Period Images of the 1950s

Chevy.jpg

There are two ways to interpret this;

1. Oh honey it purrs like a kitten

2 Oh honey listen to this engine, it runs like a dog. 

If I was in charge of the release of this add I would have the Spaniel in the foreground eliminated. I bet the Ford guys had fun with this add.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

Just curious what cities the Chinatown pics were taken? The last one appears to have non-US license plates so strikes me as unusual to see a new 56 Chevy in it.

Good question.  I have no idea.

On 10/28/2020 at 3:42 PM, rocketraider said:

Just curious what cities the Chinatown pics were taken? The last one appears to have non-US license plates so strikes me as unusual to see a new 56 Chevy in it.

IT was taken in Tokyo in the mid-1950s.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, JACK M said:

I don't think I would fit in a tiger.

Maybe that red Lincoln would be more my size.......

Two things I remember about driving a Tiger in stock form. It tended to understeer with all that weight up front and the transmission tunnel took up so much room that the pedals were very crowded. In a straight line they were fun to drive and you were an attention getter. 

• Like 2
On 10/16/2020 at 3:22 PM, Pfeil said:

Marilyn Monroe poses next to a 1950 Pontiac Chieftain on the backlot of 20th Century-Fox in 1951. (Photos by Earl Theisen)

Interesting. The most risque and provocative photo of the thread (it looks like Marilyn Monroe) and they have her standing in front of...a '50 Pontiac sedan???

You'd think they could've come up with a Cadillac, Packard or Lincoln or something. 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/3/2020 at 9:01 PM, JamesR said:

Interesting. The most risque and provocative photo of the thread (it looks like Marilyn Monroe) and they have her standing in front of...a '50 Pontiac sedan???

You'd think they could've come up with a Cadillac, Packard or Lincoln or something. 😄

It is Marilyn Monroe, and it's her own Blue 1950 Pontiac Chieftain Deluxe 2 Dr. Sedan. It's the second car she owned. On the 20th Century-Fox lot 1951.

Marilyn Monroe poses next to a 1950 Pontiac Chieftain on the backlot of 20th Century-Fox in 1951. (Photos by Earl Theisen)Marilyn Monroe poses next to a 1950 Pontiac Chieftain on the backlot of 20th Century-Fox in 1951. (Photos by Earl Theisen)

interesting in todays world people consider her chubby. I happen to like a little something to hold onto instead of just skin and bone.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1