1928 Chrysler Model 72 Delco Remy Dual Point Distributor

leomara

There are two different point sets for the Chrysler (Delco Remy) dual point distributor from the "Standard" manufacturer.  DR 1821 and DR 1823.  Please explain why the two different point sets are required and also what are equivalent ignition parts (points/condenser/rotor) from other manufacturers?    

The car has dual points and you need two different breakers. Check Brillman for modern replacement including the ever important condenser. Brillman unfortunately does not carry the correct distributor lid with wires exiting on the side, but your car will run well with their stuff.

Edited by Narve N
misspelling (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

There are definetly two different point sets for the Chrysler distributors of that vintage.   The reason being, there is a left hand and right hand set, but more importantly, there is a low point and a high point base.  DR 121 is the "low point"  DR 123 is the "high point"

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, leomara said:

I've looked on this site for servicing the dual point distributor and how to set it up in my car with no results.  Perhaps I'm not asking for the right thing.  Sources?

By this site you mean the AACA Chrysler Forum that also this topic is on? I anyhow believe setting up is straightforward with likely the same gap on both breakers, but can check a Series 75 Owners Manual tomorrow for confirmation of the procedure.

On 9/28/2020 at 3:56 PM, leomara said:

There are two different point sets for the Chrysler (Delco Remy) dual point distributor

I assume you either have a Delco-Remy 659-B or 656-N distributor. These are so called high speed distributors that run two sets of points on a three lobe cam on a single ignition coil. This means the point sets need to be synchronized because they are connected in parallel (in other words both point sets need to be open to initiate a spark) AND they are alternating (the actual reason why the sets need to be synchronized against each other). 
Your particular distributor does not use a LH and a RH point set. It is using two LH or RH sets (whatever way you look at it). But as Old Buicks 2 stated above, one is an „upper“ and the other one is a „lower“ set. One set is firmly in place. All you need to do on it is setting the point gap. The other set sits higher on a shifting plate for synchronization. Set the point gap on both sets and synchronize them by shifting the plate (you will need special equipment to do so properly).

However, the contact arms on both sets are the same and are used on a large number of distributors. Only the contact points are different. Not many people are aware that there are around 25 different contact points of this type: There are LH and RH contact points with „high“ or „low“ contacts on „narrow“ or „wide“ contact tongues. There are points with „regular“ or „large“ (HD) contacts and some are made of thicker plate material. Then there are early type points, which had been superseded by slotted type points around 1934. Some of the points had been used on a wide variety of distributors and are easy to find but some points were unique and are rather hard to find. 

6029882B-6BC8-4BA4-92EA-7100EFE1F551.jpeg

Edited by Peter R. (see edit history)

The upper contact point on your distributor is Delco-Remy 820598. it ist stamped 98 for identification.

820598 had been superseded by 1849877. Both points are identical except that 1849877 is slotted and slightly squeezed to eliminate play while adjusting. BOTH points are stamped 98.

BFAA7D05-202B-498E-836A-A68D1A4C17C9.jpeg

58D5C01B-A5E3-4138-8A33-FD6F320126DE.jpeg

It‘s almost impossible to distinguish these points from pictures in the parts books and most aftermarket points manufacturers made „one fits many“ contact points. So it‘s not always easy to really be certain everything is a 100% original. Important is the contact height so the contacts match and the sets fit properly.

Lots of points sold today are “fits every car” from the 30’s. They won’t set up correctly, and it’s almost impossible to get them synchronized without using a distributor tester. I would guess 80 percent of the distributors I have sent to me are off much more than one would expect.

Hi, was not able to obtain a NOS set of Delco Remy points, however I did get a NOS set of the Standard Blue Streak #DR-1821 & DR-1823 and I'm hoping they will do.  Regarding the Delco Remy synchronizing tool #820751, tough item to find, have not seen one yet... 

19 hours ago, leomara said:

Regarding the Delco Remy synchronizing tool #820751, tough item to find, have not seen one yet... 

I haven‘t seen one either. I‘m using a professional distributor tester with stroboscope or an Allen Synchronizer to synchronize point sets.

D5C67780-F079-4E68-BA2C-585C7098179D.jpeg

5F940994-FD1A-44D8-8567-AABEA5762FA7.jpeg

Thank you Peter R.  Your wiring chart and all the others I've seen do not match my ignition switch but it is the closest.  My switch and I believe it to be original has 2 threaded terminals and one armored cable which I've been told went to the distributor as is shown on your chart.  The line to the ammeter and gasoline gauges could have been shared on one terminal and of course the other would go to the coil.  Some other charts I've seen sent the armored cable to the distributor.  It's all quite confusing.  What does P 18, Sec AA say about the ignition switch?

Since you said my diagram does not match your switch I just wanted to make sure that your car really is a 1928 Chrysler 72 because different lock ignition switches were used later on.

But your car definitely is a 1928 Chrysler 72 (introduced in June 1927, engine numbers J192950 to J242900).
The 1929 Chrysler 75 was introduced in June 1928. I assume the switch on your 72 is wrong. You‘re probably using a 1929 switch on a 1928 model car

Here are the 1928 switches. Yours is supposed to be Type B.

A12E59CC-FFB9-40CB-ADD4-CEC633A9DFBB.jpeg

BF6EF7B6-6679-4CC8-876E-A422960C0BC9.jpeg

6FCC665E-CCF0-45B0-A69D-A0810B97B9E3.jpeg

CE43C8F1-60ED-4308-9C1C-6C6A80496741.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi Peter R. thank you so much for all this valuable information.  I've sent you 2 photos of my sorry switch with the cutoff cable.  There are also 3 photos of another switch I was able to obtain.  It was advertised as going to a 1936 Plymouth, however the switch is exactly the same as mine, the cable is in tact but it appears to be the type that goes to the coil, definitely not the distributor.  I don't know at this point what I intend to do.  I'm just interested in functionality, I don't have a complete cable with the correct receptacle at the distributor end.  I may just opt to replace the switch with  generic universal type and just run a wire to the distributor disguised in some type of phony armored cable.  All the Model 72 car engines I've seen pictured on the internet have varying types of cables being used, none appear to be original probably because it is a hard original item to find and service.  That synchronizing tool 820751 is another impossibility of finding.

100_3568.JPG

100_3569.JPG

100_3590.JPG

100_3591.JPG

100_3592.JPG

Looks like you were able to decipher the mystery then….

That‘s what I would do to, using some kind of standard switch and rewire.

I have a bunch of distributors on which the Electrolock Switch is still attached but most are Auto-Lite and North-East and the key or switch is missing on most of them.

Unfortunately none of my late 20’s Chrysler distributors came with a lock. So I can‘t help with a Type B.

1A951978-0FBB-4A4D-8837-D84B28A5A61C.jpeg

I really don‘t know. Delco-Remy was a Division of GM. Chrysler dropped Delco-Remy in 1934 started using Auto-Lite equipment. Around 1930 the choice was either Delco-Remy, Auto-Lite or North-East. NE was a small company compared to DR and AL. NE was the house brand of the Dodge Bros. When Chrysler purchased Dodge Bros. in 1928 they were not willing to take over NE. So NE was taken over by GM around 1930 and dropped the brand in 1934. So in 1935 the choice was DR or AL. AL went up in Ford in the early 60‘s and was no longer independent from that point. In the mid 20‘s American Bosch and DéJon went up in AL. I don‘t know what happened to Connecticut and Wagner but obviously they disappeared from the scene in the 20‘s. Delco and Remy went up in GM in the 10‘s and were formed to Delco~Remy of GM on January 1st 1927.

2 hours ago, leomara said:

Do you have any idea why Chrysler used a Shaler ignition switch when the distributor was Delco Remy?

Chrysler was a very innovative car manufacturer. I would assume that Delco-Remy did not yet provide Electrolock Distributor Switches in 1927. Maybe a Chrysler invention?