Saw this Porsche 914, daily driver

Steve9

Finally getting some credit from Porsche collectors. From about 1978 to 1984, I drove a triple black 1973 914 with the optional 2.0L engine. It featured sodium filled exhaust valves and I barely knew what that meant! It handled like a grown up go-kart. I sold it, foolishly, for what I thought was a fortune. Today, the car in the same condition would command serious $$$. I always thought it was beautiful with the targa top off, and ugly with it on! I rarely drove it in the ugly mode.

My dad was the Superintendent of schools at our rural Indiana town.  My car genes didn't come from him.  "practical" was the best and most logical thing to look for in a car from dad's point of view.  First year teachers were driving Monte Carlos and Grand Prixs, and Cutlasses.  My dad the Superintendent was driving a Chevette.  You know them, cheapest most awful thing around.  Made the Vega look like a quality car in comparison. When I went off to Wabash College as a freshman, he proudly gave me his 8 year old, 49,000 miles, baby red Chevette as a "good car to have in college".  I headed off to Crawfordsville Indiana, moved into the fraternity house and two weekends later saw a tired but shiny red 1973 Porsche 914 in a used car lot.  I traded the Chevette for it straight up, and didn't tell my dad till I came home for Christmas break in the 914.  

Periodically you read about a parent murdering their child.  In a few rare instances, the parent may be justified.....

I sold the 914 to a stripper in Tucson to help fund my wedding.  Surely there is something profound in that, but not sure exactly what.  Still wish I had that car going through some beautiful fall foliage with the targa top off.  If you haven't driven one, don't knock them.  When set up and running well, they are a blast considering their anemic horsepower.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I can remember a friend having a 914-4 and having trouble getting into a spot in the local Porsche Club.  Seems many of the members did not consider it a Real Porsche.

In England, the were marketed as a "VW-Porsche".

Craig

• Like 1

I have a 1974 914, bought it in 2011 and love it. After buying it I dropped it off at a local independent Porsche Shop in York Pa. The local Porsche community recommended. I gave it to them to do a bumper to bumper inspection and fix anything that they would replace or repair if it was theirs. Generally when I buy a collectable ca r I do this. They gave it back to me 3 months later after rebuilding the engine and doing some other minor fixes. I drive it often lots of fun, drives like a go cart, very comfortable and weighs around 2,000lbs, 80HP VW 4 cylinder gets 37 miles to a gallon, heater doesn't work, no A/C, but when you're going in it nothing matters. 

Only complaint is I can't enter it in AACA Meets because there are mods to the exhaust, and other none correct items such as the newer radio, etc.  

NEW GARDEN 2015 AIR SHOW 029.JPG

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Doug Novak said:

I have a 1974 914, bought it in 2011 and love it.

Nice car. Guy came into where I worked back in 1972 and wanted to sell me his yellow 914-6 for $3000.00. Probably would have been a fun to drive. Now I just wish I could still get in and out of one. 🥺

• Like 1

13 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

I can remember a friend having a 914-4 and having trouble getting into a spot in the local Porsche Club.  Seems many of the members did not consider it a Real Porsche.

Yes, many so called Porsche people don't consider this a Porsche either;

Where it began | Vintage volkswagen, Vintage vw, Ferdinand porsche

Wonder what these two guys would say about that.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm six feet tall and no problem getting in. The seat can be adjusted slightly, but the biggest thing I did to make it easier was to switch to a smaller diameter steering wheel. Still have the larger original tucked away. Also, if the roof is on it lets you put a hand hold on it to help lower you in, but with the roof off it is very easy to just slip in and and with the door swung open getting out to exit is easy to do even with the car being only 4 inches off the ground. 

The 914-6's are worth a lot of money today, if you can find one. The 914-4 is going higher in resale these days, great investments.

I belonged to PCA in Pa. and the Porsche 914 has a great following in PCA. We have a Hershey Porsche only Swap meet each year and a concourse show that the 914 owners gather to show there.  I've met several 911 owns who have, or want a 914 to add to their collections. The President of the PCA in the York Pa. area has a 914 modified for track days. So the Black Sheep Porsche 914 is now highly regarted.

13 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

49 minutes ago, Fossil said:

Nice car. Guy came into where I worked back in 1972 and wanted to sell me his yellow 914-6 for $3000.00. Probably would have been a fun to drive. Now I just wish I could still get in and out of one. 🥺

7 hours ago, 8E45E said:

In England, the were marketed as a "VW-Porsche".

Craig

So what, prey tell, did they call the 356?

Because that was far more VW than a 914.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RansomEli said:

As I recall, the cost of upgrading to a 914-6 wasn't that far off from just purchasing a 911. That's why 914-6s are rare.

914s are to 911 Porsches as Dinos are to "real" Ferraris. It's just a snobbery thing.

Correct on the 911T and the 914-6

Now here is a real rub. the 914 -4 uses the same Engine architecture as the VW Type 4, a engine Porsche developed with VW. Porsche loyalist said this was a VW engine ( not exactly true) and the 914 in their eyes wasn't a Porsche. The 914 replaces the old 912 which had the old 356 engine. In 1976 the 914 is replaced by the one year only new 912 and that ever beautiful 9 series body the new 1976 912 has the Type 4 VW engine. The loyalist tried to call that car a non Porsche too.😉

To me everything the House of Porsche had a hand in is a Porsche.

You could buy this practical classic Porsche – but there is a catch |  Motoring Research

220px-Auto_union_type_d.jpg250px-AutoUnion16Zyl.jpg

VK4501 Tiger(P).jpg

Front

I do like the 914's. But prefer the Karmann Ghia's purely for the body style. There's so few cars available at their price point that are so lightweight and a hoot to drive. Both are slow, yes but if you drive them in the spirit of the intended sports car mode, so much fun!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

I do like the 914's. But prefer the Karmann Ghia's purely for the body style. There's so few cars available at their price point that are so lightweight and a hoot to drive. Both are slow, yes but if you drive them in the spirit of the intended sports car mode, so much fun!

Which Ghia? the one the 914 replaced on the VW side of the business? You see the 914 was built to replace two cars. On the VW side it was made to replace the Type 34 Ghia. On the Porsche side the 912.

Type 34 Ghia;

1968 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Type 34 - Sports Car Market

Porsche 912;

Subaru-Powered 1968 Porsche 912 5-Speed for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for  $36,000 on November 27, 2017 (Lot #7,042) | Bring a Trailer

Personally I think VW should have replaced the Type 34 Ghia with the SP2

1974 Volkswagen SP2 for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-1315545

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

Although the Type 34 is a great car I still prefer the original K-G with the Virgil Exner "D'Elegance" influenced roof and rear haunches.

Commonly referred to as "The World's Slowest Sports Car" back then.

rivnstuf 031.jpg

Yes, and a almost all hand built body that is a monocoque...you can't just unbolt a fender to replace one.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Seems many of the members did not consider it a Real Porsche.

The data plate clearly says Volkswagen! It does not say Porsche.  Here is a replacement plate:

https://www.aasesales.com/collections/porsche-914-badges-crests/products/da7b-b150-1450d-10d-113783

34 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

Yes, and a almost all hand built body that is a monocoque...you can't just unbolt a fender to replace one.

Just like the Corvair! Maybe not the hand built part, until the 1969 models....😉

• Thanks 1

My favorite 914 story was back before we carried phones with us. In the early 80s, I was driving near Mcguire Hospital in Richmond and saw a 914 being towed. The front half was up on the hoist, the back half was parallel with the ground! And the doors were open, with the dome light (on the dashboard) was on, so it  had just happened. I always wondered if the doors came open and it folded while being supported by the hoist of the wrecker.🤔

39 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

The data plate clearly says Volkswagen! It does not say Porsche.  Here is a replacement plate:

https://www.aasesales.com/collections/porsche-914-badges-crests/products/da7b-b150-1450d-10d-113783

Just like the Corvair! Maybe not the hand built part, until the 1969 models....😉

And 56-57 Continental and 55-57 TBird 

40 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

The name Porsche and VW will always be intertwined. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

Not quite, remember I said the 914 replaced the type 34 VW Ghia and the Porsche 912? The above is the replacement 914 6 data plate.

That reproduction is NOT correct.  There was still a 'West' Germany when those cars were in production, and it should say either 'Made in W. Germany', or 'Made in West Germany' on it.

Craig

19 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

That reproduction is NOT correct.  There was still a 'West' Germany when those cars were in production, and it should say either 'Made in W. Germany', or 'Made in West Germany' on it.

Craig

That is a Legal replacement Porsche 914 Six data plate that says made in Germany and replaces a damaged data plate that may say made in West Germany. The issue is 914 Six is called a Porsche. Here is another one that is original to the car;

Alu+plate1425587797.jpg

Right, the 4 banger was Volkswagen on the data plate and the 6 was Porsche. I couldn't find an original data plate picture to post.

On the VW/Porsche debate, many years ago a guy that worked in one of our field offices just happen to own a very well known Porsche restoration shop in So Cal.

He had at least a dozen 356's and he said Porsche snobs would get angry with him all the time when he called the 356 a glorified VW.

Whenever I see a 356 I wonder what ever happened to the vary rare ones he had.  It's been at least 10 years, maybe longer, since he passed away after selling his business and retiring to Arizona probably 10 years before that.

Amazingly, a quick search turned up a page in the 356 registry where someone is dedicating their restoration to Mr. Rusty Bottoms, himself.

https://porsche356registry.org/cars/102

• Like 1