Nice Service Station resurrected

trimacar

I've often dreamed of owning a defunct but restored station like that. There was one I used to see frequently several years ago that even had a couple of repair bays, I think. It was close to where my kids used to take  piano lessons, so I drove by there once a week...admiring wistfully as I went by. 😊

That looks right according to the satellite view. 

It's been a few years since I was in the town of White Post, but drive past on Rt 50 about twice a year. I shall make a point of going through next year.

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)

Here's another one, located in Umatilla, Florida and built in 1926.  That's my 1968 Chevelle in for service.  Actually, this gas station has not pumped gasoline in quite some time, but has recently (the past 10 years or so) been an ice cream parlor, a nail salon, offices for an HVAC company, but now vacant.  I've tried to buy it, but, so far, it's not for sale.

image.thumb.jpeg.7a1f9d301de340bcb76fcea4c54dff0a.jpeg

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

Yes, White Post, Virginia.  The Thompsons say if you want to come by the shop and pay for it, you’re welcome to try to fill up your car there!  Try being the key word, of course....

For those who may not know, the story is that, when George Washington was surveying the area way back when, he place a white post at this spot.  Using that as the reference, or base point, he surveyed out from there.

The current post is the sixth or seventh post since I’ve lived in this area.  It was made of upright boards, with a light at the top.  Many times, people would drive through it, either accidentally or for fun.

So, The late Billy Thompson decided to fix that, and before the boards went up on the next one he had a section of telephone pole imbedded in concrete, then the boards around it.  The next vehicle that hit it “for fun” was towed away.....

E52BD26D-BB47-46EC-A514-27E8A275253F.png

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, capngrog said:

Here's another one, located in Umatilla, Florida and built in 1926.  That's my 1968 Chevelle in for service.  Actually, this gas station has not pumped gasoline in quite some time, but has recently (the past 10 years or so) been an ice cream parlor, a nail salon, offices for an HVAC company, but now vacant.  I've tried to buy it, but, so far, it's not for sale.

image.thumb.jpeg.7a1f9d301de340bcb76fcea4c54dff0a.jpeg

Cheers,

Grog

My trans am came from Umatilla!

• Like 1

Dave:

I remember driving through White Post several years ago and lamenting that the run down remains of that station would be nice as a restored example. Time for another road trip with the 37 for a photo op.

I May be going down to Luray next week for the pre-war swap meet.