There will be NO Street Rods in the AACA

I am posting an article that will appear in a later edition of the AACA magazine. It is my hope that this article will answer much of the confusion and debate over the new Class 37. Please pay special attention to the role of the Certification Committee and the required documentation. As I have offered before, I will be happy to talk with anyone about this class. Just email me at jerryduncan@netrax.net or call 717-843-4230 I invite your comments after you read the article.

Thanks

Jerry Duncan

"There will be NO Street Rods in the AACA" by Jerry Duncan

For those of you who only read the title or first line of an article, you should be feeling much better now. For the rest of you who are already informed about the new A.A.C.A. Class 37 "Historic Hot Rods", read on.

Amidst much discussion and controversy, I am writing this article to try and answer many of your questions and calm some of your fears.

It was February 1999 when this story begins. At the annual A.A.C.A. meeting in Philadelphia, a topic of discussion was the interest in early Hot Rods and the part they played in automotive history and development. As a result of the interest generated, the president of the A.A.C.A. asked that a committee be formed to create a definition of a "Historic Hot Rod" and develop guidelines for such a class within the structure of the A.A.C.A. We formed a committee as requested and started the task of defining the class.

Two years passed, and after revisiting the issue, our committee was asked to provide a display of what type of cars would be eligible for this proposed new class. A small display of two "Hot Rods" appeared at the Hershey Fall meet in 2001. Now we are in 2002 and the class has been established. So what is a "Hot Rod". Well let's start with what it is not. It is NOT a street rod. A street rod is a car that has been modified with modern components such as air conditioning, power steering, power brakes, tilt steering, velour upholstery, CD players, radial tires and many other modern aspects found on production cars. Their focus is comfort and driveability while utilizing an original or aftermarket body of a pre 1948 automobile or truck. This is NOT what Class 37 is about. Now with that said, what kind of car is a hot rod? I will refer to the original definition used for establishing this class:

The A.A.C.A. Historic Hot Rod Class is open to vintage Hot Rods that were reconstructed from an automobile originally manufactured prior to 1949. In order to qualify for this category a vehicle must retain a preponderance of the major components such as: body, chassis, front and rear suspension, motor and other key parts that made the hot rod distinct during its reconstruction. Documentation will be required to establish that the vehicle was originally modified at least 25 years prior to the date of application to compete in this category. The vehicle must appear as it did during the period of time for which you are documenting and requesting A.A.C.A. certification. Certification forms will be the same as class 24A with some slight modifications.

The Certification Committee will be responsible for determining if a vehicle qualifies for this class. Documentation for this class will consists of magazine features, television or motion picture exposure, show programs, owners contribution to automotive design or history, cultural impact of vehicle. The area of acceptable documentation will be at the discretion of the certification committee. The certification committee will make a recommendation to the Vice President of class judging as to its authenticity. The final decision remains with the A.A.C.A.

So what does all that really mean, as an example, it means that if you have a car or truck originally built in 1948 and is was modified into a hot rod in 1955, you must have the majority of the parts of the car when it was a hot rod and they cannot be newer than 1955. It also means that you have had the car certified by the A.A.C.A. certification committee and your documentation meets the requirements necessary to be allowed in the new class. The final decision is up to the certification committee and the A.A.C.A.

The purpose of the A.A.C.A. is to preserve automotive history and tell the whole story of automotive development. You cannot do this without recognizing the contribution that early hot rodding played in automotive history. Many of today's automotive icons were hot rodders and racers. Names like Henry Ford, Louis Chevrolet, the Duesenburg Brothers, Enzo Ferrari and list goes on and on.

Hot Rods have impacted our culture as strongly as anything that ever rolled on four wheels. From coast to coast, names like Doane Spencer, Tony LaMassa, Dick Scritchfield, Neal East and Ed "Big Daddy" Roth displayed their creativity along with Norm Wallace, Tommy Foster, Artie Johnson and Fran Banister. This area of automotive history is part of the picture and deserves to be invited to the party.

As a member of the A.A.C.A. and a Hot Rod enthusists I agree with the cry "There will be No street rods in the A.A.C.A."

I don't care whether hotrods are allowed on an AACA showfield. I like them. But you still have that 25 year cutoff in the class wording, and that opens up a can of worms. That says a car constructed in 1977 is now eligible for this class, which defeats your own definition of an historic hotrod.

Change the eligibility cutoff to 1965 or even 1970 and I think all the controversy will go away. Until such time as you've taken steps to eliminate any possibility of a modern constructed car being in Class 37, you're going to hear negative feedback.

The "KEY" part of Class 37 that will make your example not able to happen is the Certification and Documentation process. For purpose of this discussion, the Golden Age of hot rodding was just before WWII and the post war years up to the early 60's to some degree. By then the Hot Rod community, for lack of a better term, was splintered into more specific uses of the cars i.e. drag racing, road racing, show cars, street cars (Later to become Street Rods) and a small group who wanted to preserve the "Good Old Days" and keep their hot rods as they were. It kinda sounds a little like the AACA mission statement? But I digress, the cars we (the certification committee) will allow in this class for exhibit or judging will be "put through the ringer" to assure that they represent the intent and spirit of the Class and it's objective, which is "to preserve the past"

Jerry Duncan

With those open ended guidelines who is to say that the Committee cannot decide to certify Good Guy John's Historic Hot Rod but not certify Bad Boy Jim's because he is such a jerk. That is leaving too much to chance and the discretion of the committee. Just my opinion.

As I have said from the very beginning, my objection is to the haphazzard manner in which this class was set up and the questionable manner in which it passed the Board.

And again I go back to all the assurances [of questionable worth] that we have been given that this is <span style="font-weight: bold">ONLY</span> an EXHIBITION class. If that is the truth, which many of us doubted from the beginning, why the term "application to compete." What will they compete for in an exhibition class, a parking space? You do not assign a Judging Class # to a class that will not be judged. That was just a ruse to sneak it through.

hvs

Are the Guidlines posted here the AACA Guidlines, or are they yours? According to this Guidline a pre-1949 body car, that was modified 25 years ago can compeat in this class. That means a 'Rod' done in 1976 can be concedered for 'Historic' Hot Rod Class. I don't understand how this can be Historic? confused.gif Are you really speaking for the AACA here??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-style: italic">"There will be No street rods in the A.A.C.A."</span>

</div></div>

Jerry,

I'm only 44, but this assertion rings with all the clarity of the many other assertions I've heard regarding AACA and antique cars. For instance:

<span style="font-style: italic">"There will never be a collectible Chevy!"</span>--I'm not too young to remember a Hemmings absolutely dominated with Ford and Full Classic ads.

<span style="font-style: italic">"All post-war cars are (and always will be) nothing but <span style="font-weight: bold">used cars</span>!"</span>--I know people who <span style="font-style: italic">still</span> profess this to be true, and not just for themselves! (in fact I once worked a show where one of the organizers actively kicked out entire clubs of authenticly restored cars that were {in most cases} over 35 years old at the time, calling them "used cars").

<span style="font-style: italic">"There will never be a collectible foreign car!"</span>--Anybody have a count at this time how many Toyotas have earned their Junior badges? I've only seen one myself, a Corolla.

<span style="font-style: italic">"Who'd want to restore an old truck?"</span>--Only fifteen years ago it was still a rare thing to see.

<span style="font-style: italic">"No one will ever collect Japanese motorcyles!"</span>--etc.

It's a simple observation. 25 years really isn't all that long. Many classic "street rod" pieces, mechanical and cosmetic, are already well beyond that period. The day will come when such item as Petronix ignitions and Holley TBI's become important "parts in the history and development" of automobiles as well. If my life insurance salesman is correct, I'll almost certainly see that day.

I seriously doubt that in 50 years the club will be 100% street rod free. However, if there is to be <span style="font-style: italic">any</span> hope of keeping these types of classes from someday diluting the intent of our current focus on authenticity, there will have to be some very careful rethinking of the definition of this class and the wording used.

I am a supporter of Class 37 in concept. I have no doubt that it is being proposed in a well-intentioned manner. However, once <span style="font-style: italic">intent</span> is put into place with <span style="font-style: italic">procedures</span>, nothing will matter but the procedures (and how easy or difficult they'd be to modify in the future). The critiques that you're recieving here are intended to assure that the vision for the class that we've been given is workable and stable over long stretches of time. Simply wanting to limit the class to Bonneville veterans and their ilk will, in the long haul, not nearly be enough to preserve the concept and vision that you describe.

Be vigilant and think critically, you can bet that the street rodders will be ever more so with annually increasing intensity.

I believe the current guidelines will protect the intent of the class, which is to ONLY recognize the hot rods that have genuine significance. Just like the race car class 24, these cars will have to prove that they meet the criteria set by the A.A.C.A.

If a cutoff date is the only thing that will solve unrest this class addition has caused, then that may be the solution we choose. As for "who do I speak for" I was appointed Chairman of the Historic Hot Rod Committee by Joe Vacini, VP of Class Judging and I always clear any posted information with Bill Smith Executive Director of the A.A.C.A before I post.

I grant you this class is much different than possibly any other class within the A.A.C.A. but so are the cars and the reason they were created. As with any new project, there are some rough spots. We will do our bets to smooth these out as soon as possible and hopefully allow those of you who are having problems understanding this issue to move on to another topic. There are qualified people involved in the addition of this class and I believe if you allow a little time and TRUST in their judgement, the outcome will be favorable. One other note, this class was only proposed as an exhibition class, it was decided by A.A.C.A. officials that the structure needed to be in place for the possibility of judging should that be the case in the future. At this point all this confusion and unrest is "much ado about nothing".

Dear Jerry, Have any of the cars now being concedered for this new class (including yours) ever been registered with the DMV as HISTORIC or were they registered as STREET ROD? Just an honest yes or no would be nice. Thanks, Jay lo

At this point in time there are NO cars being considered for the class. We have not invited anyone to enter the class until the guidelines are without question and clear to everyone. Beyond that, I don't know how each individual state requires a hot rod or antique car to be registered. As for my cars, I have them registered as normal cars with a standard PA plate. I feel no need to have antique, street rod, or special interest plates on my cars. I'm allowed to register them as normal cars with standard PA issue plates, so that's what I choose. Sorry for the expaned answer, but Yes or No just won't fit.

Thanks for your prompt answer. The reason I asked is that many states do require that the vehicle be registered as 'Antique' or 'Modified' and in some states the tag says 'Street Rod'. Thus there could be cars entering this Class 37 with 'Street Rod' licence plates. That makes a conflict of 'NO' Street Rods when some are registered as such. Do you think they will have to take off there tags to enter the Show Field and should they? Thanks again for your attention, Jay lo

This is just my opinion, but if a "Historic Hot Rod" appeared at Hershey or any other AACA santioned show and had Street Rod plates on the car, I would ask that they remove the tag before coming onto the show field. Your point is well taken and I don't want to open another can of worms. It would be up to the AACA to make that offical policy.

This question re license plates is a non-problem. No vehicle ever arrived at the dealership with a license plate. If there is no plate at the time of judging, fine. Since we know that most of the cars are driven a little (some a lot), they must have a valid tag. AACA judges don't care if it is a regular tag, YOM, vanity, or whatever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I believe the current guidelines will protect the intent of the class, which is to ONLY recognize the hot rods that have genuine significance. Just like the race car class 24, these cars will have to prove that they meet the criteria set by the A.A.C.A. </div></div>

Jerry,

First of all, thank you very much for participating in this discussion. This forum and (most of) the posts I see in it elevate my opinion of the AACA everyday, none more than your own.

With regard to protecting the intent for Class 37, I think the crux of my point is that there is a <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">very</span></span> big difference between certifying a cut and dry objective fact in the history of a given vehicle, like the language in Class 24 <span style="font-style: italic">("any 3 or 4 wheel self-propelled vehicle, excluding competition motorcycles, which was actually operated in a recognized or documented contest of speed or acceleration (other than a reliability run) on an oval, circular or straight course")</span>, and certifying the obviously subjective criteria for Class 37 that you've paraphrased here <span style="font-style: italic">("which is to ONLY recognize the hot rods that have genuine significance")</span>.

Words like "genuine", "significant", "important", "meaningful", "historic" etc. present opportunities for a wide range of interpretation. The same goes for phrases like "owners contribution to automotive design or history, cultural impact of vehicle", not to mention "the majority of the parts of the car when it was a hot rod". In giving the Certification Committee such a wide lattitude of grey area to be responsible for, you may be giving them a job that will gradually become impossible in a practical sense.

Worse, you could be giving a beligerent, litigious owner of a car you and I would call a street rod all the room his attorney would need to <span style="font-style: italic">force</span> the certification decision out of the club's discretion, setting his own precident for us. Should this class become a success, it isn't hard to see the financial reward that getting the car certified would bring to the owner. Aging, out of style street rods are notoriously worthless and difficult to sell. Many of these will have just enough documentation to arguably meet the minimum of the standards specified for Class 37 certification. Pressure will be brought to bear, and it's not hard to foresee Howard's vision of many multiple sub-classes proliferating <span style="font-weight: bold">whether or not the Committee or the Board want them to.</span>

This is definately a case of a capitalist buying rope from Lenin. I think it would be advisable to give yourself the shortest leash imaginable, at least at the start of the program.

Finally someone has come forth to join me in asserting that this is a financial issue--to support the dropping market for rods. While we all were stunned and surprised at the outrageous market manipulation that took place shortly after AACA extended its judging classes to post-war (25 yr old) cars, I think we all now can take a seat and watch it happen again with hot rods. Only this time we will be paying attention. At least they will do it in shame this time.

Dear Mr Barnet, I'm affraid you do not speak for ALL the AACA judges as many of us DO care if a vehicle comes on the AACA show field with a STREET ROD tag. Please in the future, speak for your self. On behalf of the many you do not speak for we thank you. Jay lo mad.gif

Jay lo, Please understand that my comment only relates to legitimate state tags. If Class 37 becomes a reality, and if the state the owner lives in will only issue a tag for that car is the tag which is issued for street rods, then AACA will have to accept that tag regardless of our feelings about that class of vehicles. If Class 37 does not succeed then it's a moot point.

JB-ed et al,

I don't have any reason to believe that there is an intentional financial motivation on the part of anyoone in the AACA regarding the establishment of this class, and as far as I can tell neither does anyone else. It serves no one to question the personal motivation of anyone or any group in this mattter, and neither does the placing of negative value judgements on the potential market related impacts of this move.

I frankly do not find the potential for enhanced financial value for old street rods to be a bad thing. Their current status largely insures that they become parts cars or scrap metal at this time. Anthing that preserves (for example) a '33 Willys cowl for potential later authentic use is probably a good thing.

The only reason I raised the finacial issue is to assert that there are many more aspects to the creation of this class than are currently being brought to the table.

jerry duncan, i know there hasn't been any cars certified as yet but could you please put a picture on the forum. too many on this forum refuse to understand the differance between a street rod and a hot rod. if you could put a picture of an example car and it's possible credentials of historic significants maybe they would understand. my suggestion would be the 22jr. when it was a street car. after all some people may remember it. just a suggestion from someone who agrees with class 37.