Dodge Dependable Trucks 15 Cwts to 2 Tons British Brochure

Henry Boler

Hi All,

I spent the evening last night scanning in my original Dodge Brothers brochure printed in England by Dodge Brothers Britain Ltd. in 1932.

This has some really interesting information inside, especially for my British UF-10, but I thought this would be of interest to you all.

http://henrefurb.com/files/dodge_dependable_trucks.pdf

You can find more on my actual truck by visiting https://www.youtube.com/henrefurb

Cheers,

Henry

Edited by Henry Boler (see edit history)
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Surf City '38 said:

Great stuff Henry, Cwt? Chassis Weight?

Not really something we use these days, but see below...

A hundredweight (abbreviated as cwt) is a standard unit of weight or mass used in certain commodities trading contracts. In North America, a hundredweight is equal to 100 pounds; in the United Kingdom, a hundredweight is 112 pounds.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Can anyone tell us what this part is that is mounted behind the oil filter directly above the starter? Horn maybe ? 

The picture is from the 30 CWT

Thanks for sharing it Henry. Good stuff :) 

image.png.e850b961e9d9fdbe1df81221e49aa91c.png

That is what my horn looks like on the 15Cwt. Don’t know what the big cylinder with the pipe out the bottom is. Don’t have that on mine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Henry Boler said:

So is that not on any of the US trucks then? It’s not on mine either.

I have not seen a factory installed unit, only ones I've seen have been dealer installed or after market, like the one below.

Also US horns are a bit different...and they mount on the top US drivers side two rear head bolts.

$(KGrHqF,!oEFJNVmNE2hBSYS0sCgK!~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqV,!rkFJUWf7Y1sBSYS0L!EUQ~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16J,!zYFIb0MC8i)BSYS0DIQj!~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16V,!yUFIb5v5Kj(BSYS06zKnQ~~60_57.JPG

IMG_2406.JPG

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Surf City '38 said:

I have not seen a factory installed unit, only ones I've seen have been dealer installed or after market, like the one below.

Also US horns are a bit different...and they mount on the top US drivers side two rear head bolts.

$(KGrHqF,!oEFJNVmNE2hBSYS0sCgK!~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqV,!rkFJUWf7Y1sBSYS0L!EUQ~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16J,!zYFIb0MC8i)BSYS0DIQj!~~60_57.JPG

$T2eC16V,!yUFIb5v5Kj(BSYS06zKnQ~~60_57.JPG

IMG_2406.JPG

That’s interesting.

I do, however, have a spanner to throw in the works and that is from ArticiferTom who’s US UF-10 pickup has the same horn as mine and the book.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Surf City '38 said:

To be fair, yours is '32 and mine is a '38, and yours has a few more Cwts than mine!

Mine is actually a ‘31 which makes the story behind where the book came from even more interesting! It has some stamps and names that I removed which are from different garages and people than the one it was sold from...

But yes, maybe a 15 Cwts and higher thing for the horn.

• Like 1

Yes , Henry and my horns and seen a few others are the same .That pancake horn on earlier cars was mounted out on headlight bar . My bar still carries mount holes from production . They where moved inside, assume did not handle weather well out there . And latter used bugle style horns . The oil filters maybe found factory on larger cwt trucks . Dave may chime in knowing more on 3/4 , 1 tonners .

• Like 1

Henry, I do not see a heater hose bib or plug, on the head, could it be located somewhere else on the block? 

Also never thought about it, but with your worm gear (steering box) on our (US) passenger side, being so close to the manifolds and fuel pump, was there any space for a hand to fit?

2 hours ago, Surf City '38 said:

Henry, I do not see a heater hose bib or plug, on the head, could it be located somewhere else on the block? 

Also never thought about it, but with your worm gear (steering box) on our (US) passenger side, being so close to the manifolds and fuel pump, was there any space for a hand to fit?

I’m not entirely sure what you mean there but I don’t have a heater in my truck. Don’t think there is any mention of that option in the book either.

Yeah, the steering was really tight in there. When I first got the thing running I remember trying to get the oil pump to prime and I couldn’t access it or remove the steering. Not sure either can be removed without actually removing the engine first.

1 hour ago, Henry Boler said:

I’m not entirely sure what you mean there but I don’t have a heater in my truck. Don’t think there is any mention of that option in the book either.

They were not options from the factory, however the engine would have a plug in the head, that could be taken out and replaced with a elbow bib and attached to a heater core installed under the dash, all after market or dealer installed.

Perhaps the '31 did not have that....🤷‍♂️

IMG_5353_LI.jpg

2 hours ago, ArticiferTom said:

No , not that easy . The '31 4 cylinders did not have . I have also seen taps in side corner driver side . Mine they used old coolant siphon hole cap and brazed in tap . On in side brazed tap in elbow reduction pipe from bottom radiator to water pump inlet .

Thanks Tom...stay safe over there.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 11:57 AM, Henry Boler said:

So is that not on any of the US trucks then? It’s not on mine either.

We do have them on ours. Here are a couple of examples

The 3/4 ton 1929-1930 (possibly other years also) had Purolator SA2 models installed for original equipment. I know I read it somewhere but haven't been able to locate it the past couple of nights..

Here in these first two scans are what the Purolator on the 3/4 ton looks like. Notice it's laying down on one 3/4 ton setup (model DA124) and upright on the other 3/4 ton setup (model DA120). The third scan is of a 1930 Purolator catalog showing the various shapes and sizes. I believe the one that would have been original in your brochure is the EA 1/2 or EF 1/2 Purolator. 

Will keep looking for more validating documents in order to show other possible models of DB trucks that may have used them. 

34.jpg

26.jpg

Purolator 1.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Very well, my knowledge base does not go earlier than '36...I have never seen a factory installed '36-'38...only dealer and aftermarket...thank you for educating me Dave.

Hey Alan,  trust me, we are all being educated continuously.

Henry's posting of this brochure is a fine example of that premise and we are all learning from it thanks to his willingness to share the material. 

;) 

As for the Purolator being provided from the factory on ALL of the DB trucks during this timeframe? I highly doubt it was provided on all of them. I was only pointing out documents showing it was used on the models I'm familiar with. When looking at other literature for the 1/2 ton models,  (the F10 and UF10) I'm not seeing a Purolator filter in any of the 1/2 ton literature I have, nor have I found proof of Purolators in the Merchant Express or the Fargo Packet 1/2 ton owners manuals respectfully.

If anyone has owners manuals or brochures for the US made 1/2 ton models that show a Purolator we would appreciate you sharing it with us...

• Like 1