Saw this Porsche 928 this morning

keiser31

Yes, I think the general consensus, by the Porsche elite, was that the car was considered a little too heavy. Personally, I loved this design when it first appeared.

Love the 928. In addition to all the other "dream cars I'll never own because I should have bought them when they were cheap" on my list, I have the desire for a late production 928 S4 or GTS. I have an early 928 right now that's a lot of fun to drive. Like a German Corvette. Fast, comfortable, and this one has a 5-speed so it's involving. A lot of reviewers said the automatic was the way to go, but I'm not sure I agree. The shifter isn't the best, but it's hardly a handicap or miserable to use.

79928-1.thumb.jpg.b5643148a65ab958941da4d64c13b9e3.jpg

I just saw a champagne colored one on the freeway the other day.

First one I had seen out and about in a long, long time.

Weren't they first Porsche to have a V8 engine?

1 hour ago, Steve9 said:

I remember the review when this car was new. It said something like this car isn’t anything special UNTIL you’re going at least 90 MPH! Then the magic happens.Still haven’t had the opportunity.

If you have never had the opportunity to drive a PORSCHE on the open road with the pedal to the metal you are missing one of the great driving experiences of a lifetime.  Uncle Sam was nice enough to put me in Germany for a while after I got out of the hospital in 68.  I got stationed about 20 miles north of Stuttgart, four of us were able to rent 2 911’s for a long weekend to go skiing in Garmisch. We got on the autobahn and took off flashing lights in the left lane as we passed everything.  About half way there a green and white 911 with a flashing blue light on top and two of the largest germans dressed in leathers, helmet and jack boots pulled up behind us like we were doing 30.  We moved to the right lane and so did they. We had no idea what we did wrong as there is no speed limit on the autobahn as far as we knew.  We got out as did the cops and as soon as they saw us they knew we were GI’s. In perfect English one said we were speeding! We asked how that was possible and they said we went thru a small construction zone and were suppose to slow down to 80 or 100 klicks. We though we were going to jail (not somewhere you want to be as a GI in Germany, but that’s another story) when he said he would give us a ticket and we could pay it right then. Being from Chicago I thought that was just a fancy way of taking a payoff. But he did write the ticket, we paid and he even gave us a receipt.  We started back toward the cars but I stopped and asked him if I could have the ticket, no luck.  We took off and the cops were just sitting there, again we were going flat out and saw nothing in the rear view. Then they pulled up behind us flashed their lights, we moved over and they were gone. I swear they were laughing as they went buy us.  Great trip, only wish I was able to drive both ways but we had an agreement each of us would drive one way.  I don’t know what the german police do to their Porsche’s but they fly.  Do what ever you can to possibly get to drive one, it is an experience of a lifetime.  Just wish I had that ticket to hang on the wall. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Wondered why Porsche suddenly went front engined (924, 928, 944). Guess am odd, never understood a Porsche with a three speed automagic either (hairdressers ?). But then had a gaggle of Fieros with manual trans (84 was an Iron Duke automagic - did not repeat, prefer GTs.).

Just like the 914 thread, I have loved these cars forever. I am of that age that when Risky Business came out the Porsche stole the show for me (and i could really care less about all of the hype of owning a porsche). I just think these things look cool as $##@$!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steve9 said:

I remember the review when this car was new. It said something like this car isn’t anything special UNTIL you’re going at least 90 MPH! Then the magic happens.Still haven’t had the opportunity.

As a former  1986.5  928 S owner I can vouch for that. It starts about 65 mph that it gets into the right mode.

Edited by Ed Luddy
spelling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

As a kid of the 80s, I also loved the 928 cars.  Iconic in their age, at least to us Generation Xers.

As for Porsches generally, I get it.  The only new car I ever bought was a Porsche Boxster, bought when I was single.  I had to sell it when the kids came, but man, was that a heck of a fun car to have as a daily driver.

On 10/2/2020 at 12:00 AM, nickelroadster said:

Originally the 928 was supposed to take the place of the 911.  Now you can get one pretty cheap.

I guess thats a relative term, I think they bottomed out awhile ago. Every now and then you can find a cheap one, but the nice ones are getting pricey, not 911 pricey but 928 pricey. Kinda like a Delorean, seems like about 15 years ago you could buy those all day long for 10k, but not anymore.

1935 Packard, no offense but I am a 'boomer', lol. (1964)

And they call the fuel distribution on a GM Vortec a spider.

IMG_9737.jpg.6d6e356606c710308e4161a086361827.jpg

The car pictured here was a philosophical turning point for a friend and I. We decided there were so many of these "bargain" specialty cars out there at good prices we would cast fear to the wind. This was 15 years ago. The decision was to buy the clean, good running exotic car at the low price, drive until the $2,000+ repair event happened, and then dump it.

Makings for an excellent adventure!

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure' coming to UK cinemas with 4K restoration