Period Images of the 1950s

George Cole

I miss those cars. I miss the restaurant and motel architecture and signage. I miss shopping centers and busy downtowns. And they were all still around when I was a kid in the 60s and 70s.

Did anyone notice the "AAA Approved" signs on motels and restaurants? When we were traveling my parents always looked for those. Don't know if AAA even does that anymore.

I really miss the old Holiday Inn signage. The logo and architecture HI uses now is banal and corporatized beyond belief; certainly doesn't make me want to spend a night there. Car dealers are even worse with their homogenized faceless logos.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have very little postwar (WWII) era  material but have some of these promotional sales sheets that were printed on coated stock paper and were about Coachcraft Ltd. spare wheel assembly ( their description) It notes that Darubu Ltd. on Santa Monica Blvd. in Hollywood, Ca was the distributor. Back of the sheet shows an exploded line drawing view of all the parts to add one to a car - wow a lot of effort and bits and pieces.

FORD1952sparetiresetup001.jpg

Edited by Walt G
spelling error (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Even though the car Division ads are way more common, it's obvious Fisher Body had some geniuses in their ad agency. The 59-60 "Time Travel" ads to this day have no equal. In those years GM clearly had its sights on the future.

And now they don't make anything I'd spend my hard-earned cash on.