Chilton, Haynes, Motors Etc. How Early Were These Domestic Repair Manuals Published?

leomara

Looking for repair information for 1928 Chrysler other than the owners manual.  I'm told no shop manual was published by Chrysler for that year.  Have not found any of these multi-vehicle repair books that go back that far.  

Most of the  early Motors Manuals I’ve seen only go back to the early to mid 1930s.  They have a red cover.  The later published Motors Manuals have green covers.  I think the owners manual was the source of much information on the car with additional info found in magazines like the Automobile Trade Journal.  The AACA library might be able to help with searching for information.

Hi capngrog, yes in some ways it does help but not for the brakes because apparently they opted to use internal expanding shoes on the Imperial while my model 72 has the old external contracting type.

See also Reed Repair manuals (I have one that covers 1912-1926?) which was replaced by National Service Data (NSD) in the late 1920s--and ran thru at least the early 1960s (have some of those too).  These were subscription service for repair facilities and covered most if not all makes.  The local garage would get a hard binder and receive sheets to add to the binder.  Today you'll find them in large binders with hard covers and pegs through the holes, sometimes 6 inches thick.  The paper is fragile and I dare not try to disassemble to make copies, so I use the camera in my phone for pages of interest and then print out the mildly distorted images on my printer.

Note that NSDs were offered in two versions:  (1) electrical and ignition (only) and (2) elec & ign PLUS systems such as clutches, differentials, steering boxes, etc.