Land Speed record attempt

18 hours ago, 28 Chrysler said:

They are shutting Nevada Highway 160 down by me today for a attempt to brake a speed record. I will post a photo of the roadway later to show why this location was chosen.

Good luck with your attempt at a landspeed record. I have raced my Corvette
at Bonneville, so I share your excitement and enthusiasm.
We are anxious to hear your results.
Dave

cleardot.gif

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2020 at 4:03 PM, JFranklin said:

Post a video when it happens!

The SSC Tuatara hit a top speed of 331 mph with a two way average of 316 mph garnering the title of the World's fastest production automobile.  Here's the video:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/supercars/sscs-tuatara-fastest-car-world-331mph-top-speed

I can't imagine going that fast at Bonneville, much less on a two lane public roadway!

Cheers,

Grog

4 hours ago, padgett said:

More gutz than branes ? Remote control (or can only Teslas do that ?).

4 hours ago, JACK M said:

Google shows a driverless car, but probably wont go over 55.

What are you guys talking about?  The video clearly shows a driver, and the speed record has apparently been verified and entered into the record books.

Cheers,

Grog

1 hour ago, padgett said:

Have seen the video and agree there is a driver but suspect Sector X will have it shortly. What happened to the earlier stills showing A Lot of air under the car ?

What is "Sector X", and why would they kidnap the driver?

Cheers,

Grog

There is 28 miles of posted 70 MPH between the mountain pass and Pahrump. It would take about 23 minutes to drive the distance.

The Tautrara (averaged 5.2 MPM over a seven mile timed course) it would be just under 5 1/2 minutes for the full 28 miles.

The average driver will do it in 20 ish.

12 hours ago, padgett said:

Have it sdrawkcab. Sector X.

10 hours ago, C Carl said:

Cool, Padgett ! Do you have, or have you played with one of their simulators ?    -   Carl 

Ah, now a smidgeon of understanding is creeping into the remanes of my brane.  Why bother with reality, when we can experience simulation while peering at video screens?  Just gotta love cgi!  Why bother with real actors/actresses, real cars etc. when they can all be pixilated?  Basement daredevils unite!

Cheers,

Grog

Think Beetlejuice (1988) was first when CGI could not be told from reality (trivia: am told it started as a straight horror movie but was changed to a comedy when test audiences could not handle it), Sky Captain (2004) was the first total blue screen. Any more to be sure of reality you have to be there.

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Land Speed record attempt

So I read that the record was set but, being the times we are in, there is some confusion where the video did not match the GPS.  They say it was an editing mistake.

But no matter to that, a record was set at 316.11 mph over 2 runs.

On 10/24/2020 at 9:20 AM, capngrog said:

Ah, now a smidgeon of understanding is creeping into the remanes of my brane.  Why bother with reality, when we can experience simulation while peering at video screens?  Just gotta love cgi!  Why bother with real actors/actresses, real cars etc. when they can all be pixilated?  Basement daredevils unite!

Cheers,

Grog

Believe me.  "Pixilated"  IS what they are.

Definition per Merriam Webster on line;

Definition of pixilated

1: somewhat unbalanced mentally
Edited by wayne sheldon
I hate leaving typos! (see edit history)

My mistake.  I meant "pixelated" instead of "pixilated".  Now images of pixelated pixies are whirling through the remains of my brane, resulting in just a bit of pixilation.

pixelated definition:  divided (an image) into pixels, typically for display or storage in a digital format.

I agree that my unintentional misuse of the word "pixilated" does bring forth some interesting mental images.

Cheers,

Grog