1949 Roadmaster - Temperature sender repair or replacements?

Dan O

Hello all - On my rebuilt 1949 Buick 320 we went to install the old temp sender unit back into the block and there is no brass tube on it to go into the head like I thought there should be - I saw some replacements online with the tube/sensor.

The metal on the nut that screws into the head seems too soft as well and it just seems like it's not right. 

Any ideas on repairing or replacing these units before I spray water inside my nice new engine compartment and interior?

I see Bob's has a rebuilding service for $190 which includes gauge.  Seems high but what do I know.

Edited by Dan O (see edit history)

I have a few NOS ones, but not for 1949, sorry. I get $150 for mine when I sell one, so Bob's is not too far out of line. I have used his rebuild service when I did not have the sending unit & gauge I needed, and can tell you that it is a good service, good product, and where are you going to find someone else who does this?

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, TX

• Thanks 1

I wonder if this one for a 1953 Chevy truck could work?  It costs $64 new.  The new gauge would need to be changed and the woven steel mesh cover threaded over the line.

http://www.classicpartsusa.com/product/GA-T14R6_1953/1953_Truck_Parts_Speedometer_and_Gauge_Items?gclid=CjwKCAjwz6_8BRBkEiwA3p02VVxbZYvfUKFJl1tRrZRcojfQTod1tnlfh_AcaiRXkQQcpKEC3vJzYhoCasAQAvD_BwE

51 minutes ago, Dan O said:

I wonder if this one for a 1953 Chevy truck could work?  It costs $64 new.  The new gauge would need to be changed and the woven steel mesh cover threaded over the line.

http://www.classicpartsusa.com/product/GA-T14R6_1953/1953_Truck_Parts_Speedometer_and_Gauge_Items?gclid=CjwKCAjwz6_8BRBkEiwA3p02VVxbZYvfUKFJl1tRrZRcojfQTod1tnlfh_AcaiRXkQQcpKEC3vJzYhoCasAQAvD_BwE

Nope.  that is a sealed system.  A little bench work and you may be able to repair yours:  HERE

• Thanks 1