Changed out the turn signal flasher and now.....

John_Mc

Both left and right side flash waaaay to fast.  This is on my 1948 Lincoln with a 6 volt positive ground.  All four of my bulbs look good with clean connections.  Ground issue or defective flasher?

John, are you SURE the new flasher is a 6-Volt unit, and not a 12-Volt model?

Did you substitute LED bulbs in any of the locations - that would require additional resistance in the circuit since LED requires less current

Hi J Mc

A few thoughts on your problem .

Is the new flasher unit a thermal [old school type] or a modern électronic type.  If it is the latter type it may not work correctly on a positive earth system. {You could try reversing the supply and load wires to the flasher unit and  see what effect that has]. Maybe others have had experience with  electronic flasher units on positive earth systems.

Also what wattage globes are you running in you flashers at least 18 or 21 watt? Do the flashers only flash to fast with the motor running? if this is the case maybe the charge rate is to high. 

Cheers

Re reversing wires to flasher unit.

In general electronic type flasher units are very much polarity conscious and are made for negative grounded systems unless otherwise stated on side of unit.

They come in a few different terminal configurations eg some 3 terminal flasher units require a ground to one terminal  operate correctly.

So not knowing what type of flasher unit you have - 2 wire or 3 wire for the moment it might be prudent not to try reversing the wires .

From my experience if you change to supply and load wires on say a 2 wire type some units will work fine, while others wont flash or work at all. They are not damaged if you get the wires around the wrong way- they just dont work.

Sorry for any confusion on this.

In my experience, three prong flashers have one connection marked “ P” for panel, the dash indicator. Most of the time when you cross the wires nothing works or the indicator lights come on and stay on. 

I have a 70 CJ5 that if you cross ( it does not have a plug receptacle) the P with the +, it will flash rapidly. Only vehicle I ever saw do that.

That is correct.... for some flasher units.

There are 3 terminal flasher units available at parts shops that have the terminals marked as follows... 49 , 49a and 31 - being ground.  these were used in mainly European design vehicles in the 80s and 90s.

These little buggers tripped up a lot of blokes trying to fix a flasher problem so check the terminal markings before connecting any wires.

Rhode Island Wire Service makes harnesses for 6 volt cars with the option of having turn signals built into the harnesses. It comes with the flasher unit. I've installed their harnesses with the optional turn signals in many 6 volt positive ground cars of the late '20s and early '30s and no high-speed flashing of standard 6 volt bulbs.

They can sell you a 6 volt flasher unit that works with positive ground,... and even the connector if yours doesn't match that flasher unit.

http://www.riwire.com/   401-789-1955. 

Paul

If you did nothing but change the flasher, you probably bought a 'regular' duty flasher. Replace it with a 'heavy duty' flasher and it will flash at a slower rate. Flashers switching rates are determined by the amount of current flowing through them. Heavy duty flashers will take more current before switching than a regular duty flasher.

Frank

• Like 2

That is correct.

The old tin can flasher units flashed much quicker if the load was not correct. ie blown/ wrong globe, wiring fault etc.

Some modern units are variable load so they do not necessarily change their flash rate if a fault occurs.