The Stripping of Wood Spoke Wheels Prior to Restoration

leomara

I had a previous post regarding this topic and I've read almost all the other posts on this topic.  Some questions come to mind.  My wheels are painted and appear to be sound, no loose spokes or visible damage.  I don't want to disassemble the wheels if it is not necessary.  Starting with stripping the spokes, paint stripper is recommended but I did see one video where a guy used a heat gun to soften up the paint which was then just scrapped off.  Soda blasting also has been suggested as a way to clean the wooden spokes without doing them harm.  After the spokes have been cleaned I want to have the metal hub, drum face and rim sandblasted.  In order to protect the wood spokes from the abrasion what type of "duck" tape can be used to mask the spokes?  After all is clean should the metal part of the wheel be painted first or should the spokes be varnished?  My thought would be to keep the spokes masked and paint the wheels first and varnish the spokes last.  Past experiences are the best instructor.        

2 hours ago, leomara said:

I had a previous post regarding this topic and I've read almost all the other posts on this topic.  Some questions come to mind.  My wheels are painted and appear to be sound, no loose spokes or visible damage.  I don't want to disassemble the wheels if it is not necessary.  Starting with stripping the spokes, paint stripper is recommended but I did see one video where a guy used a heat gun to soften up the paint which was then just scrapped off.  Soda blasting also has been suggested as a way to clean the wooden spokes without doing them harm.  After the spokes have been cleaned I want to have the metal hub, drum face and rim sandblasted.  In order to protect the wood spokes from the abrasion what type of "duck" tape can be used to mask the spokes?  After all is clean should the metal part of the wheel be painted first or should the spokes be varnished?  My thought would be to keep the spokes masked and paint the wheels first and varnish the spokes last.  Past experiences are the best instructor.        

Sign companies use a rubberized tape when sandblasting signs to different levels. A regular sandblasting place may have that rubberized/protective tape.

• 4 months later...