Removing '65 front turn signal housings

How do you remove the turn signal housings (below the bumper, beheath the clamshell headlights)?

I have a front left turn signal that won't blink.  I suspect the problem is a poor ground in the bulb socket.  I have two complete turn signal lamp housings and want to swap in one of these for the one now on the car.  Replacing the bulb socket alone is not simple.  

But, I can't see how to get to the two bolts that hold the front turn signal housing (assembly) to the fender?

Any help in this regard is appreciated!

Greetings Vancouver!  I don't have the Riv in front of me, but if my memory serves me well the turn signal assembly is held in place by three Phillips head screws. One is obvious at the bottom of the housing, the other two somewhat obscured between ribs at the top two corners. After removing the screws I believe the entire assembly can be removed.  Good luck!

4 hours ago, RIVNIK said:

Greetings Vancouver!  I don't have the Riv in front of me, but if my memory serves me well the turn signal assembly is held in place by three Phillips head screws. One is obvious at the bottom of the housing, the other two somewhat obscured between ribs at the top two corners. After removing the screws I believe the entire assembly can be removed.  Good luck!

Thanks RivNik,

Yes, the chromed grate is held on by 3 screws easily accessible from the front of the car.  But, what I'm looking to remove is the entire assembly including the bulb socket and wiring to it, not just the chromed grate that covers it.  Below is a pic of the spare turn signal assembly I want to swap in for the one that is now on my car. 

Turn signal housing 1.jpg

4 hours ago, telriv said:

Go to the tips section & look at my suggestion.

Hi Tom,

The tip you posted was on how to use carb cleaner to remove the wires from the boot behind the socket.

But I couldn't find info on how to remove the entire socket assembly from the car. 

Can you help?

IF you tried loosening the wires & checking to see IF the springs inside still have some spring to them all you have to do is put a drop of solder on each contact spot on the bulb.  

IF you can now get it to work the whole assembly may not need to be replaced MAYBE saving you some aggrivation.

Again, just a suggestion.

Tom T.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the tip about placing a drop of solder on the turn signal contact.  

I haven't had time to fiddle with this as yet, but thinking ahead it might be challenging to place a drop of solder on each contact spot while the socket is in the car.  Wouldn't the solder drop just run off and puddle at the base of the socket?  Sounds to me like you'd need to be able to position the socket flat so that the drop would stay in place.  Or, am I missing something?

No, NOT on the tips of the wire in the socket BUT the tip of the bulb.  IF you added to much all you have to do is hold the bulb in your hand & file the excess off until the bulb fits into the socket.  IF you added solder to the tip of the wire it would be very difficult yo file the solder down.

• Like 1

Go to the subforum "Riviera tip, vendors, websites, services" and look at the 4th post from the bottom. Watch the video on restoration of some 1965 Riviera turn signals.  It explains everything you'll need to know.