1922 Buick fuel tank

Hello,

I could not locate a good fuel tank for my 54 sports roadster so we fabricated one. (oval)

I have one fuel tank strap believed to be original to the car. On the front end it has  a "T" bolt

through the frame but the rear of the strap is just placed through a slot and bent over.

Is this correct? 

Was there webbing used on the top of the tank where it contacts the frame?

I have a small pump on the drivers side of the tank. Fuel supply line has a banjo fitting on the shaft of this pump.

I question whether this pump will allow enough fuel to be drawn to the vacuum tank as the hole only lines up with banjo fitting in

one spot. This has me puzzled. Am i missing something?

Thanks,

Dennis

Itching to drive this car but limited to a full vacuum tank of fuel. 

My 22 model 45 had webbing on both upper and lower straps. Upper straps were held on by these clips.  One clip and one split rivet on each side.  I had to make one, as seen in my second slide, that would work because one of my clips was destroyed.

gas tank upper strap and clip.jpg

gas tank upper pad clips I made 1 new.jpg

Yes, 

The strap is just bent over on itself.  The end of the strap is on the tank side so that it is squeezed in place.   These are my top and bottom straps for a 1925 Buick Standard.  They used a tar paper like material between the tank and the starps.  Oil impregnated webbing is a good substitute as well.  Anything to protect the paint on the gas tank.  Maybe provide some photos of your fuel pump issues as this is not factory.    Hugh

1533415617_IMG_6635Asphaltpadsongastankstraps.thumb.JPG.e6d10382ce5a7b74c1fb47b668592df4.JPGIMG_6636.thumb.JPG.ddec8c19a314f50db0c765990835a3f2.JPG

Posted (edited)

Great pictures Guys. Many thanks.

Another question. Hugh's picture clearly shows separate upper straps.

Mark,

Are those upper straps or part of the frame?

I thought my tank clamped against the frame on the top side and just had bottom straps.

Car and gas tank are in two separate garages. I'll look closer tonight.

Thanks again,

Dennis

Hugh,

My bottom straps were bent over just like your picture. Just didn't look quite right.

Edited by dl456
add info. (see edit history)

Maybe this helps.  Lower strap had the webbing glued onto it.  The upper portion is a short strap piece pictured below bolted on the car and the rest is the frame as you said.  I glued the webbing on the upper short piece and frame and also attached as the original webbing was.  The webbing was originally held onto the short piece with the split rivet and was held onto the frame portion with the metal clip. 

Gass tank straps labeled.jpg

If I remember correctly that short piece of the upper brace or strap was held onto the car by the large bolt and nut used to hold and tighten the lower strap at the front of the tank

Thanks Mark,

Helps a lot.

One more question if you will. Does your fuel pickup at the tank have a banjo fitting 

or flare fittings?

Thanks,

Dennis