If you have a store on Ebay

vermontboy

I don't understand it completely, but then again It's hard to truly understand ebay changes that almost always seem to have a negative effect.   I know some recent changes have made selling on there a real pain and added about 30 minutes to my shipping every day since they dropped media mail without telling any of their sellers.  I finally started using pay pal shipping because it interfaces with ebay,  but now that's going to get axed any day as they force me,  kicking and screaming to managed payments as not all customers will pay with pay pal now like before.   Not sure where to go for shipping now.  Any suggestions? 

Also reminds me it might be time to cancel my store which has only had about 10 parts in it,  with no sale in almost a year.  I only kept it because it's suppose to give me a discount on my regular auction listings.  Stores are a pain unless you are selling hot merchandise as stuff lays around for years with no sale,  then you finally sell it and have to find it.  Part fo the reason I let most my listings expire.  Since I started a store,  I have sold my house and my shop and relocated everything to my new house and shop. Even trying to keep it all organized stuff still came up missing I listed 10 years earlier or took so long to find it wasn't worth the $10 it sold for.

• Like 1

I have an eBay Store, because I'm under the impression I'm saving on listing fees. The entire eBay "Seller Hub" page with a ton of charts & graphs is way over my head and of no value to me. I have no need to know the percentage of anything, but eBay lives for percentage evaluations on everything. Did I sell more items than the month before, did I make or loose dollars? I think eBay is set up for on line Home Depot, MAJOR parts suppliers, and drop shipping ventures, little guys with leftover parts , tag sale finds and yes town dump treasures are not part of the eBay picture. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45
correction (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

I've always looked at that new selling page and wondered does anyone use all that crap.  I get a big notice,  sales are down 40% this month in big red numbers.  No shit Sherlock.  My bank account and thin wallet were a pretty darn good clue. 

As you said seems to be set up for someone that doesn't really touch the merchandise themselves.  I wish there was a way to save a few bucks and get rid of all the extra info I don't need. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The extra info asked in a listing is a joke. Listing a 1950's era block of UNUSED stamps asked for what grading they have, who does the grading, were am I going to find a certified stamp grading person? It's a 1-2 dollar item , click "Does not apply". I'm in the "Managed Payment" program, and it is working well BUT it takes a WEEK to have access to the funds from stuff I sold SEVEN DAYS AGO. PayPal could do it in MINUTES. Finally worked myself out of "below standard" seller back to POWER SELLER! That does have a huge effect on things since my stuff is now back on top of  the pile of listings when someone does a search. Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

As I’ve mentioned before, I’ve been buying and selling on eBay over 10 years and counting, but must be doing something differently (or wrong ?) since I don’t or haven’t experienced any issues or problems worth worrying, let alone constantly gripe about.

Only annoyance I’ve encountered is when some sellers hold back their feedback as ransom and expect buyers issue theirs first, which only exposes said sellers lack of morals and confidence in their own listing being accurate and/or honest.

Expectations on buyers “responsibility” ends the moment they provide payment and therefor seller should issue feedback promptly after that and if they’ve been honest with their listing details and presentation, should be able to live with the consequences, whatever they may be.

If I see any previous evidence of such tactics on listing seller, I simply won’t buy anything from them.

And if they resort to same tactics with me, I either refuse to give them feedback at all or I issue one reflecting my disapproval of their methods.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

We've gone round and round about this.  Seems only one person here loves everything about ebay all the time and has no problem being charged more for less service year after year with increasing fees and more complicated pages to work with.  Not to mention all the changes that require you to learn a new way to do your job,  for what apparently seem to be no other reason than to make things "fresh".

I can personally verify that if you ship media mail and list in any category besides literature which I pay extra to do, ebay just eliminated my ability to buy media mail postage from them,  so after screwing around for a few hours I finally ended up printing labels on pay pal because we are required to upload tracking.  Still can't format a pay pal label to my precut 4x6 labels ,  so I have to print them out on a whole page and cut each one out.  Now after being fortunately stuck in limbo with managed payments not verified,  they are officially booting me on to it in the next couple of days, so the payments won't be coming from pay pal and I won't be able to print labels from there so I have to find a new source that interfaces with ebay for labels.  Yeah so you might say it's not all rosy for this seller like you.  How many sales a year again are you doing and is it your only source of income?

If the eBay format is so horrible as few here claim, how come millions of people continue to buy and sell on it daily ?

Or do they have some kind of proverbial gun against the heads of them all, forcing them to continue ?

And no, I'm not in love with it nor do I use it as my "only source of income".

For me, it's merely another platform to buy/sell, mostly items related to my business of automotive restoration.

Actually, if eBay or entire interweb went out of business and/or was permanently closed tonight, I wouldn't worry over it the slightest.

• Like 1

I'm in the dark ages and self address everything, stand in line at the post office as well. Guess there is a savings printing prepaid postage stickers, but that requires a printer. All sales are complete when the buyer is happy and posts Feedback, followed by my feedback to him/her. All in all it has been a good week, it would be perfect if eBay could equal the speed that PayPal had, funds I could access in a matter of minutes after the buyer paid. Bob 

5 hours ago, TTR said:

let alone constantly gripe about.

You complain constantly yourself, about people you feel are complaining, but they are simply posting their experiences and their opinions.  You come off as the full blown narcissist who feels he is the only one whose opinion is correct or matters, or thinks his opinion only should be allowed. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We have been long time users of ebay (mostly purchases) with excellent results. The few times a problem has arisen they have been rectified in a professional and timely manner. If your having a lot of problems with ebay maybe your doing something wrong. 

And I'm in no way involved with the site other than to use their services. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TTR said:

If the eBay format is so horrible as few here claim, how come millions of people continue to buy and sell on it daily ?

Or do they have some kind of proverbial gun against the heads of them all, forcing them to continue ?

Because they have the market cornered.  I kind of thought that was an obvious conclusion.  Do you know of another site with the same exposure to auction (I don't do buy it nows) car literature on?

Hard to compare ocassional sales experience to those of people that sell daily on there and use it as their primary source of income.  

I just had an order of $2500 in shipping supplies delivered on 3 pallets the other day and moved it into what is becoming my warehouse with my forklift.  So yeah I'm pretty serious about selling on there.  But then again,  I take everything I do in life serious and try to make everything come off professional.  No sense in doing it if you aren't going to do it right. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, F&J said:

You complain constantly yourself, about people you feel are complaining, but they are simply posting their experiences and their opinions.  You come off as the full blown narcissist who feels he is the only one whose opinion is correct or matters, or thinks his opinion only should be allowed. 

Perhaps some can perceive me like that or perhaps my complaining is just a reflection of my (correct or not) opinion on keeping discussions/topics focused on cars and things more directly related to them (I thought this was a car forum after all), rather than difficulties some interweb based selling platforms present to few, but apparently not for millions of others.

Either way, at least I try to refrain from direct personal attacks on individual member, no matter how I may perceive or think of their character.

At times I just try to offer different perspectives on various subjects, but if someone views them as narcissistic, oh well.

And other than contacting eBay directly with these concerns (which I might've already suggested before), I don't know if there's another, perhaps more effective forum dedicated to airing ones grievances with these difficulties, since doing it here doesn't seem to have much, if any effect ?

And if I did, I'd be glad to offer it as an alternative. 

Well, I'll try my best not to complain as much in the future and hope others can find happiness with all their endeavors, sales and shippings !

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, TTR said:

And other than contacting eBay directly with these concerns (which I might've already suggested before), I don't know if there's another, perhaps more effective forum dedicated to airing ones grievances with these difficulties, since doing it here doesn't seem to have much, if any effect ?

We have contacted ebay directly.  They are the ones that told me though media mail is shown on the page I can't highlight because they are no longer offering it.   I also wrote them every day when they switched to the new seller hub for a week.  They could care less.

Also good or bad,  ebay plays a strong role in the ability to buy and sell old car parts as it has the biggest audience.  So we try dispersing these items to people that need or want them , or we can just recycle them all.  If you can't see how much of a role ebay plays in the old car hobby you aren't looking very hard.  With that said I can't think of a more appropriate place for old car guys to discuss what is most likely one of the only sources for many parts,  especially with all the recent cancellations of swap meets, which is the original go to place to find parts.  Much of that stuff moved on line. 

I can't imagine trying to sell literature at a Swap meet/Flea market. eBay is the place for that. I bought out a life time collection of books, and it is an easy thing to list, wrap, and mail. Most of the stuff is unknown to me, but a search turns up others and you get a feel for the price you  place on the book, Auction or Buy it Now, depends on the book. Fun times, try to list 10-12 per night. Bob 

• Like 1

I run about 30 a night but have a pretty good system so I can be done photos and listing in about an hour and 1/2.   Everything is auction and starts cheap (no pricing research) so I get bidders or atleast get rid of it,  to replace it with fresh inventory.  So far the average has been on my side,  but I'm learning every day what not to buy again. 

• Like 1