Project cars

JustDave

Hello everyone

ive notic d recently some interesting early cars coming to the market that

someont just entering the old car hobby can afford, the glide I posted about a week ago,also the Paige posted yesterday or Saturday,these cars even being in rough shape are both interesting and affordable,maybe two rough for and experienced restorer. But none the less interesting for a young person with a lot of energy and little money,a lot of us were there at one time,it’s nice two see the people selling these projects have came to realize old and rare is not necessary valuable,I believe the affordable prices will bring more young blood into the hobby and help keep it alive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, JustDave said:

...I believe the affordable prices will bring more young blood into the hobby and help keep it alive.

Well, reasonable prices certainly will help!

However, the prospective newcomers need to

be actually interested in cars for such prices to

have an effect.  Do you or I get involved with

lace napkins because the prices are low?

Will teenagers start collecting antique marbles

because the marbles are just a few dollars apiece?

Dave, you do make a good point.  But maybe it won't

be young people.  Maybe it will be a 30-year-old or

40-year-old who has always admired certain old cars

from afar, who now decides to take an easy leap into

ownership.  Let's see what happens.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Maybe it will be a 30-year-old or

40-year-old who has always admired certain old cars

from afar, who now decides to take an easy leap into

ownership.

You hit it square on the head. I am 30 and am very thankful for project cars and their falling prices. They are the only way I was able to get into the hobby. 

They have also been the best investment I could have made. Not from a financial standpoint, but project cars have 2 huge benefits that buying a competed car don't have. 

1. They have given me a good opportunity to spend lots of time with my dad and grandpa

2. They have forced me to develop skills I likely would not have gained elsewhere.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, padgett said:

In my experience having a project car makes sense only if you have a nice example of the same one.

This is the biggest advantage of car clubs that is getting lost now days. I just bought one of Dave's Devauxs and need to find some examples of Coupes to figure out how the top goes together. Luckily, through clubs I know of some cars I can look at for samples.

If more project cars get worked on by new members of the hobby, I am hoping it will boost club participation.

• Like 2

Robyn 

good to hear from you,I sent you a text to make sure you made it home safely and on time,never heard back finally Gary Yelle said everything was o.k. In the papers I gave you there is a picture of the devaux  before tear down if that helps with the top,I have some pics of my coupe during the top removal that are probably 50 years old I may be able to scan them if that helps,good luck on the devaux,    Dave

Hey Dave, this is actually Robin's son Tim. My dad is quite computer illiterate, so I keep him aware of anything on interesting on here!

I will use the forum in the link below to continue this conversation to not hijack this one too much.

But this is a good example of how project cars can benefit clubs and clubs can assist with projects. 

The only advantage to a project car is if you are the one who takes it apart. you may or may not have to deal with other peoples sins, and you know what you are doing.

A lot have total parts unavailability as people did not buy what they needed while someone else was doing the project.

I like to tell the story of the reproduction hubcaps - The first one off was reproduced for $12,800 (and 2 years of pain) and the second reproduced one was $10.00, plus it then took 2 years to break even on the project. 

People think they can get parts for X and technically they should be able to as they made plenty and .... and - NONE.

I was speaking with a friend and their car has been sidelined for 3 years now for a transmission input shaft - cheapest bid has been 10K to make a new one. 

And, most things are still too high priced - hate to say it, but the ship has sailed at least for a few years (economy is not all that good (a false economy too as such as fast food really does not make the World revolve).