Anyone have a step by step vid of elec. fuel pump install for '55 322 or close?

jw1955buick

New tank, new sender, old hard line (blown out) new fuel pump, can't get fuel from the pump no matter what, it was working, even hooked up gas can directly to the pump to eliminate everything behind, nothing, tried an older pump that was supposed to be working, nothing out of it either. Now I've never installed an electric pump, I'm good with tubing and lines but crap with electronics, cruising the selection of Youtube pump install videos has not been fruitful, ideally, someone has a super crazy detailed step-by-step video of this install, explaining and more importantly showing exactly where everything hooks up. The application is a '55 special with a bone stock 322 out of a Super. Too much to ask probably?

Jim

If those "supposed to work, or did when removed" fuel pumps have been exposed to ethanol'd fuel in their past, even if the diaphrams were "ethanol resistant", it's been said that once the fuel system dries out, those rubber diaphrams will deteriorate and crack.  Which might be what's happened to your pumps?

If they are the "Carter style" with screws around the edge, get a rebuild kit for them and make it happen.  They are NOT hard to rebuild.  Be sure to check that the internal check valves are working, too.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

In my quest to locate the problem, I pulled apart and inspected the brand new airtex I bought on Ebay and the oldy, they both looked perfect, the older diaphrams didn't look as "fresh" as the new but still serviceable, when I bench test them pumping the levers, they're very firm and seem to be in operating order, the new one was on the car and driving then I back into the driveway stopped and it acted like it just ran the carb smooth outta gas, which it did, checked the tank, it had some flakes in it so I replaced it and the sending unit, blew out line both ways, new fresh pure gas, put back together, can't get anything out of either fuel pump after cranking forever and ever. I'm perplexed, I've got nowhere left to go except try to get carb fuel a different way.

Use a Rotary Vane-type electric fuel pump rather than the "bullet" style pulsating type.

Install the electric pump in line, as far back and close to the tank, and as low as possible - preferably on the inner side of the chassis.

Electric pumps are great at pushing - not at pulling-

Install with wiring to an On/Off switch so you can use it to prime the system after the cas has been sitting for a while,

and also to overcome vapor lock such as when you stop for a long traffic light on a hot day, then pull half way across the intersection and feel a loss of power.