Reattas for sale on Criagslist, eBay, etc. * Not Mine*

Ronnie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

Good points. I went back to look at the ad and I believe the seller has dropped the price to $2700.  Wasn't it $3000?  I am tempted to call the guy and ask about some of the back story to see if it has been repainted and whether there is any indication that those S60 style wheels are original.  It would be on the S.P.I.D. I believe as an option code. 

Just a real intriguing car because  of the colors, interior, wheels, and body color moulding.  I wish I had more room.  114,000 miles doesn't scare me.  This would be one for that forum member in St. Louis that prefers white cars.  I think he has a White and Flame Red car already. 

I ran a Compnine report on this car and it's a factory white wheel and pinstripe delete car. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Ronnie changed the title to Reattas For Sale On Craigslist, eBay, Etc.
  • Ronnie pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/d/des-moines-1990-buick-reatta-convertible/6866335448.html

Driftwood convertible, price drop $100 a day until sold.  Started at $4500, so there must not be much interest in some Reattas.

Good luck with selling your car. It's a good looking car from what I can tell from the photos.  I hope someone buys it who appreciates it.

Although you might think it's true,  the line in the ad that says "This is #1 of 60 Driftwood convertibles ever sold. But Reattas are NOT collectible and nobody cares. ",  could be used as a textbook example of how to shoot yourself in the foot when writing an advertisement for a car you have for sale. Not only did it hurt your chances of selling your Reatta to anyone who read the ad, it hurt every Reatta owner's chances for selling their car as well.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Mostly disagree with the above two posts.  I've owned two 1990 silver/gray convertibles (one I still own with 50K miles). The other had 52K miles when I sold it.  Both are two of only 60 verts made in that color combo.  Doesn't make a different on resale value or collectability. Reattas are nice boulevard cruisers for a weekend drive.  But they are not collectible and I don't see their value increasing much (nor do I see value decreasing much).  And being realistic, the old farts (and I'm still a few years from being in that category) with discretionary funds who spend $12K for a car, power to them.  But they're a (eventually) dying breed.  Its the 40 and under folks the car (or most collectible cars) needs to attract.  And that's not happening. World has changed. Even teenagers/20-somethings (the next generation) don't care about cars - they care about technology and saving the world from climate change  Even cars shows have shown a steady decline in participation the last 10-15 years.

On a side note, there were some in this forum who said once the Reatta would reach 25 years, it would be an instant collectible and value would gradually increase.  Carnak could have predicted that wasn't going to happen.

5 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

That would mean you do not believe it is a bargain at it's present price of $3400 or at the original price of $4500.   That means you believe the market corrected price is $1400 for a driver quality 1990 Convertible with a 3 year old professionally installed new top which cost $600.   Placing value of this car at an actual $800. Or less.  Previous owner installed new headlight kits, new coil, new spark plugs, new ABS and master cylinder, new tires, I installed a new $175 GEL battery, new intake gaskets, newer seats, new struts, belt, water pump,  alternator, and much more.  

I started at $4500 11 days ago and dropped it $100 a day and have received 1 call.  From a guy that was like "what is that, duz it run?  How's the interior? What's it need? What's yer bottom dollar? How much will you take for it?  

I really did not mean to start a market value debate.  I am just trying to find local market value for this car.  I believe I will have to throw it on ebay on Sunday at $100 with no reserve.  

I believe your car is a bargain at $3400 and I don't think a starting price of $4500 was unreasonable. That starting price gave you some room to work with a buyer.   Since you purport to be a car collector and you track the prices of cars on Craigslist all the time, I'm surprised you are doing such a poor job of marketing your car.  Although it is a hard fact to swallow for anyone selling their car, the amount you paid for the car and the amount of money you have spent on the car has very little influence on what a buyer will pay for it. I know this all too well because I have probably got twice as much in my Reatta as I could get out of it.

As a seller you should do everything you can to make the buyer want your car when they see your ad.  With all due respect it seems you tried to do right the opposite. As much as you look at CL ads you have to know that photos are the most important part of a CL ad, but the photos you posted seem to be an afterthought.  Potential buyers look at the photos first and then move on if they don't like what they see.  Photos are what hooks a buyer and makes him want to read more about your car. Look at the photos below and you will see what I mean.  We both took photos of our cars in the driveway.  I just put more effort into taking mine. Photos describe your car much better that words ever can.

In your ad you did a decent job of describing the car but it seems you were mad at the car when you wrote it.  If the car is dirty why didn't you run it through the car wash so you didn't have to say that?  If the window needs a new switch why didn't you fix it instead of saying you will work on it? Comments like that plus the comment you removed about the car NOT being collectable is what I call shooting yourself in the foot.

Your strategy of dropping the price everyday might work but it's going to cost you a lot of money. That strategy is only encouraging a buyer watching your ad to do as Dave said and wait as long as possible before making you an offer.  You would be much better off if you pull your current CL ad and post it again with lots of good photos that show the car in a way that would make someone want to buy it.  Lots of interior photos are important. They tell a buyer how well the car has been treated. Write text in your ad that will highlight the good things your car has to offer and fix anything that would cause you to write something negative about the car..

I'm not wanting to put down you or your car.  I wrote this to help you see that the ad you posted is hurting the sale of what appears to be a really nice Reatta at a decent price.  If you want me to delete this post just say so and it will be gone.

227162730_7-24-18(1).thumb.JPG.42ff030cb67cde62959799c5334faf84.JPG

image.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2019 at 12:06 PM, B Jake Moran said:

OK, I updated the Craigs List ad and put it on ebay.  Almost talked myself out of selling it.  I drove it around Des Moines yesterday and what a pleasure.  By the way, the reason I had not replaced the drivers door main power window switch is because the 2 "screws" which hold it into the armrest panel are 3/8 inch head fasteners that just spin and spin (of course).  I took the power switch out of the 1991 Maui/Tan car that Marck Barker sold me, and it was screwed in.  I must have tried to get the Driftwood switch out last fall and said screw it, I'll try again in the spring.   This isn't stock on some cars is it?   

Per moderating and forum rules, please no more commentary on my car, my asking price, my content.  

Congratulations! See what writing a proper ad and posting good photos of your car can do.  Sticking with the strategy of dropping the price $100 per day would have been a mistake.  You may have been offended by what I said earlier but I think it put you on the right track to selling your car at a decent price.

Screenshot_jake_eBay.png.b76501e8861d88161771900531b69c24.png

I contacted a friend whose wife wanted a convertible. He has seen the good luck I had with mine and knew I would have parts if he needed them. So he went after it. He went to $3900.00 and quit. Glad you got it sold a for more money then Craigslist.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

THIS AD HAS EXPIRED

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2281142272135014/ found this early 88 on Facebook. 77k and $2500. From the pictures there’s one small rip in the drivers seat but looks pretty nice. I’m about half an hour  away from it if anyone wants me to take a look. I’m sort of considering it myself. But don’t have storage 😐

53 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

Clicking on the link leads me nowhere. 

Clicking on the link does work. I think you have to be logged in to facebook to see the ad or respond to it. It's actually a nice looking car, especially for $2500. It's in Elmwood Park, NJ . If you want more photos let me know.

1398360888_Screenshot_2019-05-24Marketplace-1988BuickReata1.thumb.png.f421febf22982964448a5a9709df1ffc.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

To find this car, a collector geek would need to use the search tool and type in BUICK, a price range, and a year search.  Doesn't seem like a big deal, but it takes a little work.   This car and seller need to just go to ebay.  That will find the motivated buyers. 

A serious collector absolutely intent on acquiring a Select 60  would do that kind of a search, but the average old convertible buyer in Minnesota isn't looking for a $12,500 thirty year old car and the frugal frozen have chosen to top out our searches at around 3 - 5K for the car that will sit in the garage all but 30 to 40 great convertible driving days of the year.

I think the Select 60's might be seeing a bit of a lag in the market, for the longest time, anyone wanting a special Reatta instantly looked for a S60, but now there seems to be a movement to those really looking for a special Reatta to be searching for low production color combo's, the S60 is actually pretty high on the numbers built when you consider cars like Marck Barkers's 1-2 Maui blue/saddle convertibles and any number of other low production colors.  There is almost always a nice S60 for sale somewhere.  I used to want one in the worst way, but now I would certainly search out a rare combo over one.  S60's were also "collected" almost instantly so their survival rate in excellent condition is much higher than other ones as well.