Strengthening a cloth headliner.

I have a 1948 cloth headline that is not torn. (yet). I would like to know if there is a spray that will strengthen and possibly color a headliner to resist deterioration.

On My 55 Chrysler, I sprayed on a vinyl paint, dryly, that stiffened up the fabric and added some color to it but it doesn't  look that good. I am hoping to do a better job on my next car.

I have heard of fabric stiffeners that are used in the arts and crafts to make permanent creased and folds in cloth. I am wondering if that has been used for this purpose"?

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)

Never heard off such a thing being done .but maybe a spray starch would? 

Original cloth headliners get pretty ripe. Don't  even try to vacuum it..

Just don't touch it!  And use a light feather duster is about all you can do.

Someday a passenger will poke a hole in it..if not you.😨

I did a little Googling on spraying fabrics and came up with this. 

I think that I will try it and a vinyl paint on an old headliner.

Krylon® can be used on fabric or clothing. In fact, Krylon spray paint is a unique opportunity for you to become your own personal fashion and interior designer by providing you with a fun, easy and affordable way to update your wardrobe and home fabrics.

In fact, Krylon can easily be applied to the following home fabrics and fashion accessories:

• Jeans
  • Jackets
  • T-shirts
  • Hats
  • Tennis Shoes
  • Bracelets
  • Earrings
  • Belts
  • Lampshade
  • Table Linens

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)

Gorilla Glue is available in a spray can. I would really give it a try. When I bought my ;64 Riviera it was 15 years old and the rear package tray was in good shape. Joe Galina, if anyone remembers him, warned me about how they deteriorate. On his advice I coated the fibrous backing material with shellac, letting it soak in thoroughly. It still looks good today.

Today I would just replace the headliner if it was mine. You never realize how ratty some of those little things can be until you put the new one in. Have you ever noticed how much old car upholstery on a hot, humid day smells like a China Buffet?

3 hours ago, jpage said:

I would think that doping or painting would make the fabric stiff. probably the best option is to replace the headliner if it's that bad.

I looked up doping and is stated that it stretched the fabric when it drys, so that may not be the best thing for a fragile fabric.

4 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Gorilla Glue is available in a spray can. I would really give it a try. When I bought my ;64 Riviera it was 15 years old and the rear package tray was in good shape. Joe Galina, if anyone remembers him, warned me about how they deteriorate. On his advice I coated the fibrous backing material with shellac, letting it soak in thoroughly. It still looks good today.

Today I would just replace the headliner if it was mine. You never realize how ratty some of those little things can be until you put the new one in. Have you ever noticed how much old car upholstery on a hot, humid day smells like a China Buffet?

I am trying to keep it original as it looks good now, but may fail if touched.