Anyone ever install AC on a 1961 364?

61LeSabre

Been doing some research and have an idea on what I need to do.  I can install 62-66 and up timing chain cover and water pump with 62-66 brackets&pulleys. Also need to upgrade my fan and add a fan shroud.  Was wondering if anyone has done this without upgrading to 62-66 timing chain cover?

I presume you're wanting to use the factory-type a/c compressor, or the aluminum version of it, rather than an aftermarket Sanden compressor?  One seeming unknown thing about the Sandens is that there are something like 17 different "backs", one of which attaches to the factory GM hose end.  Just need to use the one appropriate to "the gas" you're going to use.

Do you have the factory inside unit and control, too?

Enjoy!

NTX5467

8 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

I presume you're wanting to use the factory-type a/c compressor, or the aluminum version of it, rather than an aftermarket Sanden compressor?  One seeming unknown thing about the Sandens is that there are something like 17 different "backs", one of which attaches to the factory GM hose end.  Just need to use the one appropriate to "the gas" you're going to use.

Do you have the factory inside unit and control, too?

Enjoy!

NTX5467

I usually try and keep this car as factory as possible, but I'm okay with the Sanden.  Even though my engine compartment is original looking.  I have purchased a 40 amp generator and regulator for an AC application, but my also switch to an alternator as well.  No inside unit either, but I have found one that looks retro that I like.  My main concern is mounting the compressor.  61 364 brackets are hard to find, and from what I hear 62 and up won't work unless I change everything from the timing chain housing forward.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/11/2020 at 8:58 PM, Bill Stoneberg said:

Read this to begin with.  You may have issues finding the correct pullies.

http://centervilleautorepair.com/tech-info/installing-an-ac-compressor-on-your-nailhead

Thanks, Yea I actually had my car worked on by those guys.  I've talked to him several times about AC and the 364.  I know he doesn't recommend mixing pulley's, but I've heard about people using 401 pulleys.