Hershey anxiety

Restorer32

I don't miss the mud at all!  I do miss the Blue field where the amusement rides are now. Found some of the best stuff I have there - an original Accessory catalog NOS for the 1930 & 1931 Franklin, my first 1927 Lincoln pressed steel toy sedan made by Turner Toy Company that is about 27 inches long , 8 inches wide, 10 inches tall. and Randy Mason of The Henry Ford Museum brought a van full of brass lamps that the Ford Museum wanted to sell because they were of European manufacture and the Ford Museum is an American museum. I bought a Powell & Hamner self generating headlamp from Randy ( English made) ca. 1908  that weighed a ton, as I walked backed to our car which was parked on a side street,  about 100 feet away two fellows were walking in towards  us, they started to stare at the light I was carrying by the bail handle and didn't say a word until they were just past us and one said to the other in a very heavy southern accent " There isn't enough brass polish in my whole county to clean that". I had to stop walking as I was laughing so hard I had to catch my breath.

Walt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hershey without mud is like Hershey without chocolate.........the good old days when men were men, and weather didn’t affect sales...........or participation. Only a few of us hard core old timers left.

3783534B-CBF2-4D40-B790-89C50EECD4E9.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guest Mark McAlpine
On 10/4/2020 at 9:12 PM, Marty Roth said:

Hershey always coincides with my birthday,

so ----

does this mean than I'm not really getting older?

Aren't you celebrating 39 this year, Marty--again?

Fifty years ago David Ficken from Long Island published a Hershey guide. It was a great useful guide, that AACA somehow banned a year or so later. Blue field was all we had back then, now covered with roller coasters. Our first spots that year or next were right across from that long row "CC" that ran parallel to the main road. . Field wasn't filled yet that would take a few short years. Bob 

DSCF1551.JPG

DSCF1552.JPG

DSCF1553.JPG

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I can't say I miss the mud but didn't let it stop me. I bought a new pair of high boots a couple of years before most of Hershey was paved and still haven't worn them out like the pair they replaced, probably dry rotted. I do miss the grass, easier to walk on and it could be pouring down and our feet would stay dry under our canopy, now the water runs through and everything has to be off the ground.

Of course the year of lake Hershey the grass didn't even help the water flowing. We were lucky not to be in one of river flowing through the Blue field. Down the row from us a fellow had rims wash out of his space and when he stepped out of his camper the water was flowing a couple of inches below his step. The only year we never had the booth open and had no sales, pre canopy days, only a place to sit. When it started looking promising on Saturday we were going to open just to let things dry a bit. Then they came on and said there were tornado warnings and the tractors would only be running another hour or so. We threw everything into my rambler wagon (we had used the fold down seats as our camper) and my friends car and got out under our own power in less than an hour. We went up to the truck stop on 39 and threw everything on the pavement and repacked for the long trip home. We usually didn't leave till Sunday morning back then. Since it was getting late by the time I needed gas I discovered the gas stations on my route all closed at 9pm. I had to unload the wagon to sleep in it, so kept going. ran out of gas less than a mile from home around midnight. We were using white gas stoves and lanterns back then and I had a half gallon of Coleman fuel in the back. A fellow stopped to see if he could help as I was pulling the Coleman can out of the back and I thought he would have a fit when I dumped it in to the tank. Expensive last mile but I didn't have to walk. I think the next year we started using unleaded gas in our stove and lantern. But that is another story.

On 10/6/2020 at 12:55 AM, 1937hd45 said:

3783534B-CBF2-4D40-B790-89C50EECD4E9.png

Notice the ARDUN V8 on the far right side of the photo. 

Notice the guy in the blue jacket eyeballing the Ardun, while he is holding his wife’s hand- and she is right there in her best (non-mud approved) shoes. Of course, she wants that Ardun as much as he does. You see women like this at Hershey- standing next to their man as his partner and friend. Ah, my wife....would be hanging out at Chocolate World, waiting for me to get done in the mud. Drat!

• Haha 2

On 10/5/2020 at 5:46 PM, edinmass said:

Tonight, it would be dinner at the Old Canal House, and back forty years ago people like Austin Clark, Bill Harrah, Zimmerman, Tiny Gould, J B Nethercutt, and all the legendary car collectors. Everybody ordered the Delmonico steak. A few highballs or maybe an old fashioned, long before the era of martinis. You could walk the blue field and by every single part for a V-16 Cadillac that you wanted. I would’ve been there pulling my wagon making 25 bucks a day.....50 in the mud. My grandfather, and father are long gone..........mom is still with us at 95. Time rolls on........

64767D60-939D-49E5-83AE-A8BB5FA4C435.jpeg

• Like 1

My friends and relatives are all asking (What are you doing here?) because they know we are always at Hershey this week.  All of them know to not plan any event the first week of October if they want us it attend. From some of the post I have seen I think we will see a lot of new restorations on the show field next year. Can't wait!!!

I gave my Dad a small box of Hershey mud one year for Christmas when he missed a really muddy year. I looked all over for it when we cleaned out his shop and didn't find it.

I was at Hershey yesterday,  drove all over the  fields, orange, green, both choc and red.

All the way around car corral too.

Took pictures of our spaces  and some friends too.

I did get a part,  while at the Tangier shopping Mall parking lot, for my Essex.

HERSHEY IS GREAT   after 57 years in a row, un broken !!!!!

• Like 1

I know I should have done this last week but our local BBQ restaurant mentioned on their FB page they had a special beer for a limited time. So tonight for supper I order their Redneck Nachos and a beer for carry out. Both were very good.

HersheySupper-mod.jpeg