Your favorite indispensable FREE tool?

Flivverking

I just realized some of my most "indispensable FREE tools" include my computer(s) and digital camera(s). 

My first of both (a Toshiba laptop and a Canon) were gifted to me in around '05/'06 by a friend (a retired IBM computer engineer) who took me to some large electronics store and after he had spent couple of hours going over the technicalities of various offerings with 2-3 store's sales personnel (they might as well could've been speaking Amhara or Urdu and I couldn't have understood less), he said we were done, told me to carry the equipment he'd chosen to cashier, paid for everything and after a great dinner at one of my absolute all-time favorite restaurant (Malaysian cuisine) near where he lived in the S.F. Bay area, we spent the rest of the evening and next day at his house, crash coursing yours truly on basics of "how-to-operate-a-computer-and-digital-camera".

Thanks Roger !!!

They were in use for +/-10 years until my at the time girlfriend/now wife bought me a iMac Pro(?), a Nikon camera and little later my favorite digi-tool, an iPad mini (which has amazing photographic and built-in editing capabilities).

All these combined have allowed me to photo-document most my work since in a tune of tens of thousands of images and files growing almost daily.

And although I use to photo-document all my work more than most with film equipment (always had 2-3 point-&-shoot cameras around the shop in daily use), this digital stuff was revolutionary, especially for a hard-core, old-school curmudgeon like me who dislikes just about everything "Made in Ch**a", which all this stuff now is.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

On 10/5/2020 at 10:00 AM, carbking said:

My most used indispensable tool WAS free.

My Dad's advice: "Son, just good enough is NEVER just good enough!".

And yes, it took awhile for this fact to be properly learned, and appreciated.

Jon.

And I periodically get reminded by some clients and friends that "Better is an enemy of good enough", but been known to ignore it for decades.