Axle freeplay, '52 Nash-Healey

ojh

I need some advice, I am about to reinstall the rearend backing plates on a '52 Nash-Healey and there is too much freeplay in the axles.  There are shims between the axle bearing housing and the backing plate, I should be able to pull a shim out to tighten the axles, but the rear axle bearings are roller, not a cone.  

The rear is the same used in Nash Ambassadors, kaisers, late 40's up thru mid 50's.

Without the backing plate installed I have .013 freeplay, the backing plate contact the outer bearing race, shims between the backing plate and bearing housing.  Again, it is not a cone bearing, it is a roller bearing the freeplay seems within the bearing itself, if I apply pressure against the outer race I don't think it will tighten the inner.  If I were to make a guess I'd say the bearing is pressed on the axle like a 9" Ford.

Any thoughts?

I have the Nash Manual, they don't say what type of bearing is supposed to be in there, they say shim to .002-.004 freeplay by adding/removing shims from behind the backing plate.

Thanks, Oj

Never mind, I did a mockup with shims etc to see what'd happen and for whatever reason it took the freeplay right out, I did the drivers' side and its' smooth as silk.  I wish I could look in there and see what tightened up, I hate to work on faith.