Is Coker having Problems

jan arnett (2)

I have called Coker three times to chat about tube stems and nobody has picked up on the chat line,  Placed a separate call to customer service and left a message.  It has been 5 hours and no return call.  Does any one know what is going on.

Does anyone have any 30 x 3 1/2 tubes with steel stems for sale.  Need four for my 23 Moon.

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

That is a Model T Ford size tube. Call Don Lang at Lang's old car parts. Bob

2930842t.jpg

I need a brass/steel stem which is long enough to fit a disc wheel.  The Model T tube that Lang sell is 3" and I need 3.5. per Lang  "This is an original style, heavy duty inner tube for wood wheels only.  Bias ply with a center brass valve stem, Stem width .5”, Stem height 3”  Does not include the mounting hardware." per Langs.  I also tried Snyders and I mounted a tire before I knew I had a problem

Interesting that I m still connected to Coker after two hours with the same message.

IMG_4968.JPG

Universal will vulcanize different stems on to tubes. You can give them a call with your specific request. My disc wheels took the 90 degree bent nickel stems.

https://www.universaltire.com/wheel-hardware.html?p=2

DSCN1146.thumb.JPG.9615f6ef30954a05fc277de1d30b21fe.JPG

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)
  • Like 1

A year ago the metal stem tubes were not available anywhere and understood there was a problem with them. So I sold the two I had to a fellow in California and bought rubber stem. Next problem was the rubber stem was too large for the fellow and was told to drill the fellow hole larger. I did not want to do that so I sanded down the rubber tube stem to fit with an angle grinder. Finished it off with the brass dust cover for rubber stem tube to give it the look of metal stems.  

1419162l.jpg

Jan,

I just went through this the last month on my McLaughlin and my 11 T. Tube quality has been a problem for several years at the factory I think Coker, Universal and Lucas use in China.  I was planning to take my McLaughlin to the Hershey hangover tour but because my choice of 33 x 4 tires are are now limited to Blackwall in the Lester style that have not held up along wIth some other issues I decided to take my 1911 Ford  but it had a smooth right front Lester type Universal tire with just 1000 miles. Decided to put on two new Universal T driver 30 x 3s on the front as that is what a friend who hosted the Snappers Port Clinton tour was using on his 14 T. Ordered the tires and Tubes from Universal. Clinchers are a pain to Take off and put on for two people.  Took it to a friend in Dayton who runs a tire store at his house since he wanted to learn how to do it too. The Universal tube rubber stems were to fat to fit in the hole so we put the old tubes back on which is what many have advised given new tube quality. Soon after mounting the first one the tube blew. @*#@& and few other words. My friend had some New tubes from Gaslight (actually Lucas tubes) that fit but the same one blew 2 day later just before I am getting ready to leave for Hershey. Took the wheel and tire and new Lucas tube to his store and he and his vintage car tire expert got it on. It went 200 miles last week on the Hershey Hangover with no issues. Check with Lucas to see if the brass stemmed ones will work. Feel free to call me too if you want info on the tire store in Dayton. They had the tire on in 10 min what to us 1.5 hours and lots of bad words plus blowing two tubes.

Tom Muth

Cincinnati, Ohio 

2 minutes ago, tomcarnut said:

Clinchers are a pain to Take off and put on for two people.

So true but there is never a second person around when I have the time to do it. And yes the Chinese tubes are disgusting being polite as I can.  I put 4 new tires, tubes and liners in and one tire is flat already not even been as much as rolled yet. 

A tip on putting new tires on non demountable rims is to use the green garbage bags for a lubricant.  

2 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

So true but there is never a second person around when I have the time to do it. And yes the Chinese tubes are disgusting being polite as I can.  I put 4 new tires, tubes and liners in and one tire is flat already not even been as much as rolled yet. 

A tip on putting new tires on non demountable rims is to use the green garbage bags for a lubricant.  

Bare feet and a rubber hammer and I had three clincher tires mounted for my 1911 Hupmobile, half hour per tire. New tires that were in the wrappers but 20+ years old. Bob 

42 minutes ago, 37_Roadmaster_C said:

put socks OVER the boots

You can also wrap the tires in duct tape and leave it on until you take the car out. A few fellows up here put the duct tape on to protect the tire looks when shunting their car around.

Is this also where the term no tire kickers aloud when selling a car came from?

Guest Mark McAlpine
On 10/19/2020 at 4:51 PM, padgett said:

Though Coker sold out to Kawasaki (no idea if motorcycle related).

Wade Kawasaki is president & CEO of Coker Tires.  According to Wikipedia:  "Corky [Coker] retired in 2014, and he appointed Wade Kawasaki as President to oversee the operations of six companies and numerous brands under the Coker Group.  In November 2018, Corky sold Coker Tire and its parent company, Coker Group, to Irving Place Capital.  Wade Kawasaki and his leadership team, remained with Coker Tire.  Wade is the current President and CEO."