Intermittent Starting Issues with 49 Roadmaster

mgeissberger

My '49 Roadmaster has developed a starting issues. Sometimes when I put in the key and turn it to on, push the gas pedal, the car starts immediately. Other times when I turn the key to on and hit the gas I get nothing. If I take the shifter and push it towards park, sometimes that corrects the problem and the car starts. Any thoughts? 

If you have not personally replaced the starter solenoid and have only hearsay about it's condition just replace it.

My '60 had those symptoms a few weeks ago. I had the starter rebuilt 9 years ago at a good shop I use. It could have been many things but my first thought after tightening all the connections was the big contact in the solenoid. I needed to run into the city anyway. So I pulled the starter and set it on the shop's counter. The guy there looked it over and tried to dissuade me. I told him I would leave the starter while I ran over the Grainger's to pick up a diagnostic tool I ordered for the BMW (half and hour). If he had a chance check it. Otherwise I would pick up the starter as well as a new solenoid and put it on at home. Half an hour later I walked in and the assembly was on the counter, new solenoid and tagged complete. He said everything looked fine.

Worked every time since. I have to save my diagnostic skills for the BMW

On 10/12/2020 at 11:28 AM, 60FlatTop said:

If you have not personally replaced the starter solenoid and have only hearsay about it's condition just replace it.

This solenoid is a very rare item indeed.  I've been looking for one for months.

The solenoid can be disassembled and serviced. I have seen the repair kits on Ebay. Those kits include the large internal contact that sometimes burns. In the past I have disassembled mine and rotated the contact to a different point in its radius, it's a brass disk. Try that.

In my recent instance they took the starter apart and inspected everything, found nothing wrong, and just humored me with the new solenoid. It may have been a sticky brush holder that wasn't following the commutator and disturbing it freed it up. The car is fine now and it only cost me $45. The solenoid and brush action are things you can check yourself.

Here is a link to a solenoid kit on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-55-Buick-Cadillac-Studebaker-Oldsmobile-Starter-Solenoid-Repair-Kit/373237862320?epid=2180409911&hash=item56e6b5cfb0:g:UlMAAOSwwZBfb77d

1949-55-Buick-Cadillac-Studebaker-Oldsmobile-Starter-Solenoid-Repair-Kit

• Like 1