Jump to content

My First Car 1978 Buick Regal


Recommended Posts

I still have this car! 
i painted the car myself at 16 with DuPont Centari single stage and the picture of my sister and I on Easter Sunday was taken a year later in 1994. I also installed a 455 from a 71 wagon that year. The car has been resting in storage now 17 years. My great grandfather was a Buick dealer here in my hometown and I’m a Buick fan. 

2E1A5103-499A-4345-89C5-E947BACF5CF9.jpeg

3D6C2215-A4C8-4B83-AE5A-2E5BDFC5EFCB.jpeg

9E5DF9F0-210B-4D75-ABBD-B96FD9C9D09C.jpeg

Edited by BobinVirginia
Typo (see edit history)
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

The first brand new car I bought was a blue '78 Regal with a white vinyl top. I bought it from Leschel Buick in Paterson, NJ where I grew up. My father wanted a smaller car and I wanted a larger one so he traded his '73 LeSabre for my Regal a few years later. I loved both cars. Glad you held onto your Regal. Do you plan to put it back on the road?

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

My first was also a 78 Regal 2 door coupe.   I purchased from my mom(she was finished with it and wanted something new).   White Landau top and paint.  White interior with red dash and carpet.  3.8 odd fire V6.  Great engine.  Performed very well past 100K miles.     I like the wheels you put on yours.  I kept the Buick rally wheels and installed the Dunlop white letter tires. 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Machine Gun said:

The first brand new car I bought was a blue '78 Regal with a white vinyl top. I bought it from Leschel Buick in Paterson, NJ where I grew up. My father wanted a smaller car and I wanted a larger one so he traded his '73 LeSabre for my Regal a few years later. I loved both cars. Glad you held onto your Regal. Do you plan to put it back on the road?

Yes, I do plan on putting it back on the road. Then the shenanigans will ensue once more!! It’s really a fun car with the big block and posi rear. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, avgwarhawk said:

My first was also a 78 Regal 2 door coupe.   I purchased from my mom(she was finished with it and wanted something new).   White Landau top and paint.  White interior with red dash and carpet.  3.8 odd fire V6.  Great engine.  Performed very well past 100K miles.     I like the wheels you put on yours.  I kept the Buick rally wheels and installed the Dunlop white letter tires. 

The wheels pictured were an old set of Keystone classics and the other Chevy rally wheels. I had lots of wheel combos on the car over the years including the Buick rally wheels. The 3.8 was a good engine except for the oil pump design. The steel rotating assembly in the aluminum front housing is what doomed many Buick engines. Love my old Buick and have great memories of my grandparents Buick’s 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sebastienbuick said:

beautiful buick and great project, I love it ! ;) 
Did your grandfather sell Buicks in what year ?

He sold Buick’s from the late 20’s through the 50’s if I’m correct. I’ll have to ask my mother to be sure. He had passed before I came along. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, retirednow said:

Nice! My first new car was a very similar ‘78 Monte Carlo, light blue with a white landau top. Great car

I like the 78 Monte’s! I recently saw a seafoam green one with 8” rally wheels with a good tire size nicely tucked in the the fender wells. It was super sharp! When I was younger I never thought I’d like the color combo of that car but after seeing all the new plastic cars it really looked great to me! Cars now seem like boring appliances with computer doodads. Glad I grew up in an age where we had fun, tough old cars to beat on and no smart phones with cameras to incriminate us! 🤣

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BobinVirginia said:

I like the 78 Monte’s! I recently saw a seafoam green one with 8” rally wheels with a good tire size nicely tucked in the the fender wells. It was super sharp! When I was younger I never thought I’d like the color combo of that car but after seeing all the new plastic cars it really looked great to me! Cars now seem like boring appliances with computer doodads. Glad I grew up in an age where we had fun, tough old cars to beat on and no smart phones with cameras to incriminate us! 🤣

 

Not to mention some of the best riding GM automobiles were built in the late 70's early 80's.  The interiors(velour) are some of the best.   IMO of course!    .   

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BobinVirginia said:

He sold Buick’s from the late 20’s through the 50’s if I’m correct. I’ll have to ask my mother to be sure. He had passed before I came along. 

 

Ok thank you, it must have been great to walk into a store like that in the 40s / 50s :) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sebastienbuick said:

 

Ok thank you, it must have been great to walk into a store like that in the 40s / 50s :) 

I’m sure it was fantastic seeing those completely American built machines new. Ahhhh, we can just imagine the world before the plastic disposable days. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad someone else had a 78 Buick as their first car.  Mine was a two door 78 LeSabre with a 403 Olds engine.   Anyway I drove that thing to where it was worn out and didn't have the knowledge or resources then to keep up with it.  Wish I would have kept it knowing what I know now, but I basically gave it away.  Had very nice amenities, six way power seat, AC, rally wheels, rally steering wheel, goes on.

Edited by capgage (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...