WW 1 truck

ron hausmann

• 1 month later...

When I was 15 almost half a century ago in upstate NY I found 2 Whites like this in a barn slated to be torn down for the then new Route 84. Even at this early age I had never seen anything so thoroughly worn out. The front universal joint had worn so badly that the drive shaft dropped down and was wearing a very deep groove in the bellhousing, can't imagine what a racket it must have made when running! When I told an older collector to go look he informed me they were both WWI Whites and he could tell they had seen service overseas because they both had replacement radiators made in France. I suddenly had a new found respect for the service these old warhorses had given. I was told that they were too far gone to warrant restoration then but mourn the fact that if found today they would be cherished and restored. 

Howard Dennis

• Like 2

On 10/18/2020 at 2:29 PM, ron hausmann said:

Ok guys - Can any of you identify the manufacturer of his truck/ambulance? It’s from WW1. Thank you. Ron Hausmann P.E.

7D1D3CB1-33D2-4479-8471-B50EE3672152.jpeg

1 1/2 ton White............4-45 series from 1916-1918.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

OK, this may a bit off topic - here is the remains I have of a cast alloy WHITE radiator shell, I intend to polish it and the cast name as well, what color should the back ground behind the script name be painted? I could leave it unpolished but think it would look better if the script name is somehow "framed by a color"

WHITEradiator shell.jpg

• Like 1

White trucks were quite popular in New Zealand, although perhaps may not have sold as well as some of the British makes like Leyland, Dennis and Thornycroft.

I wonder how many other countries they were sold to.

These are a few from the 1920s in New Zealand. The sheep truck photo was taken in January 1927. The truck with the drums on board was taken on the Rimutaka hill road near Wellington, also in 1927. That road is still narrow and winding, even though it is the main highway between Wellington and the Wairarapa district.   I guess the log truck is a more heavy duty model?? The bus photo was taken at the New Plymouth agent Newton King. They built several of these buses.

100564_tdio8_332670-1-1500x1500.jpg

Madon collection 090219 photo from 27 01 1927.jpg

White for Napier.jpg

White Rimutakas 1927 fb 050719.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

I am not sure where I got this - maybe it was here on AACA? - but if anyone doesn't have it it is worth filing away.

5a4312b5303a6_Whiteserialnumbers_jpg_44c2315eab103b3b030bb4650289fb74.jpg

The top of the page is not clear.......what does the header say? Interesting table! 👍

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

The top of the page is not clear.......what does the header say? Interesting table! 👍

I think it is just  'Subject - Truck serial numbers'.

I think the next line should read - 'Below is a list of serial numbers, which shows the first serial number erected each month'. 

It’s interesting that my car serial number fits in the list exactly where it should......so cars and trucks may have used sequential serial numbers independent of model and line.

8 hours ago, Walt G said:

OK, this may a bit off topic - here is the remains I have of a cast alloy WHITE radiator shell, I intend to polish it and the cast name as well, what color should the back ground behind the script name be painted? I could leave it unpolished but think it would look better if the script name is somehow "framed by a color"

WHITEradiator shell.jpg

Polished shell with white letters on a black background would be my choice.

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2020 at 11:54 PM, nzcarnerd said:

I wonder how many other countries they were sold to.

Years ago I saw a photo on "the Swedish Ebay", Tradera, of a 20s White tank truck. With Swedish licence plates, if I remember correctly registered in the southern part of the country, propably the province of Malmöhus. A period photo of a 1920 Truck from the more northern part is found on Automobilhistoriska Klubben Mässing & Nickel (massingnickel.se)

In Svensk Motortidning's feature in September 1924 about ball bearings in automobile engines the American White is mentioned, as a marque that aspires for the title "the finest Truck of the World"

Edited by Casper Friederich (see edit history)

2 hours ago, J.H.Boland said:

This 1919 White was restored for the Labatt Brewing Co. 

Jim Pictures from work computer 148 (2).jpg

This truck isn’t a White..........it’s a BLUE! 

You may or may not get the above line.........😎

41 minutes ago, edinmass said:

This truck isn’t a White..........it’s a BLUE! 

You may or may not get the above line.........😎

OK OK It's a Blue, but definitly not a Blue Lite !

• Like 1