best movie car stunts

capngrog

Thinking this subject had been discussed before, I searched the Forum and found only one hit: a post I'd made a few minutes before.

Anyway, my nomination:

Steve McQueen's Porsche 917 crash in "Le Mans"

The link:

Cheers,

Grog

12 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

This has to be the greatest--all theoretical, one chance to get it right, no practice, one take, nobody knew whether anyone would die

While I agree this is the best car stunt ever, it was neither theoretical nor without practice. I knew that the stunt had been performed (admittedly with Javelins instead of a Hornet) prior to the movie jump, but I didn't know until today that they made four jumps with driverless cars to validate the computer model before the first jump with a driver, then a number of stunt jumps before the movie folks signed them up for the actual movie jump. I put this link in the Bond car thread, but it's appropriate here also.

• Like 1

Long car scenes besides LeMans:

- Bullett

- Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry

- Original Gone in 60 Seconds (original soundtrack is had to find but worth it).

- Grand Prix

- Vanishing Point (version with Charlotte Rampling scene)

- Red Line 7000 (with Cobra Daytona Coupe)

- Gumball Rally (with extended Jaguar scenes - sounds indaybreak NYC is a "must see")

others ?

8 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

While I agree this is the best car stunt ever, it was neither theoretical nor without practice. I knew that the stunt had been performed (admittedly with Javelins instead of a Hornet) prior to the movie jump, but I didn't know until today that they made four jumps with driverless cars to validate the computer model before the first jump with a driver, then a number of stunt jumps before the movie folks signed them up for the actual movie jump. I put this link in the Bond car thread, but it's appropriate here also.

I didn't know that. Everything I always heard was that it was a one-shot deal where they had some modeling and maybe some math, and I know they moved the driver to the center spot to make sure it rotated correctly, but everyone kind of shrugged and hoped that it would work. I didn't realize that they'd done previous trials. Thanks for the extra details, Joe!

Elvis turning a genuine 427 Cobra (CSX3012) into a Microplas Mistral by crashing it through a bridge railing and into a lake! (Shelly Fabres driving a Ferrari 250 GT)

I also would like to know how, in another racing scene, he was shifting the top loader while both hands were on the wheel--well, on second thought, maybe I don't!

Not a big wreck, jump, etc but I love the O Brother, Where Art Thou? scene when the center-door T crashes through the burning barn, driven by a kid in a leather aviator helmet, sitting on Wards catalogs to see over the steering wheel, and with wood blocks strapped to his feet to reach the pedals.  🤣

• Like 1

Blues Brothers Chase Scene

I'm not sure that it's the best but it is my favorite - even my now yikes 25 yr old son loves it - introduced him to it during a trip to Chicagoland Speedway for a race weekend around 2003 which seems entirely appropriate

BB: Thought that was when Dodge had too many unsold cars and was about broke.

7-ups: a convertible the fast way. When did the trailer underider bar law come into effect ? Always thought the Ventura Sprint was not appreciated.