Wow but it feels so strange not having to rush around to get ready for Hershey! On top of that it looks like the weather will be perfect. After 52 years at Hershey it just feels so wrong not to be getting ready even though we were not showing a car this year.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I agree......also, my back should be killing me about now from loading five tons of junk. Makes me nervous not to be in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania this week. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I will be in Hershey this year, will keep my 57 year perfect attendance there intact.

Of course I can visit Grand Sons and family 75 miles away.

Well I hope the Classic Motor Mall in Morgantown is open, as I will pass it times.

• Like 1

I totally agree, well said. I haven't added much to my collection for the past several years on trips to Hershey , but do stock up on supplies to use restoring what I already have . The best part is the 4+ days my son and I spend together, just like I did with my parents . Without doubt the worst part is not seeing friends in person ( friends from England, Australia, Germany etc.)  . Meeting new people who then became friends , the annual "family reunion" won't be this year . It fills all the senses - the aroma in the air of sweet chocolate from the factory, the national anthem every morning, sound of motors from 1 cylinder to 16 cylinders . I will count every day in 2021 until October to be there again .

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

We showed 4 cars over the last 5 years, all of which were finished right before we loaded them into our trailer. I think I'll pick a fight with wifey just to get the adrenaline flowing.

Just tell her you bought another project car for your retirement.........

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Closest thing to Hershey this month for me is eating a candy bar to ease my pain............of course it will have almonds............since all old car guys are nuts, we should have them in our chocolate bar!

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Rituals are important to human well-being, Hershey fulfills that need for us.  Remove it and we feel bereft.   So, how to replace part of the ritual?   Even in a small way?   Your ideas sought. 

• Like 1

I'll be taking some of this to the Pre-War swap meet at Luray.  I can get an old car swap meet fix, and a taste of PA all at the same time.  And, the weather looks perfect for Luray also.  I'll post photos later, but have already loaded the P/U, packed some clothes, and later today will raid the grocery store for some provisions.

Terry

Beer.jpg

• Like 4

Terry: If you are going to be there Wednesday I hope to see you there!

It would have been great to share some of the Yuengling Hershey's Chocolate Porter with friends at our Hershey tent in the Chocolate Field.

I’m going to miss seeing friends, and miss the chocolate...it feels like the year they were pushing the chocolate bars for the skirmish in the desert...remember the bars that wouldn’t melt, even in your mouth?

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Hans1 said:

I will be in Hershey this year, will keep my 57 year perfect attendance there intact.

Of course I can visit Grand Sons and family 75 miles away.

Well I hope the Classic Motor Mall in Morgantown is open, as I will pass it times.

I will as well, I am going to my oldest son's home,  who lives in Charlottesville VA, He and his wife had their third child this past Thursday, so we will be driving past on Saturday.

The weirdness is insane here, no campers parked around town, no fencing up, no tents being installed.  Yesterday we would have brought all the AACA trailers over to the field and set up the tent for Ken Eberts.  The library would have been jammed with people...miss seeing the regulars who would come in to visit.  However, as I passed our new building which is weeks away from completion there is progress.  Looking forward to seeing those that can make it to Gettysburg as well.  What a year!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Steve, thanks to AACA and all who work for AACA for keeping us all as sane as possible. ( in some cases that will never be and I am not an exception!) If we didn't have these forums to vent our frustrations, happiness, knowledge etc just imagine how it could and would be. Reading here how so many people "live for" ( yes that is an accurate description) Hershey.

Hans1 just stated it beautifully Hershey is THERAPEUTIC. So sad it is not on but so glad that we who are reading this now are doing well and are safe and know that there are so many people who feel exactly the same we do. Can all of us hear the national anthem being played over the loud speakers now? I can. 😥

Edited by Walt G
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I plan to wander around the Luray, Va swap meet tomorrow for a while and hope they have a good turnout. I'd normally be heading up the interstate listening to my Cummins diesel hum along while pulling my 20' enclosed trailer full of goodies to Hershey! I am going to miss the sights (brass era cars putting around), the sounds (the trains rolling thru Hershey at night!), the smells (the food court) but especially the friends! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just said to my wife this morning that we should be packing for HERSHEY, but!!! I suggested we take a drive and just walk around the parking lot's around the Giant Center. Let's hope 2021 is better. This will be the first time we have missed HERSHEY in 52 years, it's part of my life!

• Like 1

The memories will get us through this , especially this week , it makes one so grateful to have so many friends with similar interest, and just think if it weren't for our love of history and "used cars" ( that is exactly what they are) most of us would never know each other for any reason. I for one am closer to my old car friends then to any blood relatives and I know they care about me - this was very evident when I had my open heart surgery in 2017. I have said it before - count your blessings and tell your friends how much they mean to you, give your old car a pat on the fender too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

If you have had a long run of going to Hershey just because you are not going this year does NOT break your streak of X years going!  If the event wasn’t put on you didn’t miss it. You can’t go to something that is not there!  You may miss the fun and enjoyment in your mind but that is different than missing it because you did not go to something that was put on. 
Hopefully 2021 will be better and everyone can take up where they left off in years of attendance 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Does anyone remember the pre-cell phone days when there was a line at the pay phone in the little diner in the corner of the Hummelstown Plaza"?

This year you might not even find a couple rolls of paper towels.

013.thumb.jpg.5a7cee57805c35366ee826eda7bf1298.jpg

012a.thumb.jpg.d76534dfee06cfbcb96d515e0034ac92.jpg

Hope nobody posts any photos of the Sani Cans! 🤪

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, trimacar said:

I’m going to miss seeing friends, and miss the chocolate...it feels like the year they were pushing the chocolate bars for the skirmish in the desert...remember the bars that wouldn’t melt, even in your mouth?

I do, the Desert Bar, 1990 I think.  I bought a box thinking they would amaze my friends back home, Todd C

Tonight, it would be dinner at the Old Canal House, and back forty years ago people like Austin Clark, Bill Harrah, Zimmerman, Tiny Gould, J B Nethercutt, and all the legendary car collectors. Everybody ordered the Delmonico steak. A few highballs or maybe an old fashioned, long before the era of martinis. You could walk the blue field and by every single part for a V-16 Cadillac that you wanted. I would’ve been there pulling my wagon making 25 bucks a day.....50 in the mud. My grandfather, and father are long gone..........mom is still with us at 95. Time rolls on........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

When I was busting my butt the last few years trying to wrap up each phase of my garage as winter was approaching, needing every day,  I almost didn't go to Hershey the last 2 years.  Sure glad I made it to them though. 

This year no phases are being done and I have plenty of time.  Sure would have been nice to have this be the year I was cramming so I would have those extra days I spent at Hershey instead of fighting with the snow as it was rolling in, knowing I wasn't going to be missing the show.

The wife is even bummed.  She feels odd not packing all the stuff up for the week and being treated to eating out every night.  It's the only time of year we eat out so she doesn't have to make dinner.

We used to go to Funcks until last year when we finally switched to Soda Jerks.  For those of you that ate or still eat at Funcks, they have definitely changed the atmosphere and menu over the years.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Hershey always coincides with my birthday,

so ----

does this mean than I'm not really getting older?

Well, Happy Birthday, just means I won’t be able to give you your birthday present, just like I haven’t every other time at Hershey!

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, edinmass said:

You could walk the blue field and by every single part for a V-16 Cadillac that you wanted. I would’ve been there pulling my wagon making 25 bucks a day.....50 in the mud. 

I remember the year of the mud 1976, we were in the Blue field and they added the Red Field behind the nursery, Red Robin it there now. I bought four 20 inch Buffalo wire wheels from a friend in the last row, said I'd be back with a wagon. When I got back to our spaces two kids were on their way by with a wagon to rent so off we went. Trip over was fine, but the way home was 50+ pounds heavier, mud was deeper. Asked the kids what I owed them, must have been 6 & 8 years old, " I don't know" was their reply. Gave them a twenty, wish I hade  photo, it may have been the first twenty they ever saw. I miss the mud at Hershey. Bob 

• Like 1

I was in Pa. last week visiting a friend just North of Allentown. Driving thru the Countryside smelling the fresh cut grass reminded me of Hershey. Very different this year. This would have been my 49th. attending Hershey. Nuff said. John