1933 Plymouth PC passenger door latch

JBP1933

1 hour ago, Taylormade said:

Do you mean the latch mechanism?  My 32 Dodge Brothers may be similar, but it uses a spiral spring not a leaf spring.  I can post pictures if you think it would help.

Pretty sure a 1933 Plymouth and a 1932 Dodge have nearly identical latch hardware. Especially on your 1932 Dodge. :)

On the “remote control” (i.e. handle portion) there is an odd shaped little spring that presses into an indent that nicely holds the inside handle in the locked position. Maybe that is the “leaf style spring”.

Okay, let's see if this helps.  Here is a complete latch assembly.  All four are basically the same, the rear doors having a shorter arm and the passenger and driver sides being mirror images of each other.

L2.thumb.jpg.5627d5aef0ff85f1619e89b5a7688ed2.jpg

I assume this is the spring you are referring to.

L1.thumb.jpg.7646c2dc00cacb72aff2fff06978db10.jpg

These are the three main pieces of the latch.

L6.thumb.jpg.9b0a9ce22a3823ec3071018bf0eec9d1.jpg

Are these the pivot points you are talking about?

L4.thumb.jpg.e3280b9cd215aececd00ec0521931883.jpg

If so, buy a bag of these from Hanson Rivet and Supply Company.

L3.thumb.jpg.3f46faee813edd2655d0b7f296a91466.jpg

They fit perfectly.

L7.thumb.jpg.5ace35fceb60095854665b9d3ceff479.jpg

L8.thumb.jpg.a3d5a96e2068e1b63fc756d9b6235dfd.jpg

You will have to increase the size of the hole in the plate slightly, to accommodate the rivet base, but it's no problem.  I don't have a source for the spring as I received a load of extra latches from Ply33 some time ago and have some extra springs thanks to his generosity.  Let me know if you need anything else.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 12:23 PM, JBP1933 said:

the leaf style spring is broke

2 hours ago, Taylormade said:

I know the original poster was a newbie.  I wonder if the information above was what he was looking for?

The leaf style spring is in the handle remote control, not the latch itself.  It's confusing about exactly where he means the missing pin was, though. 

I'll do the best I can to explain. The door handle lifts a bar to pull back the latch to open the door.

The bar has a pivot pin on the far side.that pin is the one missing. I believe a headed pin and it is swaged in place. I am not familiar with what you call the remote control.

I don't know how that spring goes in, but it looks like should return the bar back down and brings the handle back horizontal. do you know of any diagrams of this latch? 

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry I didn't see the pics From Talyormade.

There was a piece of spring at the bottom of the door.

I assumed it was this was another spring. So I saw this and purchased it.spring.thumb.jpg.03f7363768238d4b647d4b66230eb32e.jpg

Edited by JBP1933 (see edit history)

Are the pics I posted like your mechanism?  Are you talking about the outside door handle or the inner handle? As far as I (and ply33) know, what I posted should be the same as what you have.  Have you removed the mechanism from your door, or is it still in there?

The "remote control" is the assembly with the inside door handle. There is a rod/bar that connects that to the door latch which is at the edge of the door and engages with the striker plate to hold the door closed.

The spring you have pictured fits in the remote control part and helps hold the inside handle in the locked position.

But I am still confused by your questions. Perhaps you could photograph the items you need explanation of with circles drawn about the specific areas of confusion.

Just now, JBP1933 said:

I think I understand now. The spring is for the inside handle. Now all I have to do is see how it goes in. Thank you all I feel a lot better after my total confusion.

The only way I could figure out how to get those into my inside door handle "remote control" pieces was to disassemble the remote control, put it in, then reassemble. If I recall correctly, the only way I found to disassemble the remote control was to carefully straighten the tabs that held it together then bend them again when putting back together.

The spring you purchased goes in this end of the assembly - as you just said the inside door handle.

Here is the side that faces toward the outside.  You can see the spring you are talking about, one end of which notches in the slot on the part that turns.

ww2.thumb.jpg.1e17474d6f718f18563052f7776e992d.jpg

To replace the spring, you may have to remove the plate above it.  This is done by carefully bending the four tabs that hold it on to the larger plate.  You can see them in this view from the other side.

ww1.thumb.jpg.d6d154e44c8f4adc8d01db5895c35f50.jpg

All my springs were good, so I have never changed one.  I'll leave it to forum members who have to explain the process.  You may not have to remove the cover - I'm not sure.  I know someone on the forum was selling this cover, probably because the tabs get broken off when they are removed.

I hope this helps.

I understand what your saying.

My wife just happened to see part of the spring on the pics Taylormade sent.

The bracket on the plymouth that holds the spring is different.

I think I can figure out how it fits. any more pics of that spring?

I'm really excited now about getting this back together.

TX again guys.

The bracket may be slightly different, but I believe the spring is the same.  It's purpose Is to return the handle back to position after you rotate it to open the door.  The spring forces the handle back through pressure on the rotating plate (attached to the flat rod that connects to the outside door mechanism) and then snaps into the notch to hold it in place.  Since I don’t want to remove the spring for obvious reasons, the picture I sent is the best I can do.  It appears to be very close to the one you purchased, if not an exact duplicate.  Going by ply33’s advice, you need to take the plate off to replace the spring.  Be very, very, careful - if you break off the tabs, you’re sunk.  You, of course, are going to have to take the entire latch mechanism out of the door to accomplish this task.

Edited by Taylormade (see edit history)

. . .  Going by ply33’s advice, you need to take the plate off to replace the spring.  Be very, very, careful - if you brake off the tabs, you’re sunk.  You, of course, are going to have to take the entire latch mechanism out of the door to accomplish this task.

I don’t know that you have to remove that plate. Just that I was unable to figure out how to do it without removing that plate. :)

Here’s a laugh.  While trying to help JPB1933, I ended up taking a closer look at my door latch mechanisms.  It turns out one of my springs is also missing.  Three were fine, but my passenger side rear latch is minus the spring.  So, I will soon have a documented explanation on how to replace the spring - or perhaps how not to.

Here’s a laugh.  While trying to help JPB1933, I ended up taking a closer look at my door latch mechanisms.  It turns out one of my springs is also missing.  Three were fine, but my passenger side rear latch is minus the spring.  So, I will soon have a documented explanation on how to replace the spring - or perhaps how not to.

Those springs often go missing which greatly puzzles me.

The only way I could figure out how to get a new spring in was to disassemble the "remote control" assembly. Which implies that to remove the spring you would also have to disassemble it. But they obviously haven't been disassembled before. So how did the original spring get out? Maybe they break and then the pieces can come out separately. But given the materials and design, it seems unlikely that it would be a common thing for those springs to break.

Anyone got an idea about why so many of the lock springs in the remote controls are missing?

I found the broken piece of spring at the bottom of the door.

I don't know if I can explain it right, but I'll try.

After you undo the tabs and insert the new spring you have to clamp the outside f the tab that backs up the spring.

The spring pressure is so great that it will push that tab out when getting it back into the slots.

You will only get a few tries before that tab is broke

It seems like these springs break a lot.