Oregon license plate(s) 1932

JACK M

Still looking,

The only one I could find is on Ebay and kind of expensive and a bit rough.

I dug thru my stash and found one that someone has painted the wrong colors.

Should be a black plate with white letters.

Oregon requires an original unmolested plate for YOM use.

Thanks all for looking.

Take your plate, restore it, and then leave it outside and also antique it.......usually state employees are not very familiar with what they are looking at. Use flat paint colors, do a good job, and then leave it out in the elements. Works ever time. What year plate? Usually anything that isn’t porcelain is very reasonable.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

19 hours ago, JFranklin said:

I have used restored plates in Oregon. Where did you get your information? Is this a new requirement?

Its always been that way.

To get approved they take a photo copy on their local copy machine then send the copy to the headquarters for final approval.

However I don't know how all that would work because one cant get into the DMV offices lately.

My 36 Dodge that I have has had YOM for about 40 years had this requirement.

I have five cars now (well the kids do but in my name) with YOM and they are all original, I did cheat one set that I had gotten approved then repainted to match the color of the car. 37 Desoto (by the way those letters are vinyl from my local sign shop. You hard to look REALLY close to tell).

Another cheat was when I got a plate approved for  a Bentley then had a British looking plate made with all of the same info on it. I kept those plates when the Bentley went to Germany.

21 hours ago, edinmass said:

Take your plate, restore it, and then leave it outside and also antique it.......usually state employees are not very familiar with what they are looking at. Use flat paint colors, do a good job, and then leave it out in the elements. Works ever time. What year plate? Usually anything that isn’t porcelain is very reasonable.

This would be a last resort and may or may not work. I don't have a steady enough hand to do that fine painting.

And very much agree that most DMV employees don't really know what they are looking at.

With all that said I have never (knock on wood) had any flack from any of the constabularies about plates or even driving outside of the limited use rule.

And my 64 Dodge DD is well known around my small town.

Hoping to find GOOD originals, I know they are out there somewhere.

2018-04-30 Bentley Plates 001.JPG

IM003511.JPG

2018-03-21 64 D-100 001.JPG

IM000655.JPG

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

20 hours ago, JFranklin said:

You can use restored YOM plates in Oregon since 1983. Here are the laws regarding that. https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/805.210

WOW ! Thank You.

That rule number 5 does say restored is OK.

Kinda goes to prove that the local DMV offices don't know $**T and have been giving me misinformation all these years.

Some day if I can find the photo I'll show a bunch of plates I have restored. One thing to remember is the colors have to be correct. I have found also that if it says they are red that is the color to use, not ruby or sunset or other fancy name. the dark yellow is safety yellow like used on road stripes and curbs. A light blue/gray for a 1918 plate I found in a rattle can called colonial blue. the back sides of many vintage Oregon plates were left in a drab primer I believe and I use cam or flat olive drab. If needed I have a color description sheet for Oregon plates.

Thanks JF, I have that color list.

By chance I was driving past a friends place yesterday and he was fiddling with a Model A in the yard so I stopped by for a minute.

We got to talking about this thread and he looked at me like I was stupid for having so many YOM cars and not knowing that Oregon would accept restored plates.

Then we walked into his garage and on the wall is a pair of 32 plates along with several other early years all in pretty good shape.

We are doing some trading, he says he will have them off of the wall by the time the PA gets here and I am ready to register it.

Whoo-Hoo, Just dumb luck I guess.

I have hesitated my reveal, but I guess since we are on the subject it would be OK for me to hijack my own thread.

Here is my soon to be new toy. Still waiting on shipping.  GRRR

IMG_8002.JPG

• Like 2

Wow ! Congrats, Jack ! I hope we can get out and about soon so I can cruise down South and meet you. Check out that PA and need to get a ride in the cool "Rat" you made ! Waiting with you and all the guys and gals here, looking forward to seeing a bunch of pics when you start your new ownership !!    -   Carl 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, C Carl said:

Wow ! Congrats, Jack ! I hope we can get out and about soon so I can cruise down South and meet you. Check out that PA and need to get a ride in the cool "Rat" you made ! Waiting with you and all the guys and gals here, looking forward to seeing a bunch of pics when you start your new ownership !!    -   Carl 

I will keep these in separate garages, 

I don't want any of the ugly rubbing off. (or visa versa)

28 Dodge project 026.jpg

IMG_8030.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If the 1932 plate(s) you find, for example was; 123-456 and someone else has a different year plate but same number, you can't use it because that plate number is in use. I am pretty sure the "-" in the number does not matter where it is located, it is not shown on the registration or title. 12-3456 would be the same as 123-456. In Oregon it is by number not year. With luck when you find your set, hopefully that number is not in use.

Thanks Mark, I did stumble onto a pair on my neighbors shop wall and we made a deal.

I went ahead and put one on the rear of the car so I could drive it less conspicuously, My appt at DMV is the end of January.

I have a few cars that have YOM plates and have been lucky along those lines thus far.

It took over a month to get the car out here from New York, I have had it out a couple of times but as most know, it rains here often.

IMG_8004.JPG

IMG_7870.JPG

• Like 1

Wow very nice! I just bought a Nissan 4X4 last Sunday, I mailed the title in. The next appt I could get to change over the title, would have been around March 9 and only two DMV's that were even close by. I updated my profile to show location. :)

I would have been glad to mail, but all cars coming to Oregon from out of state require a VIN inspection.

I suspect that we have mutual acquaintances as I know some guys from Canby. 

I live in Newberg.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 11:05 AM, JACK M said:

Thanks Mark, I did stumble onto a pair on my neighbors shop wall and we made a deal.

I went ahead and put one on the rear of the car so I could drive it less conspicuously, My appt at DMV is the end of January.

I have a few cars that have YOM plates and have been lucky along those lines thus far.

It took over a month to get the car out here from New York, I have had it out a couple of times but as most know, it rains here often.

IMG_8004.JPG

IMG_7870.JPG

Was wondering why you changed your avatar... 
Congrats... ! It's a beauty 

• Like 1