218ci Early Chrysler motor Blanking disc behind water pump impeller?

1930 Kram66

This maybe a silly question but going to ask anyway.

Is a thin metal disc required behind the water pump impeller on these early Chrysler motors?

Reason I ask , there is a machined recess in the block casting immediately behind where the water pump impeller runs. see photos

It looks like something should be there to separate the water pump  from the water jacket.

Also here in Australia 15-20 years ago there was a chap making and selling  a stainless steel blanking disc at swap meets etc.

I would like to know for sure before I install my water pump.

Thank you 

IMGP6635.JPG

IMGP6629.JPG

IMGP6633.JPG

So maybe some more information is needed to help someone answer or at least shed some light on my question.                                                                                                                                                  Over 20years ago i knew a then 80 something year old mechanic at that time he was still actively working on cars. He started his trade at a Chrysler dealership in Sydney in the late thirties. He was helping me with the rebuild of a Chrysler 65 engine. I would go to his shop and help with bits and pieces on the rebuild after I finished work. During one of these sessions he made a comment that has stuck in my mind all these years - he thought [maybe mistakenly] that the water pump was blocked off from the water jacket. I would really appreciate any thoughts or opinions as to the possibility of this being correct or completely wrong as the case may be. Maybe someone that has recently overhauled this type of engine may  have some thoughts.

PS If I am giving this way to much thought could in the words of Jim Carey   somebody stop me  😀

BTW  The only silly question is the question not asked .

Thanks

The parts book does not seem to show a blanking plate as you suggest, but does mention a thrust washer on some models.

I'm still trying to get the pump off my G70 motor, so don't know if my motor is the same as yours.

image.png.67366dc6d0860fc9416401520b5fbc78.png

It is hard to see from your picture if there is a hole thru into the water jacket as shown in the above picture. If there is no hole at this point then it will definitely not have a blank off plate.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Tim Wolfe said:

I have two Chrysler 218.6 engines and they do not have a plate behind the pump.

Thank you for your reply.

That has been my observation on three of these engines I have seen without the water pump in place. [ I suppose its feasible to imagine the possibility of it just corroding away?????]

So for my peace of mind could I ask this ......

Are you able to drive reasonably long distances [say at least 60km 35miles] in various traffic and road conditions [ie slow moving, steep hills etc] in the heat of summer without any overheating issues .

As I mentioned in my first post, a part was  [then at least 20years ago] being made for these engines . At that time the maker / seller  claimed that these engines would overheat without it. Why would some one go to this much effort if its not required?

I realize there are many causes of engines to overheat, I am just trying to rule this possibility out before I install my pump and radiator etc. As it would be a relatively simple job at present.

Cheers

True that the engine does run very warm, I use water wetter and that helps. A radiator shroud would really help but I show for points. Keeping the engine tuned up helps a lot too. I do not run a thermostat. I have driven up to 50 miles, car hates parades!

I have a spare 268 cu in engine that I'll check behind he water pump.

I'm still looking for an intake manifold for a 218 with a downdraft can. Using JB Weld on mine .

I run a blanking disc in my 1929 '75'. I have found that it makes absolutely no difference to running temperature.

When I first put my car on the road I fitted (what I thought) a brass welsh plug behind the water pump. The engine was fitted with one when I dismantled it. The welsh plug rusted out. (so much for supposedly being brass) I ran the car for about ten years without one. On the last rebuild I fitted a stainless steel plug. Its been running fine since then. But I don't see any difference in running temperature.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lozrocks said:

I run a blanking disc in my 1929 '75'. I have found that it makes absolutely no difference to running temperature.

When I first put my car on the road I fitted (what I thought) a brass welsh plug behind the water pump. The engine was fitted with one when I dismantled it. The welsh plug rusted out. (so much for supposedly being brass) I ran the car for about ten years without one. On the last rebuild I fitted a stainless steel plug. Its been running fine since then. But I don't see any difference in running temperature.

Thank you for your reply

Well, that is very interesting, thanks for sharing this information here.

This helps me out tremendously with moving forward on my project.

Cheers