It's mice season. Set your traps

After we moved into our new house, we found mice had gotten into the HVAC vents when it was being built.  I've heard mice can get into any opening their skull can go through - I believe it as I saw one go between the slats of a 4x10 register like this:

Z15GDxfo5oy.JPG

Anyway, I was going to d-CON them but my wife was afraid they'd die and stink up the place.  So I put Victors in the vents and tied them to the registers so the mice couldn't drag them off.  I'd catch a couple every day but wasn't making much of a dent in the population.  I finally got tired of running my trapline and told the wife it was either the d-CON or I'd put a couple snakes down there - she opted for the d-CON.  🤣  Never saw, heard or smelled another mouse.

As for cars, I put a box of d-CON under each one and small cottage cheese tubs of moth balls in the interior, trunk and engine compartment.  Never had mouse trouble - course we also had a feral cat (more like a mini-panther) that lived in the woods behind the house.  😉

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)
  • Like 1

D-con is effective but if you're worried they'll stink up the place use Ramik Green pellets. It dehydrates them so they become little mouse mummies and don't smell. Most farm supply stores have it and some claim it works on squirrels too. And I know the little @#$%^&! like it, because they broke into an unopened bag and helped themselves. I couldn't smell it thru the plastic bag, but they could.

God in his wisdom had a reason for every critter he put on earth, but why venomous snakes, stinging insects, mosquitos, ticks, and sharks? Add meeces to that list.🙄 I mean, honestly, what good is a rodent? What do they do besides mess up your stuff?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

D-con is effective but if you're worried they'll stink up the place use Ramik Green pellets. It dehydrates them so they become little mouse mummies and don't smell. Most farm supply stores have it and some claim it works on squirrels too. And I know the little @#$%^&! like it, because they broke into an unopened bag and helped themselves. I couldn't smell it thru the plastic bag, but they could.

God in his wisdom had a reason for every critter he put on earth, but why venomous snakes, stinging insects, mosquitos, ticks, and sharks? Add meeces to that list.🙄 I mean, honestly, what good is a rodent? What do they do besides mess up your stuff?

Part of the food chain....... I hear ya with the venomous snakes (or any snake for that matter) stinging insects and alike, but there is nothing like catching a shark on a Montauk Charter Boat, at least they provide some entertainment. 

Add Madagascar too Padgett. There and Oz have some truly bizarre critters found nowhere else.

A platypus is proof the Creators had a sense of humor. Imagine being the first Englishman to see one. I laugh at every Lunchables commercial I see. A platypus and a jackalope.

But I'm glad we don't have such here. Druther have the meeces.

15 minutes ago, Pomeroy41144 said:

Killed five already since August. 

In the year 2018, I killed over two dozen mice in the garage/carriage house where I store my car and engines.  I really decimated the local population.  Did not have another mice show up for many many months.  

I got another one last night. Snap trap with peanut butter bait. After the initial frost provoked invasion they do tend to slacken off.......Bob

Your topic was an excellent reminder for me,

Bhigdog Bob.  I went out and bought some 

mouse traps the other day.

The only time I saw a mouse in my garage was

a year ago.  Then, I saw a blacksnake in there

waiting for a meal.  That's the only time I found

a blacksnake in my garage!  The snake clearly

had come in for a snack.

• Thanks 1

Trying a new approach this year. I bought a very high power sonic pest repellent box, plugs in. I tried smaller/cheaper versions of these years ago with limited success. This one got good reviews and has 3 levels of power settings, the highest is suppose to be annoying to humans but old ears have a few advantages, so I have it set on high. I still have all my normal traps out so we will see, I usually catch a dozen or so every year. It has been on high for a couple of months now and the traps have been empty so far.

The ironic part is that this spring as i was bringing firewood from  the fields to near the house i uncovered two mouse nests with suckling mouse pups. I recovered the nests to protect the pups from the elements. Hopefully good karma will protect my cars upholstery.......bob

• Like 1

Pomeroy, you remind me of a co-worker who was overrun with groundhogs😃. He'd sit on his back porch with a .223 and pick them off in the field. One year he got 27. To my gratitude and delight, I haven't seen a groundhog around my place in a couple years though I do see them standing up on the roadsides every so often, and wish I had the rifle in the truck.

Bhigdog, you're a much kinder man than I am. I don't think mice understand karma. They think with their bellies.

29 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Bhigdog, you're a much kinder man than I am. I don't think mice understand karma. They think with their bellies.

In it's common meaning karma is accepted to mean that any act of kindness or good accrues, in the long term, to the benefit of the actor. So while a litter of blind suckling mice pups don't understand the concept I saw no reason to destroy them. If they at some point threaten me then there is just cause. Until then I wish them no harm....................Bob

• Like 4

I have sealed up my garage the same way. It works. Don't let the vehicle sit outside and then drive in with a stowaway or two. BTW, if you use a sticky trap and find a innocent victim entraped, mineral oil will dissolve the adhesive very quickly and without trauma. Save the lizards! (I'd use a modified version of a phrase heard on the news these days, ad nauseam, but that wouldn't be politically correct.)

I have enough lizards that the sticky trap isn't going to make much of a dent in the population. I have Goodyear lizards (blue and gold striped) and some scaly brown ones. Past few weeks I've seen newly hatched ones around. Barely 3 inches long and the most ridiculous-looking critters ever. I get a good laugh over them.

I have an old well house out back and they like it. One of the brown ones sits on the cover and basks. Named him Mr Wizard the Lizard, for those of you who remember Tooter Turtle on King Leonardo cartoons. Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drone...🦎

No lizards but lotsa chameleons and spiders. Rather have spiders than skeeters. And then there is the grounds crew.

boids.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 10/6/2020 at 12:36 AM, Doozer said:

Wow 🤩 how great for you, congrats. Vermin go bye bye. 55 gal drums of dog treats sold separately 🤣🤣  The season of the Witch!

On 10/5/2020 at 8:29 PM, Ben P. said:

Traps? Don’t need ‘em.

Or won’t rather...  Once he reaches full size - 10 or 11 pounds. Not saying what he is yet, but this guys, is the most serious ratter ever bred. He’ll also be my full time co-pilot.

Meet Teddy. Not too photogenic yet, his eyes opened for the first time the morning of this picture.

He was born on September 11th and I’ll have more pictures around November 20th. (That is actually a clue as to breed.)

But I doubt anyone can guess.

A real killer. Pure killer. Have been told the entire yard will need to be deeply fenced to keep larger critters away from him because he’ll be incapable of backing down.

D79A36D1-C496-4938-B0AC-83942AAFA346.jpeg

Allright, I forget what I write in which thread so I forgot to update -

This little 10 week old Norwich Terrier is home with me now and his name is Rex - which is ‘Teddy’ in a way. When my sister was just starting to talk our great uncle Rex gave her a Teddy bear (the cutest Teddy bear I’ve ever seen and to this day I haven’t seen a cuter one - and I’ve looked) and she immediately named him Rex Bear. He was her favorite Teddy and still has him today (she’s a grandmother now).

When this little Terrier was first lined up for me, and especially as he grew and looked more and more like Rex Bear I almost had to name him Teddy because Rex seemed verboten. Somehow it didn’t feel right to steal her Teddy’s name and I wouldn’t’ve ever even asked so I settled on the name Teddy. By sheer coincidence, the day I picked him up my sister was recovering sick in the hospital. When I texted her a picture of him she texted right back, “Do you remember my Teddy bear Rex? He looks just like him!”

So with that nod is name is Rex.

Brought him home 5 days ago, a 14 and 1/2 car ride which I was worried about. Needlessly. Not only did he travel superbly - the little routine he and I developed on that journey really set us up for all the rest of his training.

He’s only 5 pounds so he has to eat 3 times a day. He’s also got a bladder the size of an acorn cap so he can only hold it for 40 minutes to an hour tops. So we made LOTS of stops. He did spend most of the trip sleeping in my lap but he was never put directly into the car. He went into his pet traveling case first then into the car.

We’d stop, he’d wake up, pee, eat, then play vigorously for about 10 minutes. Then we’d take another walk on the leash to see if he needed to pee again.

That little routine we’ve merely expanded upon at home. He has not pooped in the house - though sometimes Dad is too groggy to dress quickly enough in the morning so he has gone through a lot of carpet cleaner....

I had watched a lot of ‘puppy’s first time at the new house’ YouTube videos where the little guys are let out of the pet traveling case and they timidly creep and peek around. Another needless worry!

When we arrived home after the 14 1/2 hr. drive I put his leash on to let him pee. When he was done he immediately ran over to a bank of Maple saplings and began tumbling around in the fallen leaves. It was pitch dark out and I could only hear and not see him. I thought he was scared and freaking out. Put him back into the carrying case and brought him into the house. As soon as I unzipped it Rex came hopping out - ran circles around me once or twice - then hopped over to the first unlit room he saw - poked his head through the doorway and let out the loudest most playful bark I’ve heard out of a puppy in all my life — he wanted to play.

He’s been playing ever since. Very smart - which I was told makes them difficult to train. Needless worry again. 10 weeks old, by the 2nd day with me at home he would respond to his name, he would come to his name (which, by the way, everyone told me NOT to pick a one syllable name because he would confuse it with commands — phony baloney), would sit and bark on command.
He’s been a breeze.

I talk too much so I’ll end this with pictures, but there is one cautionary tale I’d give to anyone because I’ve not seen it mentioned in the news: We’ve been on COVID restrictions for most of the year, but when we got home from picking him up we returned to a Michigan with new COVID restrictions. The vet appointment I had made for his 1st 24 hours home had been cancelled. NO vet would accept ‘new patients’ or any ‘non emergency’ visit. In my mind unvaccinated puppies ARE (or will become) a mass emergency. The clinics I called all agreed but it is what it is. Worse, they cautioned me that they were already at a bottleneck from the previous lockdown before this one hit. There isn’t anyone taking appointments before January.

I was able to get a December appointment through a family connection but that is weeks away.

Now is not the time for anyone to get a new puppy. If you have one on the way call your vet and confirm that you can still bring it in within its 1st 24 hours home.

Pictures:

(He’s just 10 weeks old and something to do with cartilage development his ears are up on some days and down on others - but one day they will stay up.

His cousins adore him and are very gentle.)

7BFAB926-EA22-464C-834E-96AF231A89C4.thumb.jpeg.279853c5a0be73e0e0fe468f68ed3c6f.jpeg
B77D0EB1-8D66-4EBE-ADCD-2F886D0F8801.thumb.jpeg.06bf30a9ab84eccf1c92f5db21add8bd.jpegE243FFC5-8837-4CA0-9776-AAC81A4F8D79.thumb.jpeg.e0987da33a6d9eb5930e8e796fac5a6c.jpegF9F2D3BE-A0AD-4D0E-A665-D1F186ED3FC5.thumb.jpeg.528e0b5b0efda28adfbc9f8ab5e87925.jpeg

• Like 5

On 10/13/2020 at 8:00 PM, Jim Bollman said:

Trying a new approach this year. I bought a very high power sonic pest repellent box, plugs in. I tried smaller/cheaper versions of these years ago with limited success. This one got good reviews and has 3 levels of power settings, the highest is suppose to be annoying to humans but old ears have a few advantages, so I have it set on high. I still have all my normal traps out so we will see, I usually catch a dozen or so every year. It has been on high for a couple of months now and the traps have been empty so far.

Jim,

Tell us the manufacturer of the sonic pest repellent you are using.

Thanks!

Now I know how the meeces made off with my snap trap!😃

I finally found the squirrel trap that disappeared a few months back. Somehow, whatever swiped it dragged it close to 100 yards into the woods across the county road. Spied it after leaves had dropped and sun glinted off it. Course getting it back was another matter. Had to whack thru a thicket of smilax vines. That mess is worse than kudzu and has thorns to boot.

• 3 weeks later...

You can’t make this stuff up...

30 years ago Red Squirrels moved to this area and the Fox Squirrels and Chipmunks vanished (because there’re MEAN). So 15 years ago the nasty Red Squirrels moved on and the Chipmunks came back. I was thrilled at first but then they became pests. They were cute burrowing under the Magnolia tree by the house but when they started burrowing under the asphalt driveway I tried to drive them away without killing them (don’t ask how - nothing worked anyway). 
Well, the day Rex came home one month ago they simply vanished. I did and didn’t notice that but winter struck and so I figured they went into mild hibernation (they have no body fat so they do not and can not truly hibernate — I see them come out to eat in the below 0 Fahrenheit February weeks.

Nope. Have been out to my parent’s place 10 miles away and the Chipmunks are all over out there. The _____rs vanished when the Terrier showed up. They’re gone.

C07D6563-C94B-4D48-A441-696931D4F0C0.thumb.jpeg.31b4ded38256538ef37f707600b90608.jpeg
(⬆️ Not a great picture but it’s funny to me. That is the Magnolia tree Chipmunks made 15 or so burrows under. That’s actually Rex’s bewildered look because in that tree are 20 or so little birds scolding him. That happens 3-4 times a week and he still doesn’t know what to make of it.

Also, his ears went up! Never doubted that they would, puppies... Cartilage development... Some days they’d be up, others down, but the left ear always drooped. His breeder actually taped a stint in it for a while and last week he had a vet appointment and I considered asking him to place a stint back in that ear. That night both ears went up and have been up ever since.)

So the snow... He’s not afraid of anything yet, not even squealing coyotes chasing something down (which scares the H out of old Dad) but he wasn’t so sure about this snow stuff the first time he saw it⬇️
881E8680-1FB0-409E-9F1C-8779D69915FF.thumb.jpeg.43dee40c8595a50daa6a7fd07c5792b9.jpeg

His cousins had to coax him⬇️
BF37C6ED-6A83-4650-95EB-BF9BB92B7FDE.thumb.jpeg.5e1e80c1887ca56e2eb3200de3cc7811.jpeg

He loves the stuff now but Dad is seriously considering wintering in Florida — like NEXT WEEK.

Edited by Ben P. (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1