1990 Reatta Convertible Red / Tan - Valuation

Alchemist

Hello!

After developing some age related vision problems, my father recently gifted me his 1990 Reatta Convertible, Red with tan top and interior.  It is as close to showroom new condition as possible and has a little over 24k miles on the odometer.  My intent is not to sell the vehicle at this time, it means too much to him and I will continue to take him for rides with the top down as that is something he enjoys greatly.  Rather I am curious the current value given the condition so I can insure it for the proper value.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Steve

Oshkosh, WI 54904

4 minutes ago, Alchemist said:

Hello!

After developing some age related vision problems, my father recently gifted me his 1990 Reatta Convertible, Red with tan top and interior.  It is as close to showroom new condition as possible and has a little over 24k miles on the odometer.  My intent is not to sell the vehicle at this time, it means too much to him and I will continue to take him for rides with the top down as that is something he enjoys greatly.  Rather I am curious the current value given the condition so I can insure it for the proper value.

Steve

Oshkosh, WI 54904

Welcome to the forum. Since you are not selling this Reatta it was out of place in the Reatta Buy/Sell forum.

Why don't you look into insuring it with a classic car'insurer like Hegarty.  You need an “agreed value” policy so that if something happens that amount is what you get and also so a small accident will not get the car totaled as a regular policy would do. This one recently sold with similar mileage, this price is an exception but there also have been a few others recently that have done as well. It would at least be a guide for a good insurance amount.  I have my convertible insured for $15k but it has 70k miles on it. Collector car insurance is a good bit cheaper than regular and you get better coverage, I would insure it for no less than $18k and again make sure you get AGREED VALUE https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Buick-Reatta-Convertible-/124313151559

12 hours ago, Alchemist said:

Hello!

Steve

Oshkosh, WI 54904

You have gotten good advice, but I just wanted to comment that you are less then 30 miles from me and maybe 40 from 2seater. 2seater's son and grandson also lives in the "valley" so that makes 5 owners within a 40 mile radius and 8 Reattas [I have 3 2seater 2]. Pretty big deal!

On 10/16/2020 at 8:53 AM, DAVES89 said:

You have gotten good advice, but I just wanted to comment that you are less then 30 miles from me and maybe 40 from 2seater. 2seater's son and grandson also lives in the "valley" so that makes 5 owners within a 40 mile radius and 8 Reattas [I have 3 2seater 2]. Pretty big deal!

Awesome, great to hear there are others in the area who understand and appreciate these cars.  Once I have it out in the late spring, we will need to have a little gathering!

11 hours ago, padgett said:

"age related vision problems" just a thought but I take 25mg of Lutein a day and since starting my vision has improved. See AREDS.

Yes, I take the AREDS formula to help stave it off and will recommend the same to my father based on your improvement.  Thanks!

• 7 months later...

After yet another long Wisconsin winter, my father's Reatta Convertible is now safely in our garage.  Spent the better part of this morning cleaning it up, changing the oil and making a list of the items that need attention.  Pretty much typical stuff, the headlights need the actuators renewed, the sun visor clips are broken.  Both of these parts I have found and they will be on order shortly.

The one item that is broken and I cannot find a replacement for is the passenger seat recliner switch bezel which is broken in two pieces right on the screw line.  Note, this is located on the side of the seat, not on the door arm rest.  Anyone know of a replacement for this?  Other than that, the car is perfect and all original.

Thanks!  I will post some pictures soon, need some better weather, it has never seen rain!

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Alchemist (see edit history)