Starting a 6 volt with 12 volt battery

Jamdadbay

Hi guys.. I'm picking up a 47 buick special this weekend and it was driven into a shed 35 years ago and parked. 

After cleaning out carburettor, checking valve movement, checking cylinder compression, electrical etc I'll want to turn her over and listen to the engine crank. 

I've got myself an old 6 volt battery but rather than continually cycle that old battery, I was wondering what impact it would have if I put 12 volt to the starter motor to turn her over. Thoughts and ideas? 

Cheers

If you have not already done so, shoot some motor oil in each cylinder to loosen the years of rust and gunk in there.  Let it sit a couple of days.  Install fresh plugs, wires, etc, two table spoons of gas in the carb and she should fire.  Those were my instructions from an old mechanic years ago and it worked first try on my '49 Roadmaster years ago.

• Thanks 1

Hello, definitely oil the cylinders as Dan O said I am dealing with scored cylinders possibly from my engine sitting for awhile. Also as mentioned keep all 6 volt lights and accessories off, the 12 Volt shouldn’t hurt the starter if used limitedly.You may want to have a separate gas supply, the gas tank can hold all sorts of stuff, gelled gas ,dead mice etc. And welcome to the forum ,if you have any questions please ask ,lots of people with experience on these Buick’s .

• Thanks 2