1970 challenger R/T SE 440 4 speed value

RowdyXmX

2 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

I bet every one of the people replying to this topic would have to wear a bib to keep from drooling on it if you found it in it's present location and condition...

I came after muscle cars and have absolutely

no interest in them.  To me, they are pieces of

automotive history that are good looking, but

only as interesting as a Buick LeSabre would be.

All good old cars deserve a good home.  This car

should be a fun example when it's brought back.

That, however, doesn't diminish others' interest.

May the original poster find this one a happy home---

• Like 1

By the time I had the $$$$ to buy something from the muscle car era they were dying from overpriced insurance and fuel availability issues.  Most of the survivors were beat into the ground. I wound up with cars that looked sporty but were nothing for real performance.  I guess that’s why those who can buy the restored examples today. 

• Like 1

Terry, I also spend more time with the General. But I can remember riding in the passenger seat of my mom's Mustang on Aurora Avenue in Seattle in 1970 when a brand new 340 Duster rumbled up along side us at a traffic light. With it's high impact paint color, that blacked out hood and the absolutely enormous "340 WEDGE" call-out on the hood!  I thought it was the wildest thing I'd seen this side of the Winternationals at S.I.R. 😄

6d6677bf3faa4634df5b4d44abd6cfc6--gmail-wedges.jpg.8d0d8974c4003c3b7f26fdd3f92d59a6.jpg

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

18 minutes ago, Jim Skelly said:

The lime Duster pictured is a '71 with the loud, but cool 340 Wedge graphics.  The '70 was more conservative looking, but we get the idea.

You are right Jim. I only grabbed this pic for the hood graphics. 

The car I saw back then was actually In-Violet rather than the Lime.

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

I had a 70 Duster after getting out of the service. Lime green and black. Still can't make up my mind if I liked it or not. 

Mine had a black top and hood graphics if I remember correctly. Thinking it was the first car I owned with an automatic. 

On 10/20/2020 at 9:01 PM, Jim Skelly said:

1970 Plymouth Duster | T137 | Kissimmee 2019

This is the same as my old Ruster, I mean Duster. The In-Violet and decals as well as the rallye rims. Mine was a 4 speed black bench, with the in dash tach and Rallye gauges. By 1976 it had 3 repaints due to rust. Still a car I'll always remember. For both good and bad reasons!

Non matching number / non investment grade muscle cars are the most fun. Biggest problem is running them through the gears on the street without 

attracting the wrong { very expensive } type of attention.  In the summer there are still lots of street machines around here but at least a couple get

impounded each weekend. The tubbed , 500+ cubic inch machines get the most scrutiny from the authority's  but the people who own those ones usually

have no money concerns. Also the modified Viper crowd. Generally sons of Blueberry and Cranberry Farmers. It seems that at times they can't spend money

fast enough.

Greg

• 1 month later...
On 10/20/2020 at 7:27 AM, 8E45E said:

I'm looking at that R/T-SE package as well.    

The SE was the top of the line for a 'luxury' model Challenger, most likely aimed at the Mustang 'Grande' and Cougar XR7 market, and it would have sold for a high price, as it was. Then add the R/T package, and it really added up!  

I will agree it is one Challenger that is 'rare' for being so well equipped.  The annual MCACN show in Chicago won't complete without this one being there at least once!!

Added some pics and more info

On 10/19/2020 at 10:50 PM, GregLaR said:

The more I look at this car the more interesting it seems to be.  I would really like to see the fender tag on this one.  I think with the options included, it sold at a high price point when new.

If the car hasn't been driven since 1978 as Rowdy points out, I think it's safe to say that it's in fairly original condition.  Exhaust manifolds aren't too difficult to replace but the orig. carb may be a little more difficult as Jon pointed out.  All badging looks correct for the R/T-SE combination even down to the rear bumblebee stripe, which just shows in this pic.

challenger2.jpg.e7c9da26d637747978b8053d5fbc5707.jpg

This painted on stripe (or the full length longitudinal side stripes) came on all R/T's except in the unlikely case where the V68 Stripe Delete may have been chosen. 

I'm usually reluctant to use the word "rare" but I think one would be hard pressed to find very many '70 RT's painted in this combination of FK5 Dark Burnt Orange with the EK2 Go-Mango stripe. I would guess that with the white vinyl roof the car may also have a white/burnt orange interior?

challenger.thumb.png.4ca2be13b41a42e3937b44e1772c3f97.png

A pretty sharp looking combination when all polished up I think.

I added some more pics and my dad found the fender tag and put it back on.

I’m strictly a pre war car guy, and have zero interest in anything from this era. It sure looks like a very nice car from what I see so far. And an honest story and original owner car to me would be worth a premium if I was searching for such a toy. If selling it, I would find any old photos there is of it, and duplicate them professionally.........getting the long buck out of that car ..........best thing is documentation and photos. I wouldn’t put a dime in it........the guys chasing those things are very particular..............a battery and some gas to run in place is all I would do. Nothing else. Good stuff speaks for itself. I would also do a twenty minute video of the car, history, and provenance and put it up on YouTube. That’s the way to sell a honest and desirable car. While out of my sphere of interest, I like it and think it’s cool.

• Like 2

Never could understand the purpose of anything over 5 liters (figured 440 hp was "enough"). Had a few since, Judge has a 400 but wouldn't have bought anything that visually noisy back in the day. Had a 70 Buick GS that was both more innocuous and faster on a road course or autocross. Always liked a lot of light at night. Unfortunately few pictures exist. My favorite colors: deep green with a saddle interior. Was T-boned by a Mustang.

buvette2.jpg

Quite a few of the hardcore street machines around here are 500 C.I. + and  750 -800 H.P.  plus a bottle if needed. Nuts !  There is a certain group around here that can't spend money fast enough. Bikes , cars , keep the cash turning over.

Greg

Maybe so but have also heard of 1000 hp 4 cyls. Only have one over 5 liters now and that was inherited. Have always been more interested in torque than hp (most of the silly numbers are from over 6500 rpm). Of course I also believe that boost has a place: over 10,000 feet and NOS belongs in a dentist's office.

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

Quite a few of the hardcore street machines around here are 500 C.I. + and  750 -800 H.P.  plus a bottle if needed. Nuts !  There is a certain group around here that can't spend money fast enough. Bikes , cars , keep the cash turning over.

Greg

Back in high school, a buddy was running a '67 Fairlane, 427, 4 speed. He was making 1200 HP, no bottle, no computer, all cam & compression.

• Like 3

At the strip , but this looks about right. Local to me, I will have to keep an eye out for it. It has plates so possibly a street car. A number of these sort of cars attend the informal Friday night cars and coffee get together near me.

Greg

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 3

a: "427, 4 speed. He was making 1200 HP" didn't know a Ford 427 would make power at 9,000 rpm, mustabin on nitro.

b: Wheelies are as bad as going up in smoke. Max tractive effort is with car raised but level. Ever see a Ramcharger Dodge run ? Lifts straight up. Has to do with geometry and torque angles.

On 10/18/2020 at 10:19 PM, padgett said:

Not really my field but "the original carb" sounds like a 4 bbl. "Appliance" was an aftermarket mag wheel so originality may be questionable. Gauges, steering wheel, and radio were often replaced. It really needs a thorough inspection by someone local. Location is also a factor.

Actually, "Appliance" were a brand of exhaust headers. So it's likely the car has headers on it now (that's what we ALL did with our muscle cars back in the day, before they were "collectible.") But the point that the car needs a thorough inspection to help determine exactly what is there is right on. 

So many of these cars were fitted with replacement aftermarket intakes, carburetors, distributors, radiators, shifters, bellhousings, wheels, alternators, and entire engines, as we hot rodders sought more power and tore up parts with abuse. Some guys kept the original parts in their garages; others threw them away. That's why muscle car collectors are often so focused on "matching numbers" original cars.

All of the above-mentioned parts carried casting numbers and/or part numbers on them, often including production-date codes. So when examining a for-sale car or judging at a car show, one would check the build-date of the car, and then contrast that to the build date of the engine (obviously, the engine block had to be cast and then assembled before the car could be built). Then you would check the casting numbers on heads, intake, water pump, exhaust manifolds, distributor, alternator, etc...along with all those build dates. 

Today the trend of exact "matching numbers" on muscle cars has waned a bit from it's heyday, as many of today's enthusiasts seem to enjoy "resto-mod" style...with mostly stock appearance, and engines which are updated versions of the originals. 

One final point: This 1970 Chrysler product E-body car has a body tag which will identify much of its original configuration. Once experts have reviewed all these ingredients and inspected the car for condition, you will be able to get a fairly accurate prediction of its probable sales figure. Good luck.  

At the 

I don’t know how many horsepower my Austin Healy had but it would break all the spokes in the wire wheels on the rear if I popped the clutch in first. Not stock of course. A Ford 289, 10.5 to 1 forged high rise pistons, 310 duration cam, solid lifters, deburred intake and exhaust headers, 4 barrel Holley (1200?  It’s been 50+ years), 4 speed and echlin gold plated points/spark plug wire ends and distributer cap. We extended the oil pump so it had 11 quarts to help keep it cool. We put tubes thru the oil pan from front to rear to act as an oil cooler as there was no room for an actual one. Corks would go in during the winter if too cold. Made a lot of cash running it against the muscle cars of the late 60’s. Lot of fun back in the day ( well my day anyway) 
dave s 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

a) "break all the spokes in the wire wheels" so would early Cobras. Jaguar said to use disk wheels for racing.

b) "All of the above-mentioned parts carried casting numbers and/or part numbers on them, often including production-date codes. So when examining a for-sale car or judging at a car show, one would check the build-date of the car, and then contrast that to the build date of the engine (obviously, the engine block had to be cast and then assembled before the car could be built). Then you would check the casting numbers on heads, intake, water pump, exhaust manifolds, distributor, alternator, etc...along with all those build dates.  "

Is much of the reason I quit judging. After creating a "platinum" class for a national club, I figured it would take upwards of four hours with some minor disassembly to properly judge a car to that level. Club said no and I stopped judging.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 11:55 PM, RowdyXmX said:

I added some more pics and my dad found the fender tag and put it back on.

Careful with that fender tag re-installation. People who pay top dollar for exceptionally desirable muscle cars get very suspicious of tags that have been removed and replaced. There are folks who make excellent reproduction tags...and unscrupulous sellers who replace original tags with reproductions which claim more valuable options. People also remove tags from destroyed muscle cars and rivet them onto similar cars with lesser options. 

Your father might be wise to gather some witnesses and prove to all of them that the tag is obviously the original tag (matching corrosion/paint patterns on the backside, etc).  And then have them sign notarized affidavits attesting to that fact. (Once the car is restored, all such evidence is gone forever). 

The guy with the big reputation for "certifying" Mopar muscle cars as authentic is Galen Govier. You can look him up online. He charges a fee to certify a car as original, and his certification is considered golden among Mopar muscle car fans. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, padgett said:

See the original (preferably with original soundtrack) Gone in 60 Seconds.

If we're going to think of a movie related to a thread about a Dodge Challenger, I would prefer "VANISHING POINT," even including the ending which actually featured a Camaro substitute. LOL. 

I would love to have a chance to be online to purchase this car/

On 12/4/2020 at 11:46 PM, RowdyXmX said:

My dad and I got the car out of the garage and into my shop as they are moving and they FOUND the fender plate and bolted it back on I will take a pic of the plate. Here are some pics as we brought it to my house. 

20201203_122530.jpg

20201203_122542.jpg

20201203_122553.jpg

20201203_123649.jpg

20201203_123701.jpg

20201203_123717.jpg

I would love have a chance to be online to buy/look at this car with a MOPAR expert/friend to verify everything when you have made up your mind as to what you are asking for it. If I can afford it! LOL Thanks.

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Was talking about a movie that a red Challenger (?) had the VIN tag switched.

ps have both GISS with the original soundtrack (Sunshine Superman) and VP with the Charlotte Rampling scene. Wanna start a thread about car movies ?

• 2 months later...

No worries there as far as I'm concerned.  If you're familiar with Mopars of this era, you'll know that the trim tags are only held in place with two regular Phillips screws.  The engine compartments are painted body color,  including the tag.  However removal of these tags is quite common.  I have seen many repainted engine compartments with the tag reinstalled with the original paint on the tag.  I don't know why this happens, it's a Mopar guy thing, but it's pretty common.  Trouble is, many get lost once removed.  From what the OP states, I believe the provenance of this car.  It probably won't be difficult to prove as the car is in unrestored condition, rather than after a complete rotisserie restoration.

I'm curious what has transpired with the car in the last year.