Bond, James Bond Cars

capngrog

Here's a link to an interesting article today on Hagerty's web site:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/entertainment/10-bond-cars-not-made-by-aston-martin/?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=20_October_8_Newsletter_NewDD

I think that the writer missed several cars, especially the FIRST car driven by James Bond in any of the Bond movies, Dr. No.  That car was a black 1957 Chevrolet convertible.

With that said, like Padgett, I'll always associate James Bond with the Aston-Martin marque, especially the DB 5.

Cheers,

Grog

If you take a Hornet X to a car show and tell people it’s a James Bond car they will look at you funny for making that statement. If you take any Aston Martin to a show and claim it’s a James Bond car you will get a 👍 reaction.  

14 minutes ago, padgett said:

Astro Spiral car HAD to be a Hornet, was the only car they had figures for.

Not true. The original work and test jumps were done with a Javelin. AMC required the swap out for the Hornet in the movie because Javelin production ended before the movie came out in 1974. Product placement is worthless if the product isn't for sale.

1299822427780622888.jpg

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TerryB said:

If you take a Hornet X to a car show and tell people it’s a James Bond car they will look at you funny for making that statement. If you take any Aston Martin to a show and claim it’s a James Bond car you will get a 👍 reaction.  

The whole  point of this thread is "Bond cars that are NOT Aston Martins".

8 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

Yes I know but I’m just making a comment that to most of the public it’s not that way.  When my son was in Cub Scouts he modeled one of his pinewood derby cars on the James Bond Lotus that ran under water.  

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)

35 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

Actually, that was the point of the linked Hagerty article, but the thread "Bond, James Bond Cars" is open to discussion of any of the Bond cars.

Joe, thanks for the bringing up the "spiral jump" featured in "The Man With the Golden Gun".  As far as I'm concerned, that ranks right up with the best automotive movie stunts of all time, and, in my opinion, deserved an Oscar all by itself.  Double thanks for the background information on the test jumps, of which I was totally ignorant.

I guess this could lead into another thread, "Best Movie Car Stunts of All Time".  Well, why not?  I'll see if I can get one going ... if it hasn't already been done or someone beats me to it.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

There were actually something like seven or eight of the James Bond Lotus submarine cars. Most were just "shells" and each was used for a specific shot in the movie. For example one car was fitted with neutral buoyancy foam and "driven" by divers, hence all the bubbles coming from the car in the scene. One car was located by accident. It was purchased on Long Island, N.Y. by a couple that placed a $100 bid on a storage unit, that the owner had defaulted on the payments. The car was sold to Elon Musk for $100,000. Not a bad return on your investment.

The best Bond car in my book.   Although Bond didn't actually drive it.  And only one problem with this scene.   Bond places a magnetic homing device in the trunk of the Rolls.   Problem is the body is made of aluminum with a wood frame.  Nothing magnetic.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65nNcNiwJHM

Edited by K8096 (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

I am not a really big Japanese car guy , but this one is a exception.

Greg

2dc17077314beac937716a1dfa08ccbd.jpg

Which Bond movie was that one?  The one set in Japan with the armed auto gyro?  I don't remember the title of that one.  Regardless, that's a good looking car.  What is it?

Cheers.

Grog

The blower Bentley makes a cameo appearance in From Russia with Love. In Goldfinger, Q tells Bond that the blower Bentley has been put out to pasture and he will now be issued the Aston Martin DB5. 

Although never seen in the movies, Felix Leiter was said in two of the books to own a Cord and a Studillac. Ian Fleming was a car fancier who owned a 1955 and 1956 T-Bird. 

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

Of all the Bond Cars, did Bond actually own one?  If he didn't own one, he had one assigned to him by M and/or Q, and I seem to recall that all of these "owned" cars were of the Aston-Martin marque ... or am I "mis-remembering" again?  As '57 Bird stated above, I dimly recall that, early on in the series, his personally-owned car was a "Blower Bentley".

Puzzled as ever.

Cheers,

Grog