1914 buick?

Mattyjags

Was told its a 1914 Buick? I haven't run the numbers yet as I'm literally otw home with it.  Going to clean it up and spin it over .  This Era is not my cup of tea.  Anything I need to be mindful of thats different than a 50s 60s 70s motor while I clean it up?

20201019_105726.jpg

20201019_105732.jpg

20201019_105758.jpg

20201019_180949.jpg

Old Buicks is correct . This is  quite a bit newer than 1914. 1920 and up Buick used a valve cover and pushrod cover like your engine has. But the distributor looks like it has the newest style of cap that was used on this 

family of engines { 1916 - 1923 } so I would say it is a 1922 or 1923. The number shown will narrow it down even further but I don't have my number list at hand.

Greg

Im in charleston sc. and honestly I'm not sure.  I have the matching ( that I know of) trans with it.  Pistons look clean from what i can see.  Id be happy to discuss your thoughts on value as id assume you more knowledgable about this era.

Buick made two completely different 6's in the 1914 - 1923 time period. The first one is as you say 3 , cast in pair jugs.  The " big 6 " produced 1914 - 1916 .  Quite rare today , especially the 1914 edition.

For 1916 the smaller mono-block 6 was introduced. A completely different engine { and car }. Sometimes referred to as the " cage valve " 6. Produced 1916 - 1923 with lost of small changes over the years.

1916 only both types were available, apart from a relatively small number of 7 pas touring's  of the soon to be  generally produced " cage valve " 6  models that were available in 1915.  One can suppose 

Buick could see the days of the " big 6 " were almost over and wanted to see how the smaller , cheaper mono - block design would go over in the marketplace.

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

My bad. When I enlarge the photo big enough I can see the distributor is the older type that is consistent with a 1920 engine number.  Perhaps I need new glasses... or a bigger screen.

Great cars ! , even if the carb is a bit primitive  and somewhat difficult to properly dial in.

Greg