1949 Super Sedanette on eBay - FS

Dan O

Agreed it is very nice BUT there has to be a limit, market conditions wise, to what a nice older closed car goes for in these days.  I don't have $28K, and apparently this car will likely end with NO BIDS and no offers.  

It is always true, now even for convertibles, it simply is not cost effective to restore any car. None.  But, there are those who do it as a hobby.  Those days are nearly over too.  

For me, IF I had $28,000 or so, my mind starts to develop a 4-5 car collection.  Not on spending on one car.  But, there are retirees with boat loads of cash that can then run this same scenario through their minds using a $125,000 budget for 4-5 cars.  We see them sitting in the auctions on Velocity channel or Motor Trend channel BJ and Mecum on TV.   They have a beer gut, shorts on, grey hair, sometimes a pony tail and they are bidding nonsensical money on a Camaro or Mustang. 

Those guys have the cash but cars like this are not in their wheelhouse, usually.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

Agreed it is very nice BUT there has to be a limit, market conditions wise, to what a nice older closed car goes for in these days.  I don't have $28K, and apparently this car will likely end with NO BIDS and no offers.  

It is always true, now even for convertibles, it simply is not cost effective to restore any car. None.  But, there are those who do it as a hobby.  Those days are nearly over too.  

For me, IF I had $28,000 or so, my mind starts to develop a 4-5 car collection.  Not on spending on one car.  But, there are retirees with boat loads of cash that can then run this same scenario through their minds using a $125,000 budget for 4-5 cars.  We see them sitting in the auctions on Velocity channel or Motor Trend channel BJ and Mecum on TV.   They have a beer gut, shorts on, grey hair, sometimes a pony tail and they are bidding nonsensical money on a Camaro or Mustang. 

Those guys have the cash but cars like this are not in their wheelhouse, usually.  

Bryan, I have to laugh that you mention those Mecum (etc) characters. I see them too and am always amazed. I'm so glad that they travel in their lanes and we in ours. I don't relate to their interests and they don't much interfere with ours. If they did, we could never compete.

• Like 1

About 7 years ago I had a '48 super sedanet and really liked it.  I got it for 14G's and sold it for 18G's.  It was a black car but it did need a paint job however it did have the broadcloth interior, gauges restored and the dashboard was painted and chrome restored.  At the time there were people telling me if I painted it the value of the car would increase by 10 grand.  So I sit here today and see this '49 and wonder about the 28 grand price.

I am a car inspector and have been very busy with classic car inspections and think to myself is the market really depressed?  Or could it be the lower end of the market is depressed and the other part of market is going well.  Or maybe people are picking these cars up at greats deals.  

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, deac said:

About the 7 years ago I had a '48 super sedanet and really liked it.  I got it for 14G's and sold it for 18G's.  It was a black car but it did need a paint job however it did have the broadcloth interior, gauges restored and the dashboard was painted and chrome restored.  At the time there were people telling me if I painted it the value of the car would increase by 10 grand.  So I sit here today and see this '49 and wonder about the 28 grand price.

I am a car inspector and have been very busy with classic car inspections and think to myself is the market really depressed?  Or could it be the lower end of the market is depressed and the other part of market is going well.  Or maybe people are picking these cars up at greats deals.  

Your input is appreciated.  I am proven wrong often.   But I cant believe I'm alone.  I'm 56 almost 57, have a nice income, not nearly where I want to be retirement savings wise and would have to borrow to buy this car.  Am I a bottom feeder?  Not sure.  I just know $28,000 is beyond my means.  

I always feel that copying the text 

from the ad--and the contact information--

may be helpful if any forum member wants

to contact the owner after a while:

"1949 Buick Super 2 door Sedanette Fireball Straight 8 automatic

low mileage very original car 49000 miles

Chrome and paint are brilliant and show well

very solid car ,undercarriage is very clean

runs and drives great

One high quality repaint on straight original body

engine has been pulled and resealed and painted

wide white wall tires , with glamour trim rings

interior is beautiful and shows very well

VERY RARE BODY DESIGN

PRICED TO SELL PLEASE CALL 919 449 4768 ROB"

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

The '49s are big beautiful cars.  I love the styling of the rear end on the '49s.  But there is something to be said for the long sweeping front fenders of the '46 through '48 models! 

Edited by deac (see edit history)