NOT do or make the owner do DUMB things.

Stay safe and let's hope that we can all meet at the Cleveland National in July 2021.    If the BCA were to create a Lemon Class--you might have a first prize winner there.

16 hours ago, Y-JobFan said:

If your radio is slow there is still obviously an issue with it, I have a 2020 Envision Premium 2 with every possible option and have zero issues with navigation, radio, or turning off warning alerts I don't care to hear.  Again, why have you not Lemon Lawed it instead of dealing with it??  The fault lays directly in your lap for putting up with it and not following through with the Lemon Law.  I couldn't imagine sitting around doing nothing about it.   I have a driven couple of them and several of the same Regals in rental fleets and have had no issue with radio or controls.

You are covered by Ohio’s Lemon Law if the problems with your new motor vehicle occurred in the first 12 months or first 18,000 miles, whichever comes first. If you have problems with your vehicle during this protection period, take the vehicle back to the dealer or the manufacturer and ask them to fix it. The manufacturer must be given a reasonable opportunity to fix the problem.

If the problem is not corrected, you might be eligible for a refund or replacement. You are covered by the Lemon Law even if the problem was discovered late in the protection period, and the repair attempts may extend beyond the protection period (first year or first 18,000 miles, whichever comes first).

The car had a few hundred miles on it but was 15 months old when I bought it. It is not eligible for the Ohio Lemon Law.

That's why.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

You are covered by Ohio’s Lemon Law if the problems with your new motor vehicle occurred in the first 12 months or first 18,000 miles, whichever comes first. If you have problems with your vehicle during this protection period, take the vehicle back to the dealer or the manufacturer and ask them to fix it. The manufacturer must be given a reasonable opportunity to fix the problem.

If the problem is not corrected, you might be eligible for a refund or replacement. You are covered by the Lemon Law even if the problem was discovered late in the protection period, and the repair attempts may extend beyond the protection period (first year or first 18,000 miles, whichever comes first).

The car had a few hundred miles on it but was 15 months old when I bought it. It is not eligible for the Ohio Lemon Law.

That's why.

Were you the first titled owner?  If you bought it from GM you probably were the first titled owner 

1 hour ago, Y-JobFan said:

Were you the first titled owner?  If you bought it from GM you probably were the first titled owner 

No. Some General Motors display corp. was the first titled owner, then a dealer in Detroit, then us. It was not a GM vehicle still on MSO when it was used as a display model, it was apparently owned and titled by a separate entity owned by GM. So unfortunately, the statute of limitations clock started ticking the moment it went on display down at The Tubes.

Matt,

I think I would try to file under Lemon Law anyway.  This car was built by GM Corp, then 'sold' to a GM corp division, then a GM dealer for public sale probably as a 'program car.'   You are the first HUMAN owner of the car.   And the first person who actually tried to make it function as a car and not a static display.

That ownership history is weird.   You might just get lucky and find someone in the OH office to pursue it.   Worst case, they send you a letter officially denying your complaint.   Best case, they send a letter to GM and the corporate entities involved that says--give Melanie her money back.

BTW--did you buy the car from a Michigan dealer?  Does Michigan have a lemon law and if so, maybe that's a route to try.

You could also try checking with WKYC, WEWS and WJKW to see if their consumer reporter might like to do a tv story on the Buick from hell.  But maybe that's the thing to do after OH and MI formally deny the lemon request and the dealers involved and GM Corp won't do the right thing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2021 at 4:38 AM, Buicksrule said:

the 20 figures out where I'm going automatically and how soon after I turn out of the driveway it can tell me where I'm going without me telling it or the phone knowing.  It has learned that most Thursday night's I go to a particular grocery store, so as usual tonight within a few blocks, it mapped me to that store.  

That is a FEATURE? If leave my driveway and go to the same place, I ALREADY KNOW WHERE I AM GOING AND DO NOT NEED A &^$#n MAP!

If I did not know how to get there, it would be time to TAKE THE KEYS FROM ME!😲

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

That is a FEATURE? If leave my driveway and go to the same place, I ALREADY KNOW WHERE I AM GOING AND DO NOT NEED A &^$#n MAP!

If I did not know how to get there, it would be time to TAKE THE KEYS FROM ME!😲

I think I would agree, Frank.  Tell me something I don't already know.  Singing to the choir?

Ben

If I had the address of your local dealer and a basket of apples for the kids I could show you some of the things my grandfather told me while we sat around a hot stove with tire regrooving scraps to keep us warm.

Image result for horse pulling car 1950

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Buick is back from the shop (again) with what is apparently a brand new rear differential in it. They had it about a week, which is surprising--that seems pretty fast for major surgery. The howling is gone and it's quiet again. They also re-replaced the computer that controls the electronics and it seems less schizophrenic. Nevertheless, it appears that whether the warnings clear themselves is related to how cold it is outside. If it's cold enough that it needs to warn me that it's cold, the warnings do not clear and I have to manually clear them all. If it's warm enough that it doesn't have to warn me that it's cold, then they seem to go away on their own. Fine, that's good enough.

Explored lemon laws and since I'm not the original owner and the car is more than a year old, Ohio laws don't apply. But since I bought it in Michigan, I thought maybe I could apply under their lemon laws, but unfortunately, Michigan's law is even more restrictive and I have not been servicing the car at the Michigan dealership, so...

I'm going to try to learn to like it. I want to like it and everyone else seems pleased with theirs. If these electronic gremlins are well and truly gone and nothing else breaks or explodes, maybe it'll be OK. Melanie likes it but wants to go back to driving her Focus ST and she really does want me to enjoy the car. So I guess I'll give it a try. I ordered a set of different wheels for it to get rid of those godawful factory wheels--maybe if she's prettier, her personality will be less noticeable.

But have I mentioned how much I enjoy driving the Ute?

1228374237_20210301_1738241.thumb.jpg.b40b38c4908db61b7de29594bd12b5bf.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 5

On 2/14/2021 at 12:28 PM, 60FlatTop said:

If I had the address of your local dealer and a basket of apples for the kids I could show you some of the things my grandfather told me while we sat around a hot stove with tire regrooving scraps to keep us warm.

Bernie, your youthful breathing of fumes from burning rubber scraps may account for a number of aspects of your wonderful self!  🙂

• Haha 3

Matt, on my Nissan Pathfinder, I also had a warning show up when it was 3*C or colder.  It would tell me it may be icy (big surprise).  I could however go into the driver menus and turn it off.  Now the Nissan had two different areas where different menus could be sourced, the main screen where the NAV and radio display was located as well as a different set of menus that was in the instrument cluster between the tach and the speedometer.  I believe the menu to turn off these warnings was in the more obscure set of menus accessed via the steering wheel controls and visible in the instrument cluster.  It was far from obvious.  Good luck with the rejuvenated TourX!

Anyone know what these buttons do?

Yeet!.thumb.jpg.170be12da664ede4c8c1983518ccf152.jpg

Melanie apparently modified the car while she was driving it the last few months. How long ago did she do this? Days? Weeks? I never even noticed until today. LOL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Melanie apparently modified the car while she was driving it the last few months. How long ago did she do this? Days? Weeks? I never even noticed until today. LOL!

Ha!!! LOVE that!

7 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Yeet!.thumb.jpg.170be12da664ede4c8c1983518ccf152.jpg

Looks like the one on the far left heats your backside...And the one on the far right side turns the parking assist warnings on and off. The second from the right appears to be traction control?  And 2nd from the left I believe would be the 4 way flasher. I haven't a clue on the star unless the car will take a selfie of the driver with that one, but to the right of the star might be All Wheel Drive control?

Yep, Mario Kart. The button second from the right puts banana peels on the road to thwart other drivers.🤔

The Mario Kart Star button makes the driver invincible, and increases speed by 1/3. A very handy button I would say. Well, unless this Buick is doing Super Mario Kart, then the Star doubles speed. Better watch out for tickets.😲

Sounds like Melanie found an Easter Egg.😉

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just when I was starting to warm up to the accursed thing, I drove it to pick up some parts at McMaster-Carr. I hit the automatic tailgate OPEN button on the remote. It opened, I loaded the parts, then hit the CLOSE button. As I was getting in, I heard plastic cracking and something fell on the ground:

Taillight1.thumb.jpg.f83bcb054f5218208d5d78837993fd3d.jpg  Taillight2.thumb.jpg.770ff340be259e573efc9ecbe86f7102.jpg

Yep, it maimed its own taillight with the stupid power tailgate. You might remember that my last problems with a power tailgate resulted in GM getting sued and giving me enough money to pay cash for this new car. Here it is mangling itself (fortunately, not my hand this time). I haven't found a replacement taillight yet, but I'm guessing they're really expensive. And what, exactly caused it to break? Sitting in the sun making the plastic expand?

Since when did opening a trunk become just too difficult for human beings to manage? What have we become?

Maybe you should design a bumper sticker paraphrasing one that was popular in the seventies.

All parts falling off this car exhibit the finest General Motors craftsmanship.

Looking forward to seeing you in Auburn in July.

Stay safe