Removing Rear Brake Drums 29 DB

CassDB29

• CassDB29 changed the title to Removing Rear Brake Drums 29 DB

Back off the brake drums.

Make sure you have the axle nut screwed on loosely.

Tighten the puller by banging on the ends of the rotating ends with a sledge hammer.

Let it sit for an hour or two, then bang on the ends again.

Keep at it.

Go to bed.

Wake up in the middle of the night to a loud bang as the drum lets loose.

Go out to the garage and thank your lucky stars that the axle nut prevented the drum from flying off and punching a hole in the garage wall.

Move to opposite drum and repeat procedure.

They will come off eventually - unless you have a Chinese made puller.  Then it will probably break before the drum lets loose.

• Haha 1

I have been following this post and took an interest because I used an identical puller on our car a month ago.

Is the picture at the beginning of the post the actual setup now in use or a stock picture.

I might suggest results would be better with an even pull using all 3 arms of the puller. One lug nut is missing.

When you first put tension in the puller the threaded screw should try to center on the axel.

A secondary question. Did dodge always use lug nuts?

Our 32 DeSoto has lug bolts. What a pain changing tires.

I use 2 headless bolts to remove and mount tires.

On 10/6/2020 at 11:20 PM, Touringcuda said:

I have been following this post and took an interest because I used an identical puller on our car a month ago.

Is the picture at the beginning of the post the actual setup now in use or a stock picture.

I might suggest results would be better with an even pull using all 3 arms of the puller. One lug nut is missing.

When you first put tension in the puller the threaded screw should try to center on the axel.

A secondary question. Did dodge always use lug nuts?

Our 32 DeSoto has lug bolts. What a pain changing tires.

I use 2 headless bolts to remove and mount tires.

We are using all 3 lugs. That picture was taken as we were moving the puller to different screws to try a different angle

Edited by CassDB29 (see edit history)

On 10/5/2020 at 6:25 PM, zeke01 said:

Have you tried backing the brake shoe adjustment screws back? The drum puller works better without resistance from the shoes. Zeke

We have now loosened the brake shoe screws. We pounded on it for about an hour and it's still not budging. We're leaving it for tonight and hopefully it will pop off

On 10/6/2020 at 9:27 AM, CassDB29 said:

My dad and I are working on restoring his 29 DB 6. We're trying to remove the rear brake drums and not having much luck. We have a hub puller and have been tapping the drum with a 2x4 and a sledge and it is not coming loose. Any advice on removing the drums?

16019386285104173882070672546928.jpg

Took me 3 days to shift my 34 Chrysler drums, same puller same advice as everyone else, patience is the key.