HELP: Cadillac V16: trying to ID this distributor

It sure looks like a later Cadillac 12 or 16 distributor with the position of the dual points. I agree that 8 lobe is correct for V16. The later distributor & cap are smaller in diameter than the 30/31 and look very different. 16 is about 1" larger dia. than 12. The later 12 & 16 have automatic timing.  I see that the plate looks rusty but you should be able to rotate the plate slightly in either direction and it should spring back to idle position. If you can remove the plate there should be a set of weights that expand out by centrifugal force and mechanically adjust the plate & points to match the RPM's of the engine. The later distributor with improved carbs and fuel pump to replace the 30/31 vacuum tanks made the later cars perform and drive better.  The V12 gained 15 HP and the V16 gained 20HP.

I don't know what else it could be. Nash made dual (point) ignition 6's & 8's but I think those were Autolite. I think DElco made the Marmon 16 distributor and I believe use the same dist shell as the earlier cadillac. but the plate & points are completely different and didin't have the auto timing. 

Looks like a 16 distributor to me....1934.........so rare it will be hard to sell..........the biggest collector for that part is out west. Whenever we drive our 16, we carry a spare distributor with cap and wires attached......much easier to deal with on the side of the road without doing major surgery. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I checked your distributor number in the "big Delco book"  and the AEA catalog for electrical parts.     Cadillac used that distributor in 32 through 1937.    I also checked to see if Marmon used the same distributor because they used the same distributor cap with only slight differences for their V16.   Marmon distributors were different numbers even though they used the same basic cap. 

On 10/5/2020 at 2:58 PM, edinmass said:

Looks like a 16 distributor to me....1934.........so rare it will be hard to sell..........the biggest collector for that part is out west. Whenever we drive our 16, we carry a spare distributor with cap and wires attached......much easier to deal with on the side of the road without doing major surgery. 

Would that guy out west have a first name of TOM?